RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to probably order these springs in the next week and swap them in with my next oil change. Just curious if anyone on here has done this and what they think of the difference after. Any install advice would be great, anything I should avoid, etc. I have the pdf install file saved, just curious if anyone has had any experiences that warrant mentioning.:darth:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Gary I think sells them and swears by them, but wait until he confirms that before ordering as I have been known to be wrong about 85% of the time!!!!:buttkick:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have always encountered their springs to be stiffer then stock.
As a rule of thumb, around here, we dont use their springs.

Ive used Barnett clutches for more years then I care to say.
On everything from old Z1s, CBs, KZs, ZXs and CBRs...
Even a few smoker RDs and H2s.

I learned real quick, for a daily driver, around town bike, do not
use their springs unless you want a work out for your left hand.

And needless to say, everyone that has heard what I just said
here, reinstalled their stock ones with in a few weeks.

Unless that bike was going to the drag strip, we kept stock as
long as they were still good.

Just out of curiosity...
Why are you wanting to replace yours?
And if you are going to replace your springs, replace your clutch
pack also.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Stock springs vary from 52-56 inch lbs
Standard Barnett 56-58
The ones I have them make for me are 62-68
I've sold over 40 sets of the custom springs, and have yet
have any complaints . Yes your hand gets more of a workout.
Hint, try exercising, a good grip = better control.
You're not riding a moped.
End result: much improved clutch response and long clutch
plate life.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well there ya go.
Out the experts mouth.
Bad form and wrong assumption of what I and others have
been riding and how we have been riding for years.
So glad that all got cleared up.
Get your heavier clutch springs and get your improved clutch
response and longer clutch plate life.

Just answering the question...
I'm going to probably order these springs in the next week and swap them in with my next oil change. Just curious if anyone on here has done this and what they think of the difference after. Any install advice would be great, anything I should avoid, etc. I have the pdf install file saved, just curious if anyone has had any experiences that warrant mentioning.:darth:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quite honestly, I would have to say that Gary's springs are the best value upgrade for the 650r. Nobody seems to realize just how much slop the stock springs introduce into the driveline until they upgrade to springs that are consistently firm on engagement, predictable on their location in the lever throw and strong enough to reign in the power of the motor. You will not regret the addition of these springs, regardless of your riding style. Your hand will get stronger quickly; that is basically a non-issue. Biggest issue is do not dump your clutch unless you A. Want to wheelie B. Want to lock up the rear on a downshift.

·
Registered
41 Posts
P.S. - great improvement in low speed control through clutch slipping as well.

All that said, if you don't have decent control of your bike yet, stay with the stock springs; they allow a greater amount of forgiveness for missed shifts, imperfect rev matching and heavy throttle upshifts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had the Gary sourced Barnetts for a couple years now on my 650R. The 120lb girls manage just fine doing parking lot training with them (very clutch intense). On the road they don't have any issues or complaints.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
i have BRP springs too. honestly 40 bucks shipped is the best money i spent on my ninja.

5 springs
1 new gasket

and a like new clutch feel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just ordered a set, good winter project...
Wondering if I will really notice a difference after not riding the bike for months??

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just ordered a set, good winter project...
Wondering if I will really notice a difference after not riding the bike for months??
dont worry.. you will

·
Registered
56 Posts
Clutch slipped on my racer before the motor was hopped up a bit installed them with the motor mods and now it launches off the starts perfectly, predictably and no slip when on the gas.

This upgrade is a must have on the ninja 650 in street trim or race.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Got home from work early today, it was 45 deg, partly sunny. So I decided that today was the day to do an oil change and install the springs.
Just got back from a quick ride around the block, very nice!!

Very worth while mod. Cant wait for spring. Got approx 4 months to go.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts