RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a trend latley on the board, a good trend. A few ZR riders have moved on to other bikes, 1000cc Yamaha, 1200cc Kawi, ect. Now that it is many of our off seasons, we should all welcome info on these other bikes. I am finding the most interesting reading in the "other bikes" forum. There's just so much that can be said about any one bike. I ask any member who moves onto any other ride, please stay here. Tell us everything, not as ZR riders, but as motorcyclists.

Perhaps there may be a way to further expand the board, to include other non- ZR riders. I know, I could just go to another board, but this one is more of a home to me. This board, is too, some how a cut above many others I've checked out.

I know the inherent problems associated with letting in any and all "outsiders." Contrversy arises over who's ride is better, and so on. But, I believe, the types who ride simmilar bikes to the ZR, are simmilar people. Not hard core sport bikers, not cruisers, but regular everyday standard bike riders. Some days sport riding, some days touring, many days commuting, like so many of us.

Aren't you interested in knowing about the other bikes out there. The other standards from present and past. About other rider's experiences good and bad. I feel, even in a pissing match, the ZR holds it's own, and then some. But that's not the point. Positive interaction with other bike riders is what it's about. Kind of like a bigger picture.

I don't know. Really I'd just like to say again. To members who move on or up or over, to other models, Tell me all about it. Don't feel as if you're snubbing the rest of us because your new ride performs better. Our egos can handle it, and inquiring minds want to know. Stay here and make our community bigger, and better. Maybe a new topics board, rather than other bikes, other riders.?

:) Tony.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Tony-

I have to agree, I get a LOT of info from the other bikes forum too. I doubt I will replace the ZR-7 soon but it is good to hear opinions from riders that have made the switch from a ZR-7 to something else. Most of us here are into the same style bikes so the input I can get on future replacements is quite valuable.

Netlore's FZ-1 experience has me wanting one!!!

Chris

Z

·
0 Posts
I agree...it's great having other opinions and advice on other machines...barring anything unforseen in the future, i to will be buying another bike...My wife knows that after her new car is paid off, I will be buying a new bike...I WILL be keeping the ZR and probably buying a sport-tourer like the ST1300 or Futura down the road...I plan on staying with the ZR community too!...we are going to buy a 2002 VW Jetta this week, so after 4-years of payments, I can buy my dream Bike! :D If everything goes well in the next month, I might get a psoition on our Departments Motorcycle Unit....we ride BMW's and H-D's....now if I can just figure out how to make more room in the garage???:rolleyes:

Ride Safe!

Pete S.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
tony, i think you've put your finger on it. we started here because we have the same bike but we're staying here because we have the same attitude. we're not hard core squids or cruisers, just like riding.

in a recent issue of cycle world there was a flood of mail generated by some editorial that mentioned "real bikers" which brought up the question, "what is a real biker?" the best answer i saw was simple, a real biker rides. the type of bike, age, condition, type of riding, equipment, etc are all unimportant. what is essential is spending time on two wheels and enjoying it. polishing your ride, tuning it up, getting more performance out of it, sifting through catalogs, spinning 5 minutes away to the espresso bar and spending two hours drinking lattes... these are all fun and integral to motorcycling but they're not what makes a real biker.

so i think this forum is filled with a higher percentage of real bikers than most and i hope it stays that way.

i propose we try to steer the growth of the forum. one branch should be devoted to teh zr-7 specific stuff - that's what started it and it should stay that way. the other branch should be devoted to no nonsense motorcycling. it's already kind of this way; daily ride doesn't have a subtitle of 'on your zr-7'. nor does accessories, group rides or off topic. as more of our brothers and sisters buy different bikes i think it won't take much from us to have a nicely mixed community.

scott :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
It sounds like a decent idea to me, it will totally be up to Jarel though and what he decides. If we go this route I would like to hear some suggestions on different forums and categories you would like to have added.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
I like the idea myself. I've been here about a year and have seen some very good changes since last March. Maybe a section for "former ZR-7 riders/owners" to have a place to talk about what they ride now and daily experiences whether it be riding, accessories, etc. Thanks for the idea Tony. Tom :cool:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
I'm all for it. In fact, the comment about, "you can only talk about the ZR-7 only so much" is spot on. With the exception of "tech support" for undoing my botched mods on my bike, I find I respond/comment more on just riding and motorcycling in general than anything ZR-7 specific.

It's just like any new group of friends you make. At first, a common interest brings you together, but you realize there's a whole lot more to talk about and stay friends for besides what brought you together in the first place.

Personally, I think the "internet friendships" we've all made here are much more valuable (at least to me) than discussing how one fairing is noisier than another! :smilewink

Emrah

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Tony,

I agree that other riders who have moved on should be welcomed to share in their experience. However I wouldn't anticipate too many messages.

What draws us together is the fact that we all have a ZR. If someone has another bike they go to a web site devoted to their own model.

I like to visit other sites like http://www.sportbikeworld.com and http://www.sportbikes.net and they have many areas of interest. Yet they really don't get very many messages except for the daily ride.

For example, Aris started a new message area for Naked Bikes at Sportbikeworld and its not active at all.

Andy

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I dunno. I think the "Other Bikes" section is enough. There has been alot of good info discussed there, and I'm sure there will be more but I think if concessions are made, it won't be long until the name is here, but the identity is lost. I notice there are new members registering almost daily. I think that there should be some type of effort made to welcome them in and get them in the discussions and get them involved in some of the regional and sub-regional rides that are put together here. There's always somone going on a ride or putting one together. I'm sure that there are more ideas and interests right here in the silent members we have that we shouldn't have to go to far, we just need to open up what's here now.

That's just my opinion. :cool:

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Well, this idea has come up a few times in the past couple of years that the board has been up. I would definitely encourage anyone who wants to participate in the board, ZR-7 ownership is not a requirement. But I do agree with Andy that what has drawn most of us together is the ZR-7. I've always stated that the audience for ZR-7.com and this forum is "ZR-7 enthusiasts". While we do have members with other bikes now, they started here as ZR-7 owners. We really don't have the type of board that is appropriate for owners of other bikes who have no association with the ZR-7. That's what the "mega" sites like Sportbikeworld are for, and that definitely comes with a whole new set of responsibilites and problems. We don't have the infrastructure or administration capabilities (i.e. money) to manage that sort of site. The only migration I could see that would make sense (long term) would be to a more generic "naked bikes" site, since I'm not aware of a good one that exists. That's could be a pretty good fit for our group, since there is still the common trait of an affinity for naked bikes that we all share. I'm definitely open to the idea, but I would need a firm commitment from several other people to provide content since that would be more than I could handle.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the positive feedback. Scott, you're idea of steering the growth of the forum sums it all up. I see some pages are full and acitve with treads, others empty and in-active. Tom, great idea for former ZR riders. Emrah, it's the internet friendships that make this board a home, we shouildn't lose this. Andy, We want to stay focused on ZR, and remain able to expand without losing members. Many topics are repeated by new members. The older members then usually refer back to past thread. Martin, It is the influx of many new members I first thought of, then of the older members who some appear to be moving on. I don't think we'll lose our identity. Your idea to welcome new members is a great one. Putting together group rides, could we really get together on this ?

Tony.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I know this is off season for a bunch of riders, but in the last few months I've had opportunies to get together and ride with a good handful of folks here. I met up with Scott (twice), Canyondog (and a handful of dogs there), Emrah (3 times), Desertwolf and Pdarnall and one non-ZR rider (help me here Scott, I totally forgot her name). I'm looking forward to more encounters with more riders. I see some of the Bay Area riders are getting together, the Texas folks have burned some gas together and some of the east coast guys are talking. As we speak (o.k., type), Croster and I are starting to work on a ride for sometime this spring in the central Ca. region. I'm pulling up some maps to put in front of some riders I know in the Fresno, Madera area to see which ones they would recommend for 1/2, 3/4 and full day rides. I'm also kicking around something in the New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado area for either late spring or early fall (that one's going to take the most work). I'm trying to get them in areas that offer both hotel/motel accomodations as well as camping close by for those that wish to rough it and places that are accessible for trailers for those that wanna haul their bikes there and home.

But I think rides and get togethers are quite feasible. They just take a little coordination and the "want" to ride. If someone wants to put together a ride and wants some help with it, gimmee an e-mail or private message through the site and I'll help as best I can. And for those that have a favorite area, get in touch with other local riders and share it (sometimes it's just that easy).

For the silent and/or new members, I encourage you to jump in here and voice you opinions, share your "Daily Ride" and don't be shy about meeting up for a ride. If you're in the area (either live close by or just passin' thru) and wanna ride or fix a break or sync. a carb, my bike's always full of gas and my garage door is always open. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts