RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does cutting the snorkel down cause any irregularities with the way the bike idles or runs? I ask because I know that messing with an air box as designed can cause issues with some bikes.

My reason for doing this will be solely for easy access to the battery when it comes time to replace.
I’m assuming that once done I won’t have to deal with moving the gas tank to r/r the battery.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I don't think it does as long as the opening into the air box doesn't become larger. The bike needs a certain amount of back pressure to work with the stock jets etc. When you re-jet it some kits call for modifying the air box to add more holes - but only when you re-jet it and it's called for.

It will likely change the tone though.

Reactions: Zed7

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It may allow water into the air box easier though, although so does drilling holes when you re-jet it :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I know at least one that person that did it long time ago, for same reason...... having free access to top of battery..and he did not report any effect,...... but that is very subjective. ..some people realize later it was a mistake, but don't report back.

.........I would start by removing the deflector (splitter) in the snorkel, ride it, and see if any effect is noticed. I think that is what is most significant. The deflector, splits, channels, and accelerates air to each side of air box where the down air spouts are. If this does not have any noticeable effect.....next is of course up to you.

Entire used boxes are available on e-bay in case cutting the snorkel proves unwise.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. I’ll have a look at it but most likely not cut it. I installed a charging dongle so I always have a trickle charge going into it when not riding.
I just came back from a ride. What a nice bike the 7 is. I was enjoying how plush my front end feels after the modification. I’m keeping it forever.

I just thought of something. I wonder if I can’t cut the snorkel then install plates or something with screws so when it comes time to change the battery I can just unscrew the long portion for battery access then reattach it.
Maybe.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Agree on your decision. ........These are only my thoughts and actions I took about this.

I thought about this long time ago,....and like you decided not to butcher the snorkel, just for the battery........ Decided it was not worth it........ Batteries are changed only once in a long while, and there are only 5 easy screws holding the snorkel. The tank only needs to be detached at the rear bracket, ...and the bracket only loosened......and lifting the rear of tank slightly and putting a support on the rubber seats, like a roll of electric tape flat, clears enough to remove the snorkel w/out removing the tank.

I have also connected a pig tail to the positive on the starter coil, and an isolated quick disconnect at the other end, with in-line fuse, so if I need to tender the battery, I don't even have to remove the seat. Only the + lead is necessary. I connect the other lead (-)of the battery tender to the footpeg cornering spike.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hugo D.. I just now looked at it and came to the same conclusion. It’s funny I didn’t remember how I dealt with the battery even though I disassembled the whole bike while restoring it.
Yeah, it’s really no big deal. A bit of a pain, yes. But not worth hacking the snorkel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does cutting the snorkel down cause any irregularities with the way the bike idles or runs? I ask because I know that messing with an air box as designed can cause issues with some bikes.

My reason for doing this will be solely for easy access to the battery when it comes time to replace.
I’m assuming that once done I won’t have to deal with moving the gas tank to r/r the battery.
I removed mine over 10 years ago for the same reason. No effect on the bike. About 5 years ago I got an Ivan jet kit and drilled the holes in the top of the box. Rode the bike cross country and through some good rain storms without incident. The air box is rather well protected under the seat and it would take a lot to flood it out IMO.

I say go for it.

PS I believe the 1980s grandfather to the ZR (Kz750?) has a shorter air box top that is a direct fit if you want a factory finish look without the snorkel.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed mine over 10 years ago for the same reason. No effect on the bike. About 5 years ago I got an Ivan jet kit and drilled the holes in the top of the box. Rode the bike cross country and through some good rain storms without incident. The air box is rather well protected under the seat and it would take a lot to flood it out IMO.

I say go for it.

PS I believe the 1980s grandfather to the ZR (Kz750?) has a shorter air box top that is a direct fit if you want a factory finish look without the snorkel.
Good points. I won’t be doing anything until I need to replace the battery anyways. I tend to leave a bike mostly stock. I don’t even trim the fender to clean up the tail section.
Good info on the kz750 air box snorkel. When I examined the snorkel I determined a method to leave it in place but make it detachable and it would be just like me to spend hours modifying the thing just to save myself five minutes of lifting the tank every eight years. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts