RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pcIII, akrOpovik 4 in1 and a k&n filter on a z1000 2008. So i leave the airbox like that or i custom it? Merci

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, I did the airbox cover mod. I just bought a new OEM cover for 20 bucks USD and cut/ground out the entire center section out leaving the part that seals around the filter and a bit more. (on that bit more you can add a nice bead of black window rtv to make even another sealing surface) It seals well, works great! Just what your power commander is looking for to finish the performance increase you expected. Truthfully, I couldn't believe how much seat of the pants, twist of the throttle power increase I got out of a little airbox mod.
The stock intake is only about 1 1/2" inside diameter and the filter is about 4"x6" so you'll be getting a lot more air for sure.
I've got over 400 miles on it so far and still can't stop smiling!
This is off another post of mine and it still holds true at 1,000 miles later...

·
Registered
883 Posts
What about rain? do you know if doing the airbox mod and riding in the rain will this get into the air box now that the hole is much bigger.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I ride in rain, snow, etc and have never had a problem. if you pull apart your bike you will find that the airbox is pretty well tucked away, I'm surprised that air even gets to it :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I rode in the rain for 5 hours yesterday and had no troubles at all with water getting the filter area. And it was pouring down rain the entire ride! But it was better then staying home, if you know what I mean...

What about rain? do you know if doing the airbox mod and riding in the rain will this get into the air box now that the hole is much bigger.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you could just cut out the area under the hood of the lid. it even looks stock but gives you more airflow. I don't imagine the difference between a full hack and the modified chop would be detectable as far as power is concerned

·
Registered
319 Posts
Airbox.jpg

Here is a .jpg of the dyno run from a cut out type aftermarket airbox cover. It looks like 7 hp on a 750 cc bike to me. You can buy their product for $100.00+ or a stock cover for $20.00 and you can cut out as little or as much as you would like. As long as you leave the area that seals the air filter!
The main reason I cut mine was because I didn't believe the 7 hp increase but after cutting my own to see if it works, I am a believer! And I love the extra power no matter how much it is. :headbang:

you could just cut out the area under the hood of the lid. it even looks stock but gives you more airflow. I don't imagine the difference between a full hack and the modified chop would be detectable as far as power is concerned

·
Registered
749 Posts
not bad. i never would have guessed it was that much. did feel a bit more peppy after I did it though. I hope to see a big increase when i switch to the zx10 throttlebodies and pod filters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was running the no box cover option and god dam did my legs get hot. reverted to the "Air box mod" option cut out lid with scoop still and am far happier much cooler to ride and less intake noise.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Nice avatar MYT. Now back to subject.... the airbox mod is probably the most cost effective hp increase you can make. ,BK

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Underdog,

Was that tune with the same setup, but just cutting the airbox open, or was that your PCIII tune?

MYT14,

Maybe you were running hotter because you were running too lean? I think that will cause a lot of excess heat. I can't imagine cutting your airbox would really create any extra noticable heat, unless you're not fueling properly to compensate the increase in air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant explain it i have PCIII and custom tune so shouldn't have been leaning out to much. I think it was just letting the normal engine heat to travel up closer to my legs that's all

·
Registered
319 Posts
Underdog,

Was that tune with the same setup, but just cutting the airbox open, or was that your PCIII tune?

MYT14,

Maybe you were running hotter because you were running too lean? I think that will cause a lot of excess heat. I can't imagine cutting your airbox would really create any extra noticable heat, unless you're not fueling properly to compensate the increase in air.
The tune I was using before the airbox mod was the PCIIIusb: M227-002 Two brothers slip on exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter right off the Dyno-Jet website. I rode with just that for over 400 miles before doing the airbox mod. I now have over 1500 miles on the setup. I can't tell you why you have heat issues because I have no problems what so ever. Sure there is a little more intake growl under throttle, the gas mileage will suffer if you like hearing it growl too often. I've been watching my mileage with every tank and have ranged from 32 mpg to 48 mpg all depending on how I ride and who I'm riding with. I did have one tank with a short 45 mile bonzi ride and got only 12 mpg but I think I must have blown the math because nothing has been less then 32 since. Personally I think it is running a bit rich if anything. But I'll never know without a little dyno time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So do you really need a PCIII with this mod? Last year I cut my cover up but not too big because I dont have a PCIII and figured I could do more later. Well later came yesterday I cleaned the whole thing up real nice and left the scoop on top and everything inside is flush to that and the opening of the scoop.

I have Muzzy slip-ons and air box mod with the stock filter. Think I need a PCIII? If so Ill probably go all out and get a race filter and maybe a custom tune but if I can leave it as is and not burn anything up id like to do that for a bit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was running the airbox mod the same as you did it. No pc3 and the Leovince gp slip on. No problems, but the pc3 made a huge difference in low end power with the stock map (not the zero map) and also killed most of the decel popping

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't think you have to add the PCIII just to modify your airbox cover at all. The motor will only eat as much air as it can. A motor is nothing more then an air pump. The more air you can pass thru the engine with the proper air/fuel ratio the more horsepower you will make. Just like your gearing it is all mathamatics. It is no secret since the beginning of time to increase HP you need to increase airflow ie, less restricted exhaust, less restricted intake - airbox - air filter - bigger carbs/injectors. All bolt-ons that work well, but if the proper combo isn't used (MATH) you can ever go slower after spending a fortune. Example: a less restrictive exhaust will usually give you a horsepower increase but it could lower your torque if you don't have enough back pressure. The same on the intake side: if you toss too big of carbs/injectors on and don't change the exhaust side you'll probably be running rich and can't use all that gas now available. Also after adding bigger carbs/injectors += more fuel so you'll need more air, thus the air box mod.
Now that you've heard my rant on HP, if you stick with bolt-on mods made for your bike you should be safe.

So do you really need a PCIII with this mod? Last year I cut my cover up but not too big because I dont have a PCIII and figured I could do more later. Well later came yesterday I cleaned the whole thing up real nice and left the scoop on top and everything inside is flush to that and the opening of the scoop.

I have Muzzy slip-ons and air box mod with the stock filter. Think I need a PCIII? If so Ill probably go all out and get a race filter and maybe a custom tune but if I can leave it as is and not burn anything up id like to do that for a bit. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Our bikes don't compensate for increased air. Our bikes use a table to determine fuel delivery at a certain rpm and throttle position. There are a couple more variables in the equation, but the main point is this: If you increase air flow, you are throwing off the math the engineers put into the fuel table. There is a safety margin built into the bike (usually) by making the bike a bit rich.
The airbox mod with some slipons isn't going to move you too far out of spec, so the stock fuel table will work. It won't be ideal, but it will still be safe. Much more than that, and you will be required to modify the fuel table (enter the pc3)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks bud. I just wanted to make sure I will still be in that safe area. Maybe a tune will come down the line but I don't want to burn anything up between now and then. I have been looking at the PCV wide band yuner and wonder how effective it really is or how accurate it is for the auto tune. Guess I need to do some more reading.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts