RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here live in Georga???

I will be flying down there on Thursday to visit my mom. She lives in Jackson, it's about half way between Atlanta and Macon. She says it is in the sticks, but she just built a new there house so it can't be all bad. I have never been to the state before so I don't know. But she has lived there for about 13 years now.

Wish I was riding the ZR-7 down :mecry: I would bring a helmet if I thought someone would loan me a bike :~ (ya right) :~

Chris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your Mom is right..... Jackson is in the sticks:laugh: How long are you staying? Not that you will want to leave right away :rolleyes:
I hope that you pack plenty of reading material. Ft. Benning isn't that far from there. If you want to go and watch the Army Airborne train. Oh yeah and there is......hmmm.....thinking......(sound of crickets)................
Nope, that is about all there is to do within (however many miles it back to Atlanta) around Jackson.
Get the picture?
Have Fun:laugh:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luvchld-

Sigh... I was afraide of that. At least it "probably" won't be snowing there. It is all of 25 here now and snowing this morning. Weather.com says it will be in the 60's most of my stay. :rolleyes:

All I have to do while I am there is not speak.... that way they won't know I am from New York :eek: Don't want to **** off the scary kid with the banjo!!!

I will only be staying until Monday afternoon, you can drop your bike off Thursday night.... :laugh:

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
In Georgia

I am in GA. I am probably about an hour or so West of Jackson. Jackson is off I-75 while Newnan is of of I-85. GA isn't too bad, but even being here for 12 years now, people can still pick up on my northern accent from Wisconsin. Hey Chris, I have relatives that live up in the Saratoga Springs are in NY. I don't think I have been up that way since '87 or so.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, small world BlueLghtning. hhhmmm from Wisco, relitives in Saratoga, and you live in GA. You don't work for Quad Graphics do you?

My trip went well, pretty uneventful wich is a good thing. Never got searched at the airports.

BUT....Man "ya'all" have some SCARRY drivers on "them there" 8 lane highways. Every time we left to go anywhere we got stuck in a traffic jam on I-75 caused by a an accident....errr a "wreck" There are these things on cars up here in NY called directional signels, or blinkers if you will. Seems people down there have never heard of them.

We went to Stone Mountain, The Underground in Atlanta, and checked out Atlanta it self a bit. It was a LOT smaller than I expected, but then again I am use to NYC, I go there a lot. Atlanta was EMPTY on Sunday, I guess "ya'all" were at the race or in church. And that's aniother thing, I didn't know Georgia was the buckle of the bible belt. Man I have never seen so many churches!!!

I don't think I will be moving there any time soon. Everything is WAY to spread out. Miles and miles of housing devlopments but no stores. Hell it is 20 mins just to get gas from my moms house. And it is FLAT too... I kind of thought it was when we were driving around but when we went to Stone Mt, that confirmed it. GA is pretty flat compared to what I am use to.

Oh well... it was a nice place to visit. I may try to make the trip on the ZR-7 this summer.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow small world - Quad Graphics

Hey Chris. Wow this is a small world. I don't work for Quad Graphics, but my dad does. (Bruce Heming) He was the 11th employee hired at Quad in Pewaukee, WI back in 1972. You would think he would be a big VP now, but I guess he got comfortable running presses and all, so he has always just been in the press room all these years. Anyway, in 1990 he transferred to Thomaston when they opened that plant and now he is at the Rock plant. As for Saratoga Springs, my Aunt and Uncle - Bill & Peggy Neilio both work at Quad up there. I know Peggy teaches quite a bit. She will come down to GA a few times a year to teach stuff. I am not quite sure what department Bill is in.

So does this mean you work for them too, or are you just real familiar with the company?

Didn't you know the Atlanta Motor Speedway is not down in Hampton GA, its thats big oval I-285 that runs around Atl. Oh yeah, it extends out I-85 & I-75 too. Hey since you were in a cage you didn't even experience the fun of it. You got to get out on those interstates on a bike to really get the full affect :~

Now do you understand why when we get rain or even worse a little snow, it just caues complete chaos in the city. They need to amend the driver test to include wet driving maneuvers so people learn how to drive in that stuff.

Yeah, we do grow churhes here on every corner just about and stuff is spread out. Newnan is an up and coming city, so we have pretty much everything here in this town, but I am still used to driving an hour just for a night on the town to go to the other side of Atlanta.

I am glad you had a safe trip. Maybe sometime in the future I can move out of this town and go elsewhere. Cali sure sounds impressive from what Andy and others talk about, but man I just don't know if I could handle that price increase for everything.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is to strange... REAL small world

Well... I don't work for Quad any more but I did work for them for 9 years in the press room. I quit 2 1/2 years ago to work on computers and networks full time. I know both Bill & Peg, I doubt they would remember me, but I took classes taught by both of them. When I left Bill was running a press on and off and teaching press related classes. WOW your dad has been there a LONG time.... he must have started with Jim Melton or shortly there after.

Small World
Chris

·
Registered
660 Posts
Everytime I have to go to Atlanta (Norcross) for work I wish I could bring my bike. There is not a single straight street in that town. I swear the streets were laid out by a couple of drunken hillbillies while chasing rabbits. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
They remember you Chris

Hey Chris, I wrote my Aunt & Uncle and they both remember you. So either you made a really good impression or really bad! LOL. Just kidding, they had all good things to say. My Aunt said she was glad to see you got into computers.

Yeah, I know who Jim Melton is. I would imagine that is around the time my dad started.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Jet,

Coming from Arizona I can see your point. You might also think it's very green here in comparison. But I would have to side with Chris on this one. The roads here are gentle curves compared to alot of Appalachia and the Northeast. And not near as green in vegetation as well.

But on the other hand we haven't lost 2 tires, frontends, axles, etc.. on a single Man-eating pothole. Wanna buy some "boilt peanuts"?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Map!

Sidebar time. Hey Jet, what do you do for a living? Just wondering where or how you learned about that Map page?

Dj

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jet-
Look between 10 and 50 miles north/north west of Saratoga. I go most of my riding in the mountains.

BlueLghtning-
That's cool they remember me, they are good people. Again...what a SMALL world we live in.

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts