RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Today only deal on Woot for those wanting a hammock. I got the double the last time this came around. The one with the net looks pretty cool as well.

Yukon Outfitters Hammock, 2 Choices

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So you are taking a long leave of absence and heading west on a motorcycle solo. Wow that's the pioneering spirit. I'd go with you if my schedule allows this.
.... you're more than welcome to ride
I'm planning to leave at the beginning of September...
No specifics yet. I'll be starting a new thread asking for suggestions, though.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You can get that Exped really small. I'm sure there are smaller ones out there though. I would say the size of 2 nalgene bottles side by side, maybe a little smaller especially if you put it in a compression sack.
Good to know!

I was looking at the synmat and comparing it to this self-inflating pad from Alps Mountaineering. It has great reviews. Not sure if this is a knockoff product of the exped synmat or something totally different.

Amazon.com: ALPS Mountaineering Lightweight Series Self-Inflating Air Pad: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
528 Posts
This is the trip I would more or less dream of going on but who has the time. It's about 5800 miles so it would take 3 weeks averaging close to 300 miles a day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
This is the trip I would more or less dream of going on but who has the time. It's about 5800 miles so it would take 3 weeks averaging close to 300 miles a day.
That's a nice loop...I'll need to get some specifics on that from you.

From my starting point, though, I think my trip will be around 9K to 10K miles....

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You can get that Exped really small. I'm sure there are smaller ones out there though. I would say the size of 2 nalgene bottles side by side, maybe a little smaller especially if you put it in a compression sack.

I had a Eureka tent. It leaked the third time out. Recoated it and resealed the seams, was good for another 2 trips before it leaked again. Never had to reseal my REI tents, even the one I bought very used. YMMV of course. REI also has a lifetime warranty.
I did go to a REI today to look at the Synmat. It's quite impressive in terms of its packing size--very compact--especially the 7 UL (ultralight) version. It's the size of a 750ml mountain spring water from Trader Joe. There's also another version of the Synmat called the "Synmat 7 with pump" which is a little bulkier, about twice the size (in terms of packing diameter) of the 7 UL version, but still quite small.

The half dome 2 looked pretty good. I think it comes down to the size of the tent. Basically, the length of the half dome 2 at 21 inches packed will be too long for my side cases and can barely fit into my topbox.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I keep the camping gear in a dry bag in my passenger seat. Like to leave room in my cases. Plus it makes it easier to unpack/pack cause I can bring the bag over to where I'm setting up.

I don't have the synmat with the pump.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most climbers realize that the heaviest thing that they will pack is normally their drinking water supply. As water gauges a gram for every milliliter, a one-liter water jug can add an entire kilogram to the heaviness of your knapsack. Contingent upon the length of your climb, one liter probably won't be sufficient drinking water. You should find the Best Car Camping Sleeping Pad for a better tour.

A versatile water filter can gauge an insignificant 250 grams. That is only one quarter the heaviness of a one-liter water bottle. Envision losing that additional load from your pack. It will feel like you are ten years more youthful with your extra stamina.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate Clean Drinking Water

On the off chance that you have ever tasted crisp mountain stream water, you know it's probably the cleanest water you can get. At that point empty that unadulterated water into a versatile water filter and it truly is the cleanest water. There are insignificant contamination and no additional added substances - simply perfect, crisp drinking water.

Indeed, even unadulterated mountain water can contain hazardous microorganisms and pathogens, for example, typhoid, looseness of the bowels, cholera, colibacillosis, amoebic diarrhea protozoa, cryptosporidium, sores, organisms, parasites, spores, and giardia. Odds are that you have never known about the majority of those pathogens. Typically your city's water treatment plant deals with these threats for you. Lightweight, Car camping sleeping pad and convenient water filters can viably evacuate these pathogens. Additionally, they evacuate different contaminations, just as upsetting tastes and smells. Disintegrated synthetic concoctions, for example, iodine and chlorine are likewise evacuated by utilizing a water filter.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Welcome @michealkeating to the forum. FYI this message thread is going on 7 years old :)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts