1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
We have a road similar to that around here called Lime Creek Road. All the squids get out there and wreck out all the time. Half of the motorcycle deaths you hear about here in Austin happen out on that road.

Of course, they can't ban motorcycles from a public road can they?? Sounds like discrimination based on how you chose to transport yourself from one place to another.

Wow....that was interesting. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thanks for the post martin :) i go here regularly and while most riders are responsible i'd say there are a few bad apples. maybe more than just a few. there are plenty of unreported dumps up there with people blaming the road, squirrels, their buddies, their tires, everything but themselves. it's not just military guys riding like this, there are lots of folks. tires in the parking lot at the top are regularly shredded up to and past the tread edge and some of these bike's owners have pony tails. on a busy day you'll hear lots of "near miss" stories. this kind of behavior is not resposible.

as i understand the speed limit up there is 55 so i probably speed when i'm there but not by much, maybe 60 or 65. i like the curves but i don't blow all out on the straights. what's the point? i know the throttle works and that doesn't involve any skill. whereas 40 through a corner can be legal, safe AND fun. i try to stay safe which may not be legal but where i feel comfortable for my safety and. more inportantly, the safety of others. and if i get a ticket i've got no right to ***** if i was breaking the law, safe or not.

i don't hang off in turns. i don't go past what i consider 70% of my abilities. i pass on the double yellow but only if the person pulls right to let me do so or if they're going slow enough that i can do it with minimal risk. if i can't pass i pull over and let the string of cars and rv's go ahead. i'll start off again once there's some clear road for me to use.

people don't seem to realize this isn't a racetrack. you can't guarantee clean asphalt. you can't guarantee no downed or broken down vehicles in front of you. you can't guarantee the oncoming vehicle won't enter your lane on the corner. you should ride accordingly.

for all the *******s there are plenty of responsible riders INCLUDING lots of military guys. they stay in their lane, don't spook other riders or drivers and don't push the envelope. again, they may be speeding but they try to stay safe. and i would say this is the way the majority of riders behave.

banning military personnel is stupid. are there even any hard numbers as to how many ticket go to militarty vs. non military riders? there are plenty of other riders and the military guys will just go somewhere else and ride the same way. moving the problem doesn't solve it.

ride responsibly. you don't need to push the envelope to enjoy a sporty ride. if you do, find a track day and pay a few buck for the privelege. if you're on a public road you've got a responsibility to keep everyone safe by keeping control of your bike.

oh, and i like my non-faired, stock mufflered standard because i don't look or sound like a hooligan.

scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts