RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting in an Akra full system, PCV and K&N air filter today. I'm on my filter right now. I figured I would do the airbox mod while I'm at it. According to Ivan's, it is good for a bit of power. The question is how do you do it? Anybody know how to do the airbox mod Ivan talks about?

·
Registered
98 Posts
was advised that you dont need it can cause more issues than good...I had a 4-1 Akra, K&N, PCV, O2 module installed & a dyno run 3 weeks ago...stock the 2011 Z1000 had 130bhp ...after the install 141 bhp. Thats plenty of power gains & suprisingly..the fuel consumption is the same yay :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did my own don't know if the is helps

I did my own too. I cut out the bottom and the sides. I left the part you cut out intact. The side you cut out does not seem to be as open to incoming air as the other sides. Plus that back side is closer to the engine which might cause the box to draw in warmer air. Removed the air chamber thing too. Makes sense to me but I dunno if anything I did will help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
was advised that you dont need it can cause more issues than good...I had a 4-1 Akra, K&N, PCV, O2 module installed & a dyno run 3 weeks ago...stock the 2011 Z1000 had 130bhp ...after the install 141 bhp. Thats plenty of power gains & suprisingly..the fuel consumption is the same yay :)
Hey Nat, Where'd you get your Dyno done?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Nat, Where'd you get your Dyno done?
With Jamie @ Sportscycle Adamstowns ..we have all our work done there...great guys & always have time to have a chat & answer any silly question I may have :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tore mine apart today to see what prior owner did...

Exactly like the pick above....Im running a pc3 and runs a bit rich and a small backfire every 100 miles....More like a little fart....But anyways I drilled one 1/2" hole on each of the sides....Seems a tad better I think....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'll be picking up my BMC this week.
I spoke with Ivan and he uses a 7/16th (I think could be 7/8) special bit and drills holes.
He said by doing it that way if you ever want to plug it back up you can;because
stock kawasaki plastic plugs will pop back in. I like clean!
I will post a picture when mine gets done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the 02 mod
ule and is it worth doing?

After spending a fortune modding my KTM 690smc I feel I've neglected the Z1000 a bit so I'm gonna treat the old girl!

I bought shakebite's akra headers to add to my carbon akra cans and do away with that awful cat box underneath.I'll then be able to hear a good roar from the akras.I dont want to put the header on until I get a PCV from the states.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
here's Ivan's airbox mod

sorry for the $hitty pictures but they are picture of a paper print.

The work is getting done by my shop this weekend and I won't be having them take pictures anymore pictures of this. If someone can maybe post your pictures as your doing it.

They are removing the auto tune and installing the FCE and BMC modding the box and installing Ivan's map.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
interesting.....Ivan leaves the base chamber cover in place?
I guess... never done one myself.
Sorry I realize that's a bit of a useless answer.. but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your question :)

cheers.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Ivan has dyno'd his bikes after the airbox mod above, I believe with gains of 2hp. I have not had my bike tested. Although; there was a noticable difference in power and sound.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
And you only see gains if you have a full exhaust and fuel module.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.