RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These '01 7s Mirrors are already on my nerves. Can't see anything behind me - but I know my "Joe Rocket" emblem is still on my jacket sleeve!

Has anyone found/made extensions or found another mirror that goes further out a 2-4 inches? I mean Fairing mounted mirrors only! I would hate to mount those "over the road" truck mirrors on this bike.

Berto

·
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott,

Thanks for the info. It will at least get me started somewhere. I looked at those fish-eye mirrors at a couple of places yesterday - they would be a nice extra if the stock mirrors were further out to start width. Problem is they won't help me see directly behind me due to "rider width".
Berto

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
Berto,

Same bike, same problem.

I "fixed" it by getting a pair of blind spot mirrors (fish eye's) from Walgreen's of all places. They are 2" and have adhesive to stick to your existing mirrors. I found that putting the stick ons on the outside ends of the mirrors, they give a better look behind me (more clearance around the arms).

Now, I have the regular mirrors adjusted to just barely catch my sleeves so they give a good look at the lanes to each side more than directly behind me. The blind spot mirrors are the ones I use to show me the lane directly behind me. I still do my shoulder checks before changing lanes, but with this setup, the blindspot is really small.

Good luck with it.

Craig

·
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Craig,
Thanks for the input. I saw those mirrors at two different autoparts stores yesterday in my quest for oil & filters for a car, truck & bike. For $1.69USD each it doesn't appear much to loose considering the blindspot I have now. I'll definitely try them out. I was just looking at the Kawa parts schematics to see what mirrors the various Ninjas use to see if a Retrofit was possible here. I'll probably eye them up at the dealer too and take the measuring tape to see if there's any hope.:mecry:
Berto

·
Registered
660 Posts
I posted the same question when I first started riding the bike. Mirrors I went on the same search as you and almost decided to make my own extenders. But what happened was though constant adjustment and time I got used to it. I've now got the mirrors so I can see back and to the side and part of the lane behind. If I want a good veiw of what is directly behind me I still need to tuck my elbows in a bit but I don't even think about it any more.

Woo-Who #75 and a promotion:D

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I think Jet hit the nail on the head.

You just get used to it. The elbows just need to be tucked in a bit when you try to use them.

Most often the only time I use my mirrors is when I'm stopped at a light to make sure someone is not going to rear end me.

If I'm in traffic I always turn my head to verify nobody is in my blind spot.

Andy

·
5,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, tried out the 2" fisheye mirrors on a 225 mile ride Sunday, adjusted mirrors 3 times and still no better for me. I always turn my head back before changing lanes, etc.... but it's still nice to know someone's coming up on you. Looks like I'm going to order some Long Stem Mirrors - Handlebar mount as a temporary solution til I can find an adequate long-term solution for the fairing mounted ones. At least the handlebar mirrors are closer to the rider and should allow a better angle to see directly behind me.
Berto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts