RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow congrats dude! what sort of maintenance have you done to the bike to make it last so long?

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's awesome!

If it's kilometers, that works out to just over 62k miles (62,137 to be exact). Still a lot of miles! Good job!

As it was said earlier, would definitely be interesting to hear often you do oil changes and what your maintenance schedules are etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking to myself, I wonder as a percentage, how many bikes have/ will see 100,000kms ?

Maybe 2%, very low~ Just my guess

Lawrence

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was thinking to myself, I wonder as a percentage, how many bikes have/ will see 100,000kms ?

Maybe 2%, very low~ Just my guess

Lawrence
Not many I'd guess, plenty of mine will or have. My (98) ZX-9R had 130,000 kilometre's on it when it was taken out by the Camry. My ZRX1200R has had 40,000 put on it in 4 years and the Z1000 has had 6,000 since February this year when I got it (to replace the 9).

Oil change every 5000 k's with Motul 5100 - works for me

A friend of mine had 90,000 on her 2000 model ZX-9R BEFORE she set of off on a round Australia trip.............

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 1990 FZR has 65 000 kms and I thought that was a lot. Still feels like new though so I'm convinced these jap engines are solid

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The speedo seems to be in km/h so it must be 100000 km, but why is your temp in *F? If it's in *C, your bike is overheating. :rolleyes:
Anyways, good job!
That's because I bought my bike in Washington, and it can switch back and forth between US unit and metric both on distance and temperature. And I forgot to set it completely in metric, so the 2nd pic showing temperature in Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's kilometers, that works out to just over 62k miles (62,137 to be exact). Still a lot of miles! Good job!

As it was said earlier, would definitely be interesting to hear often you do oil changes and what your maintenance schedules are etc.
The interesting thing is that soon as it reached 100,000km, I switched to US unit, and it showed 62,500mi. Because I bought my bike in US, I guess it's calibrated in US unit, and when it shows in metric, it's simply calculating it by multiplying by 1.6. So I've put 100,000km a bit earlier than this:agree:

I'll go thru my service record...stay tuned!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '96 Vulcan 800 classic has 92,000 kms on her, just the basic maintenance,

I used Canadian tire motorcycle oil, Formula 1 10w-40 (SHELL) for most of the miles, now use Rotella 10w-40 (rotella T 15w-40 and T6 5w-40 mixed 1:1)

Lawrence

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's interesting reviewing service record after achieving 100,000km.
* Replaced front tire 4 times and rear tire 7 times. All of them are sport touring tires.
* Replaced chain 3 times.
* Replaced front and rear sprockets once.
* Replaced clutch cable once.
* Replaced low beam bulb once.
* Replaced front wheel bearings once.
* Replaced air filter once to K&N, should be permanent. Cleaned twice.
* Replaced front brake pads twice, never replaced rear.
* Has been running on octane 91 or higher for 1st year, then 87 since 2nd year. I put cheapest gas. No effect in power I feel and gas mileage.
* Has been following service schedule for 1st year, then not strictly since 2nd year.
* Adjusted (or simply checked?) valve clearance once.
* Motor oil and filter change every 12,000km. Filters are Tech2000 brand from Wal-Mart (I was told it's manufactured by Fram), costs less than $3. I've been using cheapest oil around $2/L/QT mostly 10W30, sometimes 10W40. I'll experiment with 5W30 this winter.
* Has been replacing followings every year: spark plugs (I started using copper ones instead of iridium since last year, have been always clean), coolant, brake fluids.
* Got flat on rear tires twice: once by a nail then repaired by a plug, another by unknown object repaired by a patch.

I have a feeling the battery or clutch plates may be the next one to die, but it's still going strong.
And it has been washed maybe 30 times?:sweat:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts