RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This monster is on the Kawasaki website. That engine sure looks familiar, and being a police (2002 Police 1000) bike you would assume it had some go. What I want to know is where is this engine sourced from, the old Z1R ? You think they could build a ZR-1 from it ??

:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi Mike,

The engine looks to be a KZ1000, similar to the Z1900 and 1000 and Z1-R 1000.

I wouldn't bet on the performance of that bike though, it must be super heavy and unstable at high speed due to the police fairing.
I suppose it must be a detuned version instead of a 'tuned' as these fairings make the bikes wobble really bad after 160-180 km/h.

Did you see the post about my bike getting fixed? At last!

Aris

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
There's a guy around here who has one just like this one, complete with flashing lights and sirens. His plate is "PONCH." I think this bike looks great. Any Kawi in line four with an exposed engine does it for me. They're all great, a lineage, long and mighty.

Come on, you don't watch Chips re-runs ?

Tony.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Our police department here in Fayetteville, NC has a small fleet of beemers. One of the MSF instructors I had during my course rides one on duty and says they are fantastic. His personal bike is a Gold Wing, however. I think the Sheriffs department for the county still ride H-D's. Tom

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading about guys doing an 880cc kit on the ZR-7, I was wondering if the 1000cc lump from the police bike would fit into a ZR-7 frame? Would have to be a rocket wouldn't it?

I applaud any Police Dept that continues to run Harleys....gives us all a chance to get home without a ticket :D . The COPS here mainly use 1100 Beemers and those guys can fly.... :?

:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I seen something last friday that was odd. There was a H-D 1200 Sporster (shortster) on Otay Mesa with all the cops stuff on it. I couldn't get close enough to read what city he was from though. I know the CHP did a test on the 1200 shorster a year or two ago for a "Chase" bike, but stuck with the BMW. (Can't figure that one out. Boat anchor with a v-twin motor attached to it :( ?) I like H-D, just not as a "Chase" bike. :cool:

·
3,610 Posts
The sheriff's office here (Leon County, Tallahasssee FL) has H-D Sporters. They don't have much of a fairing, just a windshield. The Tallahassee Police Department on the other hand rides the big H-D road kings. Haven't seen a BMW copper yet, I'm glad too, b/c these H-D's are really slow lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts