RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the thread title says, I almost crashed my VFR tonight.

On my way home on a country road in the dark, on a basically 90-degree uphill left-hander I've ridden many times, I straightened out too soon and ran off the road - into a strip of grass and rough ground probably about a foot off the road, where some trees were just a couple more feet to my right. I grabbed some brake to slow down and regain control, the bike fishtailed hard once, then I rode it back onto the pavement. I'm pretty sure there was a wooden fence post a few more yards ahead, too. I actually deserved to crash. I don't know how I rode it out.

I'm very lucky - and very ashamed. I was probably going a little too fast plus I didn't stay leaned over long enough. Really, really effin' stupid. Spooked me pretty good. Before I let it get to me too much, I turned around and rode the curve again. Downhill right-hander, a little slower than I usually take it - OK. Going back up the hill, I took it a little slower and stayed leaned over - no problem this time. I think if I hadn't turned around and hit that curve again I'd still be freaked out - or at least more than I am at this point.

Chalk it up to a bit too much speed, a nasty mental error and sudden loss of proper bike handling skills. Still kicking myself for it, and I'm sure I will be for awhile. I'm just extremely relieved I'm OK. It's a bonus that the bike is OK, too. I didn't deserve to catch this break, so I'm counting my blessings.

The irony here is that I just finished a 3-day/1200-mile trip Sunday evening where I never screwed up this bad, even in much tougher twisties and even in twisties at night on unfamiliar roads. (Of course, I did fall over with my bike in a parking lot when I was getting on it, but that's not remotely the same category as my boneheaded move tonight.) Maybe this can serve as a good reminder to all of us not to take anything for granted out there. Stay focused and ride smart. Even usually easy corners you've ridden dozens of times can bite you when you aren't 100% engaged mentally or physically. I learned that lesson again tonight.

As stupid as I feel about my near-miss tonight, I thought it was important to share it with the group in hopes it will prevent others from making the same kind of mistake.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Glad it is OK...

Hey Tim, I'm glad to hear that your "off" turned out as well as it did. And I thank you for the reminder about how important it is to "keep your head in the game". I agree that the Mental part of riding is the one that can get you first. I've caught myself a time or two "daydreaming" or "sight-seeing" and have the curve come up on me much more quickly than I had anticipated. Mental lapse = Not good!

Thanks for your reminder. Glad you and the bike are both well!!!!! :alcy:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Glad your OK dude! :alcy: Having your head in the game can be dangerous too, though! I was coming into a right-hander, not particularly fast, and I started looking through the turn. As I took a quick glance to see my road position, I looked down and saw shoulder coming up quickly! :eek: I was able to change my line by straightening up (and avoiding the gravel ditch below) but the adrenaline had my heart a thumpin' even as I turned down the speed even more and took it easier. My point is; human error is always human error, so if one can leave a little margin for it I guess we all can keep contributing to the forum! :bud:

·
Registered
217 Posts
lesson- never let your guard and attention down... Accidents happen in the most unusual conditions

Glad you are OK

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ride many miles of road just like that each dark morning. I just finished installing a pair of FF50's which turn night into day. They have one drawback. They don't throw light out 90 degrees to illuminate turns like like yours. Even though I've been doing these roads for almost 3 years, I still scare myself once in a while.

Jack

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
We are lucky when we get a lesson the almost hard way....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments and supports, folks!

I took a few days off the bike. I'll be taking at least one more tomorrow. I did a lot of riding over the last month, especially the Skyline Drive trip I did last weekend. As a couple friends suggested, I figure I was suffering from some 'rider fatigue', so it's good to take some time off.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for the comments and supports, folks!

I took a few days off the bike. I'll be taking at least one more tomorrow. I did a lot of riding over the last month, especially the Skyline Drive trip I did last weekend. As a couple friends suggested, I figure I was suffering from some 'rider fatigue', so it's good to take some time off.
Man, I can't tell you how many times I dropped my bike in a parking lot or my driveway after riding more than I should have...there is serious validity to that "rider fatigue" thing. Rest up good! :bud:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had a similar experience on a week ride in Arkansas. Rode all week on the edge of my comfort level, then on the way back home I'm day dreaming about the week as I overshoot a curve. Mow some weeds with my bike and thankfully kept it up to get back on the pavement.

Sometimes you forget, the ride isn't over until the kick stand is down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I remember when I first started trying to turn in later. One corner I was very familiar with caught me off gaurd when I forgot to turn in haha. Big mental error, I was lucky to not wreck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Live to ride another day:swink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts