RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinion on "CastrolPower RS Racing 4T Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil - SAE 10W-40"

I'm about to change my motorcycle oil to Castrol Power RS Racing 4T Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil - SAE 10W-40, I looked around and couldn;t find the mobil 1 synthetic for motorcycle, the only one I found for 10W-40 was this Castrol ones and they are $10.00 bucks a quart, anybody who used them before? If so what are your opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
never used it but sure it'll be fine...it's 10-40

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No clue. I've never used a motorcycle specific oil in over 150k miles.
So it doesn't matter wheither you use motorcycle oil or normal oil?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Some people say it does, some say it doesn't. Most folks that I know, including most long distance riders and people with over 150k on one bike say it makes no difference as long as the oil you use doesn't have the "energy conserving" seal on the back. But, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just make sure it is safe for wet clutches, aka not energy conserving. I run Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 sythetic, it's in a gallon jug, dark blue and you can pick it up for about $20 at wally world. It works great.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Here is the link to Rotella T6 if you care to review. It has the proper specifications. If you ride in hotter weather, most information I read would suggest against the 5W-40 but I am in Nebraska so I am not too worried. Either way, it is designed to be a 40 weight at temp which is what matters anyway. As mentioned above, very good price for this stuff at Walmart.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...rotella-en/html/iwgen/products/t6_detail.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up using the CastrolPower RS Racing 4T Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil - SAE 10W-40 as one of my buddies told me that he is using it and that his bike run fine so far. I'll keep you updated if I notice any changes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rotella T-6 FTW! Runs fine, some say among the best and have the oil analysis to prove it, for much less $$$. No available sticker yet, if you put that kinda thing on yer bike. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just make sure it is safe for wet clutches, aka not energy conserving. I run Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 sythetic, it's in a gallon jug, dark blue and you can pick it up for about $20 at wally world. It works great.
Yep. Me too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
So it doesn't matter wheither you use motorcycle oil or normal oil?
Motorcycles rev more than cars, additionally, as engine integrates transmission and clutch, the oil also lubs the tranny and cools the wet clutch, unlike cars. Therefore, motorcycle oils are rated heavy duty, same as diesel engine oils which have same formulation.

This is why many riders buy Shell Rottela T6 which is heavy duty diesel engine oil because is a way of getting same stronger motorcycle formulation for less money.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The bit about energy conserving oil is up in the air too, I don't remember where it was but people that were testing the oil found that it really didn't make a difference. I use refular oil and for 30,000 mile have not had any problems I also change it every 3000.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can’t speak for my 650r as I have only run AMSOIL bike oil sense my first oil change. But I did try none motorcycle oil in my old 81 LTD 550 and it caused clutch slippage. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, but the Castrol Power is motorcycle specific. Also I found that since the oil change, my bike seems smoother than before, but it may just be a placebo effect.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
full synthetic 10-40. dont buy cheap oil or that blended crap. i get the motorcycle brand to support my local cycle gear shop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts