RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wonder if someone can provide/advise me of a list of what needs to be done with the 8000 miles service (in the UK) not to validate my factory guarantee. The bike shop wants £318-00($445-00) :yell: for the service. And to be honest, I think I can do the
small jobs like changing the oil/oil filter/air filter, lubing the chain(which I'm doing anyways), lubing the cables, adjusting the clutch, chain tension etc.

I know for sure that the valves needs to be checked. I really need to reduce that ridiculous price that the dealer(bunch of rip offs) is trying to 'steal' from me.

Any ideas of what I can reduce the service to without invalidating the warranty?:D

Thanks!
Zero.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good question - I'm inclined to think you might just have to kiss off the bike warranty if you do your own work. I live in Australia and have done my own maintenance from day one. This was to save money and because there is no way to verify if an expensive valve adjustment even gets done. If the engine is running rough as hell - then it's more obvious if the mechanic has actually done what he was paid for.
Unfortunately the valve adjustment on this engine is a real pain - I'm guessing that a mechanic with the shop foreman breathing down his neck would prefer to give the valve cover a wipe with a clean rag and move on to the next job

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Here's the Service Schedule for "Other than U.S. and Canada"

I tried an attachment, but it's not working....I'll try later...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Martin64, I appreciate it. Or if you don't mind, email it to me at [email protected].
Thanks.

Ron ZR7,

I see your point. I wouldn't want to try and do the valves myself. I don't have the space/'workshop' to do it in and I can't afford to have downtime on the bike. It is my daily transport. Also, the engine is running fairly smooth at the moment, so like you say, I won't be able to tell the difference if they worked on it or not:?

I would like to do all the work myself, as there is only one person that loves my bike like I do...... And that'll be me:D

I just thought that if I have a 'list' of what needs to be done, I can go through it and do just about all of it myself. I was thinking that they only have to do the valves and the carb sync....., as lubing the cables, changing the oil, checking the torque on the suspention etc, I can do that myself.

Am I right in thinking that by them only doing the valves and carb sync, my warrenty will still br intact?

Thnks for the advice.
Zero.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know about in the UK but on this side of the pond regular maintenance does not void warranties. It is advisable to keep good records because if something goes wrong the manufacturer can come back and say that it failed because you did not do the regular maintenance. If you do things yourself and something breaks you are SOL, they don't warranty that you know what you're doing.

Has anyone been able to find out what the book time on adjusting the valves is? I was talking to a mechanic yesterday who used to work for one of the local Kaw dealers and he said it shouldn't take over an hour if that was all that was being done. If what he says it right (and I'll give that he was going by memory) it is outrageous we are getting charged for 5 to 7 hours labor on this. I'm sure it doesn't take 5 hours in any case. If you take your time all the other items might take 1.5 to 2 hours

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi JET,

Thanks for your input. I especially appreciate the info on how long it should take to get the valves done. I would also find out how many hours in labour these people (Local dealer for Yam, Suz, and Kaw) are trying to charge me.

Thanks again.
Zero.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
It's going to take at least 2-4 hours, IF you have all the stuff you need on-hand. If they were tappets instead of "under bucket", it would take way less time. But you have to take it apart, take all the measurements, take the cams loose, put in the new shims, put the cams back in, check the measurements (if it's wrong, repeat the last 4 steps) and then put it all back together. It takes a while to do. It will take all day and part of another if you don't have all the stuff or you have to run around looking for shims. Take the time to go to the home page and into the maintenance section. There's a couple write-ups on doing the valves, it'll give you some more insight ....

·
Registered
660 Posts
I understand what is involved in adjusting the valves. I agree it would take me the better part of a day to do it. But I'm not sure that is the case for a pro. That's why I'm curious what the book time is.

·
Gold Member
182 Posts
JET said:
I understand what is involved in adjusting the valves. I agree it would take me the better part of a day to do it. But I'm not sure that is the case for a pro. That's why I'm curious what the book time is.
If I remember right, it is 2.0 hours for the ZR-7 and 2.5 hours for the ZRX. I was surprised that the ZRX was more. I guess it was the because of the watercooling stuff.

Andrew

Z

·
0 Posts
Well, I've done it...:( ...I dropped my baby off at the dealer for it's first 6,000 mile service (valve adjustment, etc...):( I miss my girl soo bad...at least the weather was in the mid 50's and sunny on the way to the shop...:) ...my maintenance guy said it would take about 2-3 weeks...:mecry: ...that's just too damn long without my bike...I need my two-wheeled fix...:mecry: ...he told me it would cost around $200-250, I guess that's not too bad compared to some of the horror stories...at least it will be ready for some serious butt-kickin' ridin' this spring!!! :D

Ride Safe All!

Pete
:mecry:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
2 to 3 WEEKS?!?!?!?!!?:eek: :eek:

Well, like you said, at least it's pretty "cheap". I have just under 10,000 miles and I have yet to do my maintenance. I did my 600 mile break-in service at 1100 miles, but haven't touched it since except for oil changes. Hell, I raked up all those miles since July! I think if I actually get off the bike long enough, it can actually get some work done to it! I can feel it needs some love. Checking the valves, a carb synch and new plugs I'm sure will do wonders! My bike mechanic I always go to (GREAT little shop right around the corner from me and very experienced) said they'd do it for $200. These guys know their stuff too! I haven't taken it in though, as I'm moving in 2 weeks and am kind of busy with a myriad of other things.

I think at this rate, I'll do my 6000 mile service when I hit 18,000 miles; that should be in 3 months :D

Emrah

Z

·
0 Posts
Well, I got the BLUE baby back! :D Man oh man! She runs like a raped ape for sure! :D It's amazing what a valve job and carb sync will do! Because of the minor oil leak on one of the end caps (under warranty) , they didn't charge me for the valve cover gasket and end caps...total cost was $212.50 (200 labor and 12.50 for plugs and tax).....I may or may not attempt to do the valve service myself next time...I didn't think it was that much to pay....Oh yeah, I did provide my own oil and filter.....

Rise Safe!

Pete
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts