RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of an AM exhaust but hear it will make it so you can't hear the intake sound - a) is this true, and b) does it matter since the AM exhaust sounds pretty good no?

I've never rode an inline-4 with an AM exhaust so I don't know what it's like, but I know a Yoshi pipe made a huge positive difference on my 650r...

Also, can anyone tell me which AM exhausts sound good but are not overly loud?

I'm really interested in the dual-pipe Akropovic full-system but the full-system is very loud no? I don't want to be one of those super loud inline-4's that you can hear screaming down the road from 3 miles away at night.. I have hooligan tendencies and on my 650r this means my bike makes a ton of noise when I get on the throttle abruptly and hard and I'd kinda like to be more stealthy..

Does Akropovic make a non-race full system that might be quieter?

How about the other brands, anyone know how they stack up in terms of volume?

I'm also struggling to find one that fits the look of the Z1000 - best I like so far I think is the FMF or whatever it's called - the black one's that retain a nice rectangular shape..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my FMF cans put on last week.

I'm in the middle of working 5 back to back 12 hour shifts :( I'll take more pics and get a vid over my weekend.

This sounds friggin amazing!

It definitely brings out the deep rumble I was hoping for.

Power output was very good.

Power with just the slip alone was 133hp. Final power after the custom dyno tune was 138hp/80ft lbs.

No, I can't notice the intake, but these sound freaking sexy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i could still hear the intake noise with the akra slip ons
i supose it all depends on the Db of the exhaust

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transistorkc - those look great except for the giant FMF/Apex Logo - on my black 650r I got a carbon fiber Yoshi pipe and spray painted black the Yoshi logo - looks way better that way - that's a big logo though on those FMF's, but I reckon I'd still spray-paint it black..

How loud are they - they sound good but what is the volume?

Do you know what your hp was pre-FMF? Those numbers sound very high considering the stock bike seems to be getting about 123hp in the magazine reviews - a 12hp gain from a slip on is very unusual no?

The dyno tune you got - is that with a Power Commander or Jucie Box etc?

How much do those FMF Apex cost if you don't mind me asking?

FMF is one of the few pipes that seem to fit the lines of the Z1000 - the bike itself is super-angular, so why have the companies been making the typical oval or round shaped pipes?? I don't get it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have akra slipons on mine. Took the baffle out and they're very loud. I can't hear the intake over the exhaust anymore. With the baffles out the bike sounds vicious.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have akra slipons on mine. Took the baffle out and they're very loud. I can't hear the intake over the exhaust anymore. With the baffles out the bike sounds vicious.
When you say baffles do you mean the quite tip inserts in the end of the cans?

Does anyone know if the Akrapovic full system also comes with the quiet insert tips? Both the single sided and dual?

·
Registered
545 Posts
your having a laugh

i had baffle removed and could still hear the intake over the exhaust not load enough at all

and to answer the other question yes all akra for the 2010 has removable baffle
and yes its the thing that goes in the end
as seen hear on the lower left of the pic

·
Registered
719 Posts
..and to answer the other question yes all akra for the 2010 has removable baffle
and yes its the thing that goes in the end...
Thanks for the quick response.

I have another question. Is the Akrapovic logo/emblem on the cans a sticker or a riveted plate? Looks like a easy to remove sticker to me.

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
sticker

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Transistorkc - those look great except for the giant FMF/Apex Logo - on my black 650r I got a carbon fiber Yoshi pipe and spray painted black the Yoshi logo - looks way better that way - that's a big logo though on those FMF's, but I reckon I'd still spray-paint it black..

How loud are they - they sound good but what is the volume?

Do you know what your hp was pre-FMF? Those numbers sound very high considering the stock bike seems to be getting about 123hp in the magazine reviews - a 12hp gain from a slip on is very unusual no?

The dyno tune you got - is that with a Power Commander or Jucie Box etc?

How much do those FMF Apex cost if you don't mind me asking?

FMF is one of the few pipes that seem to fit the lines of the Z1000 - the bike itself is super-angular, so why have the companies been making the typical oval or round shaped pipes?? I don't get it..
The logos are stickers. You can peel them off very easily without hurting the finish. I haven't done it yet, because I'm only about 85% sure I want them gone, and it's a whole lot easier to peel them off later, then stick them back on later.

They are definitely louder, but they are not stupid loud. I thought about eventually converting them to a full system with the akra headers, but after having them on, I doubt I will go that route.

This was a collision repair, so I didn't get a dyno reading with the oem pipes. I do know that the bike was rated at 133 before the custom tune. Final number was technically 137.98. I will scan my dyno charts soon, but my printer won't let me do it unless I replace the ink cartridges. I may throw it out the window instead. My custom map is on a PCV. I had it done at Smithers Customs in Olathe, KS. He is definitely the go to guy in the Midwest when it comes to dyno tuning.

MSRP for them is $999, but I basically got them for free since I bought those instead of the OEM exhuasts with my insurance money from the wreck.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have been toiling over the exhaust question ever since i purchased the bike... i desperately want to keep the oem mufflers but would like to improve the note, so i have decided to purchase the akropovic pipe link which is around $300 and eliminate the cat by chop/welding the link pipe into the system, my hunch is that the exhaust note will improve, there won't be much power gain (if at all) but some weight will be shed and with a bit of luck it will sound sweet and still run smooth... fingers crossed for this one...

·
Registered
321 Posts
i have been toiling over the exhaust question ever since i purchased the bike... i desperately want to keep the oem mufflers but would like to improve the note, so i have decided to purchase the akropovic pipe link which is around $300 and eliminate the cat by chop/welding the link pipe into the system, my hunch is that the exhaust note will improve, there won't be much power gain (if at all) but some weight will be shed and with a bit of luck it will sound sweet and still run smooth... fingers crossed for this one...
Interesting.. keep us posted!

Have you considered the Original silencer mod:
http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=58722

·
Registered
76 Posts
After further research I'm in two minds about the chop/weld because it’s not reversible and quite a difficult procedure. I may just install the Akro headers with link pipe and the OEM cans and if that combination doesn’t produce the sound that I’m searching for then I could still consider the original silencer mod... isn’t life grand?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'm going to go with the FMF slip-on exhaust... Can this be hooked up to an Akropovic header set or anything like that?

Also, for those that did the FMF Apex slip-on - is the silencer/db killer easy to install or is it a big pain in the *** like with a Yoshimura pipe? I ask because I like the idea of being able to put the db killer in/out easily depending on where/how I'm going to be riding..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts