RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
$80? Good lord. Thanks for the link but that doesn't fit in my budget. :(
You can make your own. If you can find the fabric cheap at fabric store etc, you just then used a tube of silicon caulking dissolved in mineral spirits.

Oddly enough I even found a video in it

or you could possibly use Rustoleum's Neverwet coating on it.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Interesting... Never thought about that! I never carry milk while camping because it has to be kept cold (and I'm really particular about milk). Might have to rethink. But, since I've never carried it, now I'm not sure what I would need it for!

Bottom entry, velcro. Bought mine used, velcro has held up well. Never tried the side entry. But beggars can't be choosers!
The bottom entry ones always reminded me of this....
5332.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Oh, here's our gear list:

Solo camping:
  • Hennesy hammock OR el cheapo non freestanding tiny 2 person tent with a full rainfly if it's going to be too cold/wet for the hammock
  • Cheapo "buy 2 for the price of 1" summer bag I got on woot or something years ago. Add a cheap Coleman fleece sleeping bag liner if it'll be below 60 at night. If colder than that we have a myriad of cold weather bags from CL (we love snow camping)
  • Exped Synmat pad, picked up a pair earlier this year on closeout from REI. Holy smokes, makes our Thermarest Basecamp pads feel like sleeping on cardboard. I should've spent the big bucks to buy a nice pad in the first place!
  • Coleman microfleece pillow thing, it's really just a super soft bag you can put stuff in to make a pillow. It takes up zero room, cost like $5 at an outlet sale and I love it.
  • MSR Whisperlight shaker jet stove, runs on almost anything and uses the two fuel canisters I carry for spare gas for the bike
  • Nesting set of a pot and bowls, myriad of lights (love the cheap UFO style LED ones for the tent), bug spray (those little smoking coil things work great!), etc etc.

For 2 person camping it's pretty much all the same but we have an REI Half Dome 2 Plus tent. I love REI tents, I've had terrible luck with other, similarly priced ones. We came back to the Half Dome after getting frustrated with 2 other tents. My original Half Dome was an ex-rental tent and never leaked a drop even though I never treated it. Gave it to a friend in need back in 2008. So glad we went back to an REI tent!

My advice? Buy used. If you can find a used REI tent go for it. Don't skimp too much on the camping pad. The cheap ones are huge and heavy and not that comfortable. Knowing what I know now I would've saved up and bought an Exped in the first place. The cheap sleeping bags are fine, easy to add a fleece liner if need be. I don't like the penny/alcohol stoves. The white gas stoves cook better, but it's a pain to carry different fuel containers.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Here's my old Chrysalis....
IMG_2207-2.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
You can make your own. If you can find the fabric cheap at fabric store etc, you just then used a tube of silicon caulking dissolved in mineral spirits.

Oddly enough I even found a video in it

or you could possibly use Rustoleum's Neverwet coating on it.
Oh, thanks! I'll check out that video.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I've got the Eno Profly. If you have source for hanging a Hammock it's a great item and super light. Bought a couple poles to go with it in case Im in a camp without trees nearby.
What sort of poles did you pick up and where?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bottom entry all the way easier to get into.

I made my own tarps too, but I bought ready made silnylon.

And obo what do you guys keep in a edc bag..... maple syrup

Bug out bags contain every more syrup and spare hockey pucks.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bottom entry all the way easier to get into.

I made my own tarps too, but I bought ready made silnylon.

And obo what do you guys keep in a edc bag..... maple syrup

Bug out bags contain every more syrup and spare hockey pucks.
You forgot bear spray.... polar bear spray that is. And freeze dried poutine. With those and my trusty igloo ice block saw and harpoon walking stick, I'm all good to go eh?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did not think you where that far north.

Btw my brother in law is in Vancouver, he's dating a Canada citizen.

He has been up there 3 out of the last six months, he is lucky his job is internet based. But the girl can't stand the usa, but does all her shopping down here. She is a public services leach, 26 years old works only long enough to go back to school and still get "employment ins".

I also enjoy real moose head... will you ship?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The brewery is about a 10 minute commute from here :) They have a pipe that flows the old beer runoff etc down to the bay. Lot's of tipsy seagulls and lazy swimming fish around that smelly outlet.

Heck I never even thought of the name in a "Canadian" context of a moose head. Not to confuse Molson Canadian with Moosehead either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really liked moose head when I went to Halifax when I was in the navy. Well it might have been the fact I was 19 and could drink legally. I wonder how long it took to rebuild the bar we took over :)

Tried American moose head it sucked.

Back to camping

For shelter look at what works with your style and budget.

For food, go look in your fridge and pantry and look at what you eat normally then try to figure out to make it with no fridge and a minimum of utensils.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
You forgot bear spray.... polar bear spray that is. And freeze dried poutine. With those and my trusty igloo ice block saw and harpoon walking stick, I'm all good to go eh?
Somebody told me the best thing to spray around your camp is urine from a virgin the just started her cycle.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For food look into freeze dried pricey but no cooler needed.

You can make some pretty good meals from everyday stuff at the grocery store, that does not need to be kept cold. Lipton chicken pasta sides with a can of chicken mixed in is decent and filling with nothing more than boiled water.

Poor mans egg drop soup is ramen noodles onion soups boiling water and a egg broken and mixed in.

Breakfast is cereal and milk powder in a zip lock just add cold water and shake.

Done with mostly dry foods you are looking 1.5 to 2 lbs a day depending on temp.

If you a milk drinker go to a ethnic food store and look for klim, yes its milk backwards, its dry whole milk, tastes much better.

Btw you can eat like this for 4 bucks a day
That's how I eat right now...lol
Trying to save up for my trip

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Somebody told me the best thing to spray around your camp is urine from a virgin the just started her cycle.
If you want to try and get urine from an menstruating bear go for it.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Though I have camped in the past, I'm very much a novice.
Don't own any of my own camping gear...
We will make an expert camper out of you yet.

That or get you killed.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts