RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
No clue on the picture. Any improvements using the new swing arm? I’ve been tempted to swap mine for a Versys arm but since I only commute I’m guessing it’s not going to be noticeable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It was much lighter than the original And so should help the new shock control the suspension better. I can’t comment on its performance beyond this because I haven’t run the bike for many kms as yet. From what I’ve read it is more rigid and those that do track days say they can tell it is because they can’t feel chain friction under power so I’d say that for a commuter it’ may not be worth it. Aesthetically though it’s much better.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The 6inch rear wheel is on and so is a 180 section tyre. Used the original spacers, Cush drive and brake disc. Put the drag bars back on as I wasn’t feeling the clip ons worked well for me. Quite happy with how it’s going. Bigger brakes up next and then the rear shock and later I’ll figure out what to do with the tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Received Brembo 330mm front discs, 15mm spacers and 90mm bolts for calipers. Received and fitted a Matris steering damper(with bracket)
R1 rear shock, Eibach spring with 1100 LBS spring (suited for me, bike+gear), new needle bearing to replace the top bushing. Measuring everything up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
ALso did you have to space out your rear master cylinder to clear the swingarm with your rear sets ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The steering damper bracket is for a 2010 er6. It needed nothing done to it to fit the z1 top clamp. My bars are spaced up though so i did have to use a longer bolt on the head stem bracket and some spacers underneath. If it was stock it would fit straight on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Rear shock is nearly finished just need some seals and bushes.
Waiting on some other brake components front and rear. Rear disk and front ABS ring. Going for a 250mm rear disk with Nissin rear caliper from a Versys. The front as I said going with 330mm brembo discs just need that ring. Once the brakes are set up and working I’ll measure and buy the braided lines.
Also bought a bar with some rise in it. The drag bar is nice but I don’t like the visual mass that the z1 riser adds to the front of the bike.
More to come

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
WOnt mention the dramas i had to day but bigger brake rotors installed front and back. Z1 master cylinder installed. All bled and working.
Need to get the back shock on now and its functionally finished. Then i can start on the cosmetic side B3EC32FA-DACA-4AC6-B82E-A0545F3B2ABF.jpeg

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Updated added clip ons, grips, new master cylinder, new throttle tube and cables, new clutch perch. Added lever guards, and swapped over to a smaller kill switch unit.
More info on the switch swap here

581B536A-BFAF-4348-91A5-ADF1935BCDCB.jpeg
D2245392-EF48-4DAD-9B8A-36B7EBECE896.jpeg
1C912F84-742D-4632-999B-752286AA17AA.jpeg
Also decided that I’ll be changing a few other bits :p

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
After upgrading the brakes to 2012 Z1000 spec Ive started to look at the aesthetics of the fluid reservoir. You can see in the pics that its rather large, white plastic piece atop the front end of the bike.
I started looking at different reservoirs and a company called British customs. They make a nice billet item that mounts directly on the Nissin master cylinders.

The only issue with these is that theyre tall but otherwise do without the mount and the hose .... neat yeah?
This got me looking into master cylinders themselves and after digging around i found that the most desirable cylinders are the famous brembo RCS 19. They have 19mm or 3/4 inch cylinders.
They aren’t the only ones though and some of the later z1000’s (the rr in particular) are also 19mm if you can find one. Well i got lucky and picked one up on eBay for the same price i got my 11/16inch one. Then i noticed something.... I couldn’t use the British customs reservoir as the RR uses a direct mount reservoir standard and the one i had bought didnt have it attached... no wonder it was cheap. Ive since found these rizoma pieces ct028’s and theyre specifically made to fit direct on the RR cylinder

If your looking for a standard nissin 3/4 inch master then the Suzuki gsxr600’s use them as well as others ... The 3/4 is cast on the bottom of the cylinder... happy shopping !

I also got the ****s and bought some other parts. Ill post pics for those interested.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts