RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a 1992 Ninja 600 for sale and i test drove it and it ran great. So i bought it and as i was leaving to my house it just all of a sudden bogged down on me and then wouldn't idle. After playing with it for a while i realized that it only has problems after running for about 5 minutes. then it just won't idle and it very sluggish. After letting it sit for a while it'll start right up and go with no problems until a few minutes of riding again. I'm thinking it might be a radiator problem? It seems to run really hot. Also, as i was riding it it started having problems as usual, and just as i was sitting at a stop light the rpm all of a sudden kicked back up to normal and it idled with no problems and ran just fine for a few miles, then back to the usual sluggish non-idling problems. I have no clue what that means, Help someone??

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
This is a ninja 650 forum so there's not much experience on that bike here. I'd suspect you have bad gas or garbage in the float bowls or it may be an electrical problem. Start by draining the float bowls and having the battery tested at an auto parts store. I don't think it's the radiator is causing the bad running. That may be a separate issue though.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
After playing with it for a while i realized that it only has problems after running for about 5 minutes.
Almost always this is some kind of fuel flow problem.
Plugged tank vent.
Partially plugged fuel filter.
Kinked fuel hose.
Reserve lever on petcock in wrong position.
Defective or disconnected vacuum line to petcock.

If you are not familiar with all of that, a shop probably could fix it for about a hour's labor, whatever that is in your area, often less than $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments and help. After getting the carbs cleaned and replacing air filter fuel filter vacuum hoses and all that good stuff it still has the same problems. Also i noticed it is getting terrible gas mileage. like, 20mpg. I'm guessing it's a gas flow thing. i looked at the gas tank and it's pretty rusty in there. so maybe rust is getting through the gas lines and clogging stuff up? Do i just take it to a shop and tell them to clean out the gas lines and tank? I also don't have too much money left after buying the thing and getting the carbs cleaned. what's the cheapest way to go about this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Take the tank off, throw in some nuts, bolts, screws, whatever is in your old hardware drawer, spray some wd40, silicroil, marvel mystery oil, or whatever lube/cleaners you have, kerosene works well, and shake the tar out if the thing. Like for 20 minutes, rest your arms, and another 20. Sometimes that's all you need. If its really bad you can acid etch the inside, and coat it with a produc called Kreem. Kreem Products Fuel Tank Liner Combo-Pak 1210:Amazon:Automotive

It may not solve the problem but it will eliminate a possible cause.

Reactions: j.leoncito6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k so i let her sit for about a week and now i just fired her up just to see what happened and it ran for a little then when i went to brake it died without warning. no sputtering or anything. so i started her back up and then it just wouldn't start. it would turn over but not start. this maybe leads me to believe it's an electrical issue?? this is really turning into a nightmare. :\ there's probably multiple problems with it but i don't really know.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Take the tank off, throw in some nuts, bolts, screws, whatever is in your old hardware drawer, spray some wd40, silicroil, marvel mystery oil, or whatever lube/cleaners you have, kerosene works well, and shake the tar out if the thing. Like for 20 minutes, rest your arms, and another 20. Sometimes that's all you need. If its really bad you can acid etch the inside, and coat it with a produc called Kreem. Kreem Products Fuel Tank Liner Combo-Pak 1210:Amazon:Automotive

It may not solve the problem but it will eliminate a possible cause.
Thew,

I was almost crying, I was laughing so hard when I read your post!!!!! A long time ago there was a man who reconditioned old Beemer Airheads......... He restored every part of every piece of the bike to it's original condition. He had made a machine from an old child's toy..........a stone polisher (I think it was) and would mount the tanks in wide tractor or atv tires, he then put some kind of medium (not hardware mind you) but perhaps glass beads, and would mount the tanks and tires onto the tumbler and turn it on!

It made a distinctive sound, and whenever I walked into his shop, you could here the noise of the tank rotating on the machine and cleaning out the inside. I forget what that process was called, but remembered it from your DIY scenario!

Thanks for memories and the Laugh!

Cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your're welcome!

I got that technique from my year at MTTI powersports and power equipment technician training. Our instructor, "Doc" (can't for the life of me remember his name right now) had me clean out the tank on my CB160 that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts