RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

lookit this

stopped for gas. turned off engine and removed key. inserted key into gas cap and opened it, filled tank. closed cap, removed key, and tried to return key to ignition slot. no luck. noticed that the the key is bent out of shape.

now what th' @#$%'s up with that? sigh.

i called mrs sinsd. she found my extra key in my "BIKE" folder and brought it to me. i was about five miles from home.

is an mc key "duplicatable" cheaply, like at lowe's or home depot?

thank goodness the bike's not out of commission :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Put the key in a vice and squeeze it flat, or tap it with a hammer on an anvil.

To answer your question, though, I would expect you can get the key duplicated since there are no electronics hidden in it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd buy a blank from the stealer and have it cut at a key shop. No transponder so it shouldn't be that much. Not like a Ducati or a Porsche or even a Ford (don't ask me how I know - $100+ for the blank, cutting, and programming).

But how'd your key get bent in the first place?????Psychic powers....did you bend it with your mind???

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I doubt you can get blanks at Lowes or Home Depot. We have a locksmith in town that carries blanks for just about anything. Maybe you have one of those. Look in the phone book. If your OEM key bent that easily, do you really want another one?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But how'd your key get bent in the first place?????Psychic powers....did you bend it with your mind???
beats the stuffin' outta me. i was hoping you could tell me...

i proceeded through the described motions as per usual. can't think of anything i could have done differently to mess it up.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
beats the stuffin' outta me. i was hoping you could tell me...

i proceeded through the described motions as per usual. can't think of anything i could have done differently to mess it up.
I do push down on the gas cap with one hand when I turn the key.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So just how hard did you crank the key when shutting the gas cap?
That's the likely source of a bent key on this bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Need to pay attention to the key from time to time.. Never know when it might get bent out of shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I keep an extra set of keys in my magnetic tank bag/Back pack just in case. More because I want an extra set of keys for my disk lock and chained lock and there is a convenient hook in the bag for them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I too am in need of a spare key. I was only given one when i bought the bike. I am having the hardest time finding anybody who can make me a copy. I've been to 5 or so different places.

I almost most got lucky today, the guy cut a copy and it worked in the gas tank and seat but not the ignition. He told me it was a transponder key and I'd have to get it from the dealer. I laughed a little inside and went on with my day. Its almost to the point where I'm gonna go spend the $20 for a key from the dealer. This is getting really old.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Key blanks are readily available on ebay. Just buy one and take it to a local hardware store to get it cut.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've done this, it's no big deal - you gotta get the blank from your Kawasaki dealer, costs like $10 or so - then bring that to Ace Hardware or wherever and they'll make ya a copy..

I found this out after bending my key while stopping at a gas station 5 minutes from the track - was supposed to be at the track at 6:30am and barely made it after bending the key while shutting the gas portal..

I eventually got it straightened out enough to turn the ignition on but it wasn't easy - do your best to flatten it out - I did this by bending it while I had it inserted to various depths in the ignition thing..

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've never bent a key that way. It's always been a rotational type bend from turning it too hard in the gas cap. Easily straightened with vise grips. You should be able to tap the key back into shape with a hammer though. And it's not just Kawi keys - a LOT of normal keys for vehicles bend easily.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you cant get a key-blank locally check with the motorcycle press, if it's the same as the UK there's several outfits that supply them by mail.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Keys are brass. Brass is soft. Brass bends easy. The major contributor here is the length of the key, and bad fuel cap procedure ;-p

Never made sense to me to have a key that big when the cut section is shorter than an average house key. Most car keys are even worse now, because mfgs insist on cramming so much crap into them. I'd rather have a small key and a small remote- they'd fit in my pocket easier and NOT BEND.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts