RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Ozninjaguy.

Ive had a message from another forum member about the r1 Shock. It is precisely the correct length for an er6 295mm between bushing centres at either end
Need to get confirmation on the correct spring to use for my weight but that will be coming from my suspension tuner but more on that later.
Looking for tail ideas and the flat tracker pieces have my interest the most as they dont look toooo cafe-ish and im not a fan of the German style tails either. Looking for something MV Augusta Brtale dragster ish.... If that’s a thing ?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
This forum is pretty dead. People have moved on to facebook groups and other forums. I check it every couple days or so and there are like 3 unread posts. It pretty much died when it was sold to some corporation.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This forum is pretty dead. People have moved on to facebook groups and other forums. I check it every couple days or so and there are like 3 unread posts. It pretty much died when it was sold to some corporation.
Yes, this forum seems to be dying out, much like the BRP forum. I always found it useful for technical information & product reviews, even when it wasn't necessarily a mod that I would be doing myself (like the mods AusEr6huy is doing). And I liked the trip descriptions just for fun.

AusEr6guy, good luck with your project.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah i used to have a facebook account. I found it to be a horrible place and so i started going back to forums because the way that threads are organised is a better way (for me) I think that facebook has killed the forums but id still rather be here.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A flat bar, 25mm risers for the z1 triple, a 750 rear wheel, and i bought some new paddock stands. All coming this week. I go on holidays next week but im likely to take some time off in November to fit it all up. I cant wait. Can you guys post up any ER6’s with nice tail grafts on them? I bought a pair of pillion handle block offs but i cant stand the tail and i know im going to end up changing it at some point.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For those looking to mount an R1 shock - rather than drill the needle bearing out - I found a reference on a Versys forum you can just replace the needle bearing. The other end is mild steel can be knocked out with a socket and drilled.
It's a NBS needle bearing NA6901 (outside diameter = 24 mm, inside diameter of sleeve= 12 mm, width = 22 mm

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
View attachment yzfr1 shock.pdf If you want to know how to adjust the R1 shock I found the manual for my model and ive extracted the two pages
Essentially it has the following adjustments that would usually be available on a premium aftermarket shock
  • Spring preload
  • High speed compression
  • Low speed compression
  • Rebound
Not bad for the money

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Had a quick look at the 04-06 z750 wheel and it doesnt look like its a straight fit. I didn’t take the wheel off or anything though and my measurements were EXTREMELY crude. If it doesnt work out ill chuck it back on eBay.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I didn't know that the forum was sold...interesting. I just assumed that most of the previously active members either moved on to other forums, or FB, or sold their 650 (or other bike) and didn't bother hanging around. Lets face it - the Ninja 650 is pretty much an antique these days and although it is fairly popular in Oz because it is a 650cc bike (throttled down to 250cc performance).,.it's still nothing special.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yes, this forum seems to be dying out, much like the BRP forum. I always found it useful for technical information & product reviews, even when it wasn't necessarily a mod that I would be doing myself (like the mods AusEr6huy is doing). And I liked the trip descriptions just for fun.
Agreed. Used to be a lot of good advice/discussions here - but not much worth dropping by for now...oh well - that's life in the digital world.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Found a bike that ended up being almost where i want mine ending up. (Except for the turbo and it was a versys to begin with)
z1000sx front end - looks like 5mm spacers so 310mm front discs(ill be doing the same except 10mm spacers for 320mm discs)
Custom tail - Still undecided on this.
Widened rear - will go the 6 inch.
Lots of custom work (look at the dodgy overflow bottle lol)
(Go into settings for German translation)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
So today was the first day that I actually did work on the bike. I had the front end torn down in a few hours and with the help of some good mates the z1000sx fork was on in no time
Didn't have enough time to do much else but fit a drag bar and fit the rear sets. The bike is looking a lot closer to the image I had in my head now. Feels a lot better to sit on. ill find out how she rides soon enough. The drag bar though.... holy hell why didn't I do that sooner??? :)

Ill try and upload some pics

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So a few facts
I was mistaken about the steering stops on the z1000sx bottom triple. They aren't in the same place at all. Will need to redress this at some point
The ignition barrel from the 650 looks like it fits in the 04 z1000 top triple but doesn't. Taking the cap off the top didn't help.
The front wheel from the 650 went straight on to the z1000sx forks.
the callipers from the 2016 z1000 fit up ok. bolts arrive tomorrow
The RSV rear sets fit on ok with much swearing and tossing of toys out of my pram. The youtube video from Tremonte makes it look easy but in reality take 'some' fiddling
Cant wait for another free day so I can finish it all and actually ride the thing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Working on the bike again today. Bought some new bits, scored a mint Versys swingarm fro 100AUD which is one quarter of what ive seen others go for. Of all places it came from here in Australia!
Today’s jobs will be
Seeing if the z750 rear wheel will bolt in. If not will figure out what needs to be done.
Bleed the front and rear brakes,
Wire up headlight

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
22B7A3BE-6069-4AC3-BF28-F3801750CC2B.jpeg I adjusted the rearsets and checked the geometry of the bike.
The front need to come up from my measured front height (63cm from the tip of the front indicators to the ground)
I removed the handlebar risers I dont think ill use them. Added a few small billet pieces like a sprocket cover, oil plug and lever clamps to get rid of the old mirror mounts. I wired the headlight and dummied up a bracket to see how itll sit

21 - 40 of 94 Posts