RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the bars, anti-vibe ends, and some grips. I am hoping to get a much better feel and riding position without spending the bigger chunk of cash on the sport bar kit or having to make a bunch of mods to do clip-ons. Any opinions or lessons learned while mounting would be appreciated...

thanx

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
yikes, hope you arent planning a lot of > 1 hour rides.

Heck when I had those for the two weeks I could stand them, I couldnt ride for more than about 20-30 minutes before I got serious pain in my palms from the pressure they put on your hands. With no pullback, you cant get a natural grip on them with the way the bike puts your weight. They call 'em drag bars for a reason...I wouldnt want to use them for more than a 1/4 mile at a time.

But hey, for ~$30 you can afford to try them out for yourself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am in the exact same boat as you. I am still waiting on mine to ship. I ordered them from 650shop on the 5th... not impressed that it's over a week later and they have not even shipped. I ordered the Pro Grip 719's from Motorcycle Superstore. What grips are you getting? I heard that the colored 719's turn back quickly, but I am hoping this is partly the fault of glove dyes used, not due to crappy grips.

I plan on adding a bar snake or some 2 part urethane to the inside of the bar before I install it, in hopes of deadening some of the inevitable vibrations that will come. If you scour these forums enough, you'll get the idea that you get what you pay for with these bars, but we shall see... I just can't take the extreme inward angle the stock bars force on my wrists.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you, I don't like the angle... nor do I really care for the very upright riding position with the stock bars. I don't really see how these could be that bad. The geometry doesn't seem like it will be all that different from the sport bar kit... but we'll see. Oh & I got the progrip 725. I don't expect a lot out of them given how cheap they are but we'll see with those too. I really hope I don't have to wait as long as you have been... that's not cool at all. Let me know when you get yours & maybe post some pics...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I heard that the colored 719's turn back quickly,

They do turn black pretty fast.... i had them about a week before i noticed some discoloration.... oh well lesson learned, they are still very comfortable and don't look that bad. They don't look as good as when they were first put on though....

Edit** i don't know how to do quotes yet either so bear with me here..... haha

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Edit** i don't know how to do quotes yet either so bear with me here..... haha
You just click on the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. Then you can delete any words you don't want if you desire.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You just click on the "quote" button at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. Then you can delete any words you don't want if you desire.
Oooo ok i think the confusion was that i accidentally deleted the "end quote" code at the end when i was trying to pick out the part i wanted

·
Registered
171 Posts
well, I got a confirmation email that says my bars and grips are on back order for 1-2 weeks... :yell:
I got one that says mine shipped today and should be here in NH on the 24th... ordered on the 5th. This is a disappointment. I'd have paid twice as much for timely delivery. Free shipping means nothing when it's a 3-week lead time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
These DO improve riding position for me and I do really like the look as compared to the *** stock bar. However, they DO vibrate like a mofo. I still plan on filling them with some heavy urethane and metal material, but not until I decide if I can get good positioning and fit/clearance. BTW, the bikemaster "anti-vibration" bar ends are crap. They way like .000001% of an ounce and the finish quality is shoddy at best with a visible amount if pitting.

I scratched the **** out of the finish during the install. Not that big of a deal since I could just repaint them I suppose, but an annoyance none the less. This was mostly because I had to loosen, tighten... over and over again, trying to get an angle that would allow me to have full lock in both directions without hitting the tank or the windshield and mirrors. That, by the way, is pretty much impossible for my 09. As is now, at full lock, the brake lever almost actuates the switch as it hits the edge of the windshield and this is with about 3-5 mm clearance at the tank. I am going to try a little more angle adjustment tomorrow.

The current angle is slightly upward. I would have preferred a straight back or slightly downward angle, but neither of these seem possible to achieve left lock with.

I am also going to flip the banjo, but just to get the bars on, I loosened the left and removed the right bolt that hold on that tidying wire cage to the front of the frame, which allowed me to swing it outward (pivoting on left bolt) and reroute the brake line outside of the cage. I may put it back inside the cage if flipping the banjo will allow it.

Pics to follow if I do not say F it and put the stock bar back on.

My 719 grips have not turned black at all as was posted repeatedly by others. I think this comes down to choice and color/quality of gloves.

·
Registered
540 Posts
argghhh... i want slightly lower/sportiers bar but I am NOT looking forward to dealing with all those clearance issues on an 09. the tank and windshield especially.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I could not eliminate the clearance issues. I have been able to lower them a tad more, but not much. I can hit left lock, but when I put it into left lock, I have to be careful, else it will hit the tank at precisely the moment of left ock. I set it this way. Somehow, once the bar is locked with the key, it does not hit, as if there is more limited movement and I feel I NEED to have my steering key locked. However, the brake lever is still (almost) actuated by the windshield and right side mirror. If I move the right side mirror any further forward, it would be useless.

I like the position enough and the harsher than stock vibes are tolerable enough to keep them on for the rest of the season, which for me should be about 2-3 more months. Over the winter I will take them off, refinish due to all the unsightly scratches I put in during the PIA install, and I will also, as previously mentioned, be filling with urethane and heavy metal material. Lastly, I will flip the banjo, bleed the front line, and adapt the stock bar end weights to fit these bars. All that should make them more practical.

Going back 4 weeks ago, would I buy them knowing what I know now? No. I would wait until I have the $$$ for something better. I particularly like the look of the Suburban Machinery bars I've seen a few members here have installed.

As you can see from these pics, they are significantly lower than stock. The angle is barely upward, mostly straight back. No downward angle was possible without severely limiting travel limits. The Yosh decal is hiding an install scar.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The key lock comes into play before you actually hit the limit of movement on the bars. That would be why they do not hit the tank when you lock them.

Took me a long time to figure out why I had such a hard time locking my bars until I realized the "locking point" as I'll call it is actually before the steering stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.