RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put accent lights in my mean streak. My question is where is everyone putting their control box at?? I want to get a cyron system with a remote so I can run it wirelessly but I haven't really looked at where the box can go yet. Needs to be out of the elements (no rain, water when hosing down etc.) Ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think most people put them in the side cover on the left side from what Ive seen... thats where Im planning on putting mine

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If mounted in the side panel you might want to be sure the wires have a short downward bend before entering the compartment. My thinking here is that water may follow down the wiring harness/wires. The bend would give the water a drip point outside of the compartment rather than following it right to the control box. I do this with my bike's electrical accessories but it might be overkill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thats the only place i can think of to put it also however from what i've heard that side cover isnt waterproof...i'd like to be able to get to it easily and i dont see much use for that compartment anyway. i can put insurance paper and whatnot in my saddlebag if i need to. is there any room under the seat?? i havent had the bike long enough to start taking things off to explore it yet. can that side cover be waterproofed?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
It's not waterproof, not even close. I can't think of a truly waterproof place except maybe the hotbox.

Depending on the size of the unit, under the seat might work. There's some room, but not much. It isn't waterproof either, but might be more so than a side cover. Another option might be under the tank somewhere, but you say you need access to it (this is for the remote unit?

Maybe you could get some kind of plastic parts box that seals up pretty good and put it in there. Sort of like Tupperware.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there a way to make that side cover water proof in some way? either with some 3M adhesive foam or something?? i was looking at the hot box but i'm not sure if i want to spend the $310 on the box...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats what i'm hoping can be an option. i have saddlebags on it that carry all my paperwork, insurance, etc so that box is completely unused. i'll take a look at it tomorrow but i'm hoping i can use that spot for the control box

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know what the control box looks like.. Can you put it in a balloon and have the wires coming out and seal the opening? I have done that in the past to waterproof parts but there is an obvious size restriction.. For the paperwork in my side compartment, I use Ziplock bags.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the control box for the system i'm thinking about using is 5" wide 3.5" tall and 1 1/8" thick. it barely fits in the side compartment if "layed flat" (i made a mock up one with some wood blocks) so i'll need to make some sort of plate for it so it can actually be secured in. i dont know what is under the seat yet and i dont know what is under the tank yet. that is for another day when its not -15 in my garage haha.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have mine in the leftside cover next to my PC3 just above the toolbox. You can use clear RTV Silicone to seal off the area where the wires run down into the cover to help prevent running moisture getting to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have mine in the leftside cover next to my PC3 just above the toolbox. You can use clear RTV Silicone to seal off the area where the wires run down into the cover to help prevent running moisture getting to it.
what I'm thinking about doing. Can you post a picture?? I gotta see how you did it!

·
Registered
882 Posts
My left side toolbox area stays dry but then again we don't get much rain here lol but when we do everything in there stays dry

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I don't know where there is any room or a waterproof place. At this may be a bogus idea, however, my initial thought was behind one of the side covers. These come in different sizes and you could possibly mod something up to be at least mostly waterproof

Food storage containers Food Cuisine Plastic

·
Registered
228 Posts
what I'm thinking about doing. Can you post a picture?? I gotta see how you did it!
Sorry for the late reply....just now came across your response. I can take a pic of it this weekend for you. The interior of the left side cover stays pretty (dry even in heavy rain)... I 've riden thru quite a few rain storms and haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wire Electrical wiring Technology Electronic device Audio equipment

Not the best shot, but it gives an idea. The LED Control box is the gray box I the upper right corner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is upstairs in the wardrobe, not meant to be, but that is where it has been for a while waiting :)

Thought an irreverent reply is what you needed!

There are some very neat mobile phone waterproof beach accessories that if you drill a small hole for the wiring and add a rubber grommet (or silicone) will take care of all your issues.

All the best.
Taff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts