RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got some new bars and now i need to reduce the preload on my front end. i had installed 3/4" pvc spacers. so i got to thinking... the zr-7 fork can't be all that different from many others. is there another higher end bike that has adjustable front preload with the same diameter fork? if there is you could probably just get the fork caps, maybe adjust the base spacer a bit and you'd then have adjustable preload for the cost of new fork caps.

anyone know of another kawasaki with the same diameter forks that we could get caps from?

scott :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually I have been thinking the same thing. There are some trick aftermarket anodised alternatives, but I think it should be possible to find just the caps off some crashed bike.
Anyone know a cap that would be a screw-in?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
berto, of course i didn't look there! i'm too lazy to do that so i asked all of you instead :) but since no one knows off the top of their head that's the next thing to do. and maybe stop by the dealer to do some measuring and ask a few questions. do you know if the parts diagrams list fork diameter?

grendel2, thanks for pointing that out! more anodized blue! they might be less expensive too. and junk yards would be a great place to go also. i don't imagine there's much call for fork caps so you might get a deal there too.

i figure anything that has preload will also have a damping adjust but i think you can just leave that alone and it won't do any harm.

if none of this works out i may be forced to get some stock caps and modify them. martin has talked about adding air preload but i'd rather have a nut or bolt to turn. this all started because i'm too lazy to disassemble the froks and adjust my pvc preload spacers. anyone who kows engineers knows that they become most industrious when they're lazy, sometimes designing and fabricating entire new systems to avoid 10 minutes of real work.

my dad always said that i thought manual labor was the president of mexico ;)

this all started beca

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the top cap part number for the 2000 zr-7 is 44029-1147.

the 2002 ninja zx-6 also has 41mm forks but it has adjustable preload and damping. there are two parts to the top cap, a seat and an adjustment unit:
1) cap-fork bolt 11012-1928
2) seat-fork spring 44029-1158

so i guess i've got to head on down to the dealer and see if i can do a swap. from the diagrams it looks like the two part assembly for the ninja takes up more space. i'm guessing i'd have to trim the stock spacer down to get things just right if this all fits together.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a thought, but is there going to be any clearance issues with the handlebar? Especially if the new bar is flatter? My bike is in storage so I can't actually see it, but was thinking about clearance.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
notime, could be :( the ninja uses clip ons so our tubular bars might hit. have to see how tall the caps are.

bowman, yikes! concours prices scare me! i was looking to replace the passenger pegs and the concours looked like they'd fit. the price was astronomical. i'll keep it in mind though, ninja prices aren't exactly bargain basement.

·
Registered
660 Posts
the top cap part number for the 2000 zr-7 is 44029-1147.

the 2002 ninja zx-6 also has 41mm forks but it has adjustable preload and damping. there are two parts to the top cap, a seat and an adjustment unit:
1) cap-fork bolt 11012-1928
2) seat-fork spring 44029-1158
You might go ahead and get the fork collar as well 92143-1758. It would depend on the length of the stock spacer. The one in the ZX-6 looks to be 100mm I'm not sure about the one in the ZR-7.

But basically those four parts ar the only things different between the two bikes forks.

These have also been the forks on the ZX-6 for years so they should be easy to find in any bike salvage yard. I think I'll have to call around and see.

Does anyone know of a xref parts list for Kawasaki? It would be nice to see what other bikes use these parts.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't know if i'd get the collar, it would depend on the price. since it will probably take a little tuning to get the length right with the zr-7 springs i'd rathe start by just using pvc. maybe get a steel replacement when the length feels right.

do you know how long these have been used on teh ninja? my friend has a 93 and she doesn't have adjustments.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I looked at the specs on the kawasaki site. In '93 there was a model change from ZX600-D4 to ZX600-E1. The E series have preload adjustments while the D did not.

I should qualify my earlier statement. The part number prefixs are the same, the suffixs are different. Sometimes this can be significant, for example the Under Fork Holders are very different but both are 44037-xxxx while generic 8x40 bolts have totally different part numbers. In the parts diagram s they look the same so it might be possible to make the change.

I wouldn't pay for new. The parts you are looking to replace should not wear and they should be easy to get from a salvage yard for a fraction of the price of the new part. If I get a chance I'll call around locally and see what I can find. This makes more sense to me for a modification then using the pvc spacers.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just checked with one of the local shops. For the Fork bolt cap nad the Fork Spring Seat (11012-1928, 44029-1144) they want $24.95. The salvage yard was wanting $20. If all they are going to save me is $10 I'll just by new, now if I can get them to $10 a set.... But for $50 it will be my first modification.

:D

BTW. When the parts guy learned it was for a ZR-7s he started ragging on Kawasaki for making the '02 purple.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

BTW. When the parts guy learned it was for a ZR-7s he started ragging on Kawasaki for making the '02 purple.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i guess that's good. if he didn't like the bike he probably wouldn't care one way or the other. mechanics seem to dig the elegant simplicity of teh zr7/7s.

thanks for all the info. the parts are much less expensive than i thought they would be! this mod is now officially on my list.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Stopped by the local dealer to get a look at the ZX6 and noticed a couple of things.

Make sure the part is for an E series ZX6. The new ZX6 is F series and has a very different front end.

The stock handle bars should be okay. The fork bolt has an outer bushing which screws into the end cap which will be too wide to install without removing the handle bars, but since they would be off anyway this is not a problem. The actual adjusting bolt is only about 11mm and can be adjusted with a big screwdriver so there should be room to clear the bar.

I really liked the clip-ons though. I think I may see what the rest of the top end will work and how much it would cost. It would only lower the bars by maybe an inch which I think I'd prefer anyway.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I can make them

It's pretty darn easy to drill a hole and tap the stock caps. I have the precision machinery to do it now.

I'm going to make an order to Ron Ayers so adding a few caps to the list isn't a big deal. Just want to see if there are any buyers.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The ZX6E (93-04) while being 41mm forks like the ZR7 are NOT the same at all. You can put uppers from either bike in the lowers of either but you have to keep the bushings together as well as the damper rods paired with the uppers. The fork caps are NOT compatible. They are close but not the same.

11012-1928 (as I recall) is all I ordered from RonAyers for like $6 and it came with everything: fork cap, 18" rebound bar, and preload adjust all assembled. Where Kaw gets off charging $20 each for the ZR7's fork caps is beyond me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts