RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just put a yosh slip on and PCV on my '09 650 a friend of mine recommended I get an aftermarket air filter to improve performance. Did a quick search and nothing came up for K&N, any suggestions?

Also, as far as cleaning the stock filter is concerned. I've never done it, and my bike is at 11,750 miles. Should I look into this?

***EDIT, spoke with K&N and customer service confirmed it doesn't exist yet. Just submitted a product request and will be notified by email if the product becomes available. If anyone else is interested in doing so, maybe we should do the same. if they see more than one person is interested maybe they'll get on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So did you end up getting a new air filter? I'm coming up on 7,000 miles and planning on at least cleaning mine or maybe getting a new one. I haven't tackled getting to it yet or removing the tank though. Is it difficult to do so?

·
Registered
95 Posts
So did you end up getting a new air filter? I'm coming up on 7,000 miles and planning on at least cleaning mine or maybe getting a new one. I haven't tackled getting to it yet or removing the tank though. Is it difficult to do so?
Piece of cake. There is good information posted, and it is an easy go by feel project also.

Here is a good resource
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
k&n doesnt make an air filter for the 650r 09, there are 2 aftermarket filters i have found from ninjashop and brp, expensive iimo

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The DNA filters I sell are for the 06-08.
I still have 8 left out of the 50 I ordered 2 years ago.
So it's going to be a few months until I make another order.
At that time I will order 2nd gen filters.
The BMC is a street filter, which is only slightly better than oem,
if at all.
I've contacted K&N on numerous occasions, they have no intentions
to make a filter for either generation bike.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
After reading this thread and a couple of others, is it safe to say there are NO high flow filter options for the 2009 EX650R?

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's super easy. Unbolt the tank, take off the side plastics and screws and pull the tank off and undo the connectors. The surplus fuel drain plug is a pain to get off.

The air filter is right there, just unscrew it and it's done. I cleaned mine and changed my spark plugs at 5500. The air filter was nasty.

I'm trying to find a new filter too. I'm looking for a high-flow/performance filter before I do a dyno and pc. I haven't found any unbiased information on which filter to get. (Sorry, don't trust the advice from someone who sells the product)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I ended up getting the BMC filter from Motorcycle-Superstore. I just installed it yesterday and fired up my bike. No noticeable difference right off the bat, but I haven't taken it for a ride yet. I'm getting a new front tire mounted tomorrow, so after that is done I'll take it for a ride and try it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts