RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I installed a Power Commander V Fuel + Ignition that I purchased off of a member here. I also installed the auto tune setup at the same time. This past weekend I had a 400 mile round trip not including the riding around I did while I was visiting my In-laws. I used the 2 brothers slip on map from PC's website as my base map. The 2 brothers map ran really rich on my 07, but I figured I would just let the auto tune do it's job. I had read on various forums that I should wait to accept trims until after 300 miles, But I decided to cut that 100 miles short at accepted the trims once I arrived at my destination. The base map that I installed caused me to lose about 10mpg, but I knew that going into this I would initially lose mpg until the auto tune got itself sorted out. I did my best to keep from engine braking the entire ride to prevent reversion that would cause the auto tune to have improper readings and when it was safe I would run 3rd and 4th gear to redline. After accepting the trims my MPG went back up to pretty much normal. I shut the auto tune off via the power commanders switching ability and ran on my newly created base map while I was visiting. Instantly I noticed smoother acceleration & deceleration along with little to no popping. Before installing this setup I could shoot flames from my exhaust, now that is all but a memory. Now onto the part that most people are interested in, Power. There was definitely a change in power, maybe not in overall power, but there was more power throughout the power band. It eliminated some flat spots that I could feel prior to installing this setup and it just is overall way more smooth. Then for the ride home I switched the auto tune back on and let it do its thing. Once I got home I looked over the suggested trims and threw out any numbers that were high value changes and then accepted the trims. So far I'm enjoying this map and I leave the auto tune on to make changes as I'm riding. Bringing the wheel off the ground in 1st and 2nd is stupid easy now and kinda of scared me at first, in the year that I have owned the bike, I have only been able to bring the wheel off the ground twice while not trying. Now I have to be careful how hard I take off in first, I can't just give it 100% out the door or my butt will be dragging the floor. Overall I'm very happy with the PCV + auto tune. I most likely will try a zero map here soon and see where the auto tune takes it.

I tried cliffs map as a base map on my 07 but it made my bike run really rich I think it had to do with the 40s he had in column for 0% throttle. I could always smell fuel coming from my exhaust. I think this was because my bike is an 07 and first gens have been noted as running rich from the factory.

I filled up my tank before leaving home and had to fill up about 40-50 miles away from my destination. When I filled up the bike took 3.99 gallons. It was really close to running out. I once again topped off before I left my in-laws and proceeded to head home my fuel light didn't come on until about 30 miles from home. I filled up when I got home and it only took 3.83 gallons to fill up. I gained my mileage back once my base map was set in order. My auto tune table is set to 13.2 for all ranges accept from 4500-6500 rpm 5-20% throttle is set to 13.7 for a little bit better fuel economy. I may drop the higher rpm and higher throttle %'s to 13 to see if I can gain a little bit more omph in the top end.

This is just my first week review of the PCV + Auto tune. My opinion is it works well and does what it's supposed to. If you can manage not to accept trims after every small trip and allow the auto tune to get a good amount of averaging data you will ride away with a decent map.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Welcome to the club.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.