RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have a Bandit 1200s 1999 model. I have had so frigging much trouble with it that I am almost giving up and scrapping it ! The thing is... It firstly spend way to much gas, it soot a lot from the exhaust and when I come home after 30 min drive, it kills the engine when I for example apply the clutch when I let it slide the last few meters in my driveway as well it dies at traffic light stops... I have actually taken the bike to three different shops and ALWAYS paid a good sum of money BUT gotten the bike with the same trouble as usual. Finally I went to the third place and they (vaguely) told me that the seats for the jet needles were somewhat worn so thats why (perhaps) gas was floating too much pass the needles ... sic ! Well, I am not a mechanic at all and that might show trough when I talk to those guys... they look at me as a money source I guess :(
But anyhow... I found used carbs online for small amount of money and thought of changing the carbs... but Nooooo ! My luck was that the american bought carbs did not have throttle sensors ...ummmm "holes" ? So I guess the carbs won´t fit my bike. Now, to my actual question... or questions... 1. Is there a place where I can have my carbs remodeled... can I use carbs from other bandits (newer models), can I put the other carbs (the one without the throttle sensor thingy ) on my bike ?
Greetings
Jacnor

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It does sound like your bike is running too rich. The least expensive option would be to buy a factory manual, and adjust the the carborators with the stock jets.

If the carbs cannot be adjusted due to wear, then order the jets (www.bikebandit.com or your dealer) and replace them.

The factory manuals are written with very easy to understand directions, you don't have to be a mechanic. You will probably need a fuel line extension also, so that you can move the fuel tank and still have the bike run while you adjust it. you will also need a manometer like this. http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Manometer. or you can make one out of tubing and some automatic transmission fluid (that is what i did, search for "home made motorcycle manometer")

I am not very familiar with the 1999 bandit or any carborators in general. They can be adjusted though.

where are you located?

I am assuming the bike is stock.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,136 Posts
I cant answer your questions but it does sound like carb problems. I would ask riders in your area where they are getting their bikes serviced and if they are happy with the work done. Sooner or later you will find a good shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply lmj301 and Jon. I am going to follow your advices guys and search for a decent shop...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is this a new bike to you? Does it have original air box? Has anybody intalled a jet kit? Have your tried closing mix screw a bit? Have you checked float level?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hugo, thanks for your reply. This bike is new to me yes, I have had it for some months now. The box is original but I am sure there are different sets of needles in it. I asked the last shop I went to, to replace the needles with original ones because I do not need all the power and also to save some fuel. I was told there that the "seats for the needles" was somewhat worn out so he could not replace them like I wanted... Everything else is new in this bike. a.e the spark cables, spark plugs, even a new CDI box, I have had three sets of Mechanics overhauling the bike for over 4000$ (at current rate) and Still I got the bike running like a *******... the tank capacity is 19 Liters and I can drive around 150 km when the manual says I should be able to drive around 260-300km... mind you that I drive very sensible these days (I was more delinquent in my youth) ;) The mix screw I have fiddled a little with but the floats I am sure that the &&"%# mechanics (pardon my French) should have inspected at the time they had the bike...

Can it be true that the needles are irreplaceable ? Sorry if this is a dumb question but the thing is that I am a DRIVER not a Mechanic :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
The needles go in the so called emulsion tubes which are also replaceable, but I doubt the mechanic is refering to those, and in any case they hardly wear. Some people calls 'needles" the float valves. They have a rubber tip and control the fuel level in bowls, but when they wear, the allow fuel liquid to pass inside engine/or air box. The seat is metal so usually it does not wear.

Firstable, you would have to check the carbs see if main jets, pilot jets, and needles are stock. They have a number on them and on-line motorcycle part suppliers offer microfiche with the proper number available for those years. In general, needles and jets are not expensive, but of course, you have to multiply by 4. Often needles may be extracted with carbs in place from top, but jets are at the bottom and the bowls need removal.

The other things you have to check is bowl fuel level. If level is too high, it will make it rich. This can be done with a clear tubing, used as U-gauge, attached to bowl drainage screw, put it in 'prime' and see where level stops. Usually is by the bowls seams. Finally check how many turns out the mix screws are set.

A factory manual is a small investment that pay off, if you decide to stick to the bike. How many miles?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts