RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had posted something about my zr-7s not running right, and I came across a loose spark plug. Loose was the wrong word. Cross threaded is the better one. First off WHAT DRUG ADDICT CROSS THREADS A SPARK PLUG INTO THE HOLE ON THIS BIKE!!!!!!!! no offense to anyone who has but come on really. Here's my new dilema...... Helix coil? Or new head?? Head is always my go to especially new but now that opens up a whole can of worms I'm not prepared for at least my tools aren't. But helix coils do fail. And other better options out there you guys?, and thank you for all your support on this bike. As soon as I start riding to work. The next project is a 85 yamaha xj700 maxim

·
American Legion Rider
260 Posts
I'd go with a Time-Sert
They make one specific for spark plug holes.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
見る
2,936 Posts
The cheapest option is the Helicoil thread repair. Been tried and tested for a few decades. Always go for the simple, cost effective option first, if that doesn't work then you can throw money at the bike to the point where you have had enough...or the problem is solved.

Regarding cross-threading...well, when the head alloy is soft and the person doesn't really know what they are doing - it's an easy thing to do....don't have to be a drug addict to screw up stuff on an engine, just takes not knowing what you are doing.

Reactions: Obo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cheapest option is the Helicoil thread repair. Been tried and tested for a few decades. Always go for the simple, cost effective option first, if that doesn't work then you can throw money at the bike to the point where you have had enough...or the problem is solved.

Regarding cross-threading...well, when the head alloy is soft and the person doesn't really know what they are doing - it's an easy thing to do....don't have to be a drug addict to screw up stuff on an engine, just takes not knowing what you are doing.
Sorry if that offended you bro I was irritated and I dont have much room to talk......

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would go with the Time Sert. I like the theory behind their installation method and hope to never need one.
Do you think you can just chase the threads with a tap? Maybe you won't need an insert.

·
見る
2,936 Posts
Sorry if that offended you bro I was irritated and I dont have much room to talk......
Not offended at all. Just explaining that anyone, including me, can screw something up unintentionally.

Anyway - what route are you going to follow?

·
見る
2,936 Posts
Do you think you can just chase the threads with a tap? Maybe you won't need an insert.
You can sometimes 're-tap' using a new spark plug if you can catch the first few original threads, that is if all the threads are not totally shot.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
When this happens, it starts to make more sense why the manual recommends such frequent plug replacement.

When the plugs stick, a perfectly threaded in plug can cause damage. Not like you had control over this on a used bike, but it's something to be aware of.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Registered
331 Posts
I always use anti-seize on plug threads. And if I can't thread it in nearly all the way using only my fingers I stop, reverse the install and see what's up. And correct it.
Buggering up spark plug threads has to be the easiest way to ruin your day. More than a day actually.

Next up on a used bike is how buggered up is the oil drain plug threads because we all know you need to tighten it to 900 ft/lbs, same as the bleeder screws on the calipers.

·
見る
2,936 Posts
Next up on a used bike is how buggered up is the oil drain plug threads because we all know you need to tighten it to 900 ft/lbs, same as the bleeder screws on the calipers.
900 ft/lbs? I've been over-torqueing....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would go with the Time Sert. I like the theory behind their installation method and hope to never need one.
I was headed towards the thread chase first but for some reason I tried to thread that plug in you know one last ditch effort....... and she screwed in by hand not difficult at all. So I learned a very valuable lesson here. Don't drink and work on motorcycles. That's the only thing I can think of I was pretty buzzed when I tried all that and maybe just maybe I was so buzzed I just wasn't getting it in?????

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was headed towards the thread chase first but for some reason I tried to thread that plug in you know one last ditch effort....... and she screwed in by hand not difficult at all. So I learned a very valuable lesson here. Don't drink and work on motorcycles. That's the only thing I can think of I was pretty buzzed when I tried all that and maybe just maybe I was so buzzed I just wasn't getting it in?????
That's good news. Did you use anti-seize?
Spark plugs ain't bad. My advice is don't drink and listen to rock music while adjusting the valves on a four cylinder four valve engine with a feeler gauge that only measures in thousands of an inch necessitating the use of a calculator to convert to metric. Won't do that again, I bought a metric feeler gauge set. 👍🍺

1 - 13 of 13 Posts