RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen posts on this subject, but now I can't find them. A couple of people have had the 7S fairing noise solved by having the dealership replace the headlight assembly. I'm just wondering 1) If the noise is still gone? 2) When you had it done, did the dealership fight you on it? 3) Do you know the 800 number to Kawasaki to discuss the problem? (I would like to go to the dealership fully loaded with ammo). Any help on this subject is really appreciated. I can't stand the noise anymore, and I better take care of it now while my bike is still under warranty.

Thanks,
Mike (Canyondog)

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
My fairing used to buzz when the bike was new. I now have about 1,900 miles on it and it seams like the buzzing went away. Could be that I rarely hear it and it just doesn't bother me anymore.

How many miles do you have on your bike Mike?

Kawasaki's 800 number is in the back of your owners manual.

Andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Andy:

I have about 8000 miles on my bike. Are you sure your buzz went away. Mine is really bad at about 3000 - 4000 RPMs. If I don't have earplugs in (which is rare) it drives me nuts! I just want to get it fixed for free while I can.

Oh yeah, thanks for the previous compliments on our web site (www.canyondogs.com). Yes I am the webmaster and designer.

Mike (Canyondog)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have 4000+ on my '01 and the fairing buzzes like a hornet in the lower end of the rev range (especially in I am bogging in traffic). It seem to come from where the windscreen joins the fairing. My solution? Stay on the revs!:)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I know my bike is the newbee to our ZR-7 fleet; with only 100 miles on it, everything sounds tight. I'll keep an ear out, though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
fairing buzz gone

My buzz was very bad, around 3000 rpm there were more noise from fairing then the engine. First I called kawi 800 number to check for eventual recall but there were none. My dealer got a little upset that I called kawi, told me I should have contacted him first. First he placed some rubber inside headlight assembly just to see if this would help. This helped narrow the problem to the headlamp. he ordered new one from kawi and ten days later the buzz is completly gone! I told the dealer that in case the buzz will come back I will learn to live with it; his answer was to come back as many times as it is required to make the bike fixed. It was a very good experience. Got D&D slipon today, hope will have a time tomorrow to install it. I have 7,000 miles on odometer.
Save riding.

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
Got rid of buzzzzzzz!

I finally got rid of this characteristic buzz from fairing around 3000 rpm. To fix the problem, remove headlight connector and rubber cover (49015). Than grab reflector and try to move it up and down. You'll feel some freeplay. If you won't feel freeplay, you have different source of buzz. There is a screw on upper left side of headlight. I turned this screw counterclockwise until freeplay completely dissapeared. It took 1.5 turn for me. I have no idea what is this screw for, but it seems nothing got broken and I didn't need adjust headlight. It's already 200 miles with no buzz.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lost My Buzz!

Shuo:

Thanks for the information. I took the lazy way out. I had the dealership order a new headlight assembly and now my buzz is gone too. I don't know what is different about the headlight assembly that they ordered, I'm just glad not to have that noise any more. If it starts again, I'll try what you described.

Thanks again,
Mike (Canyondog)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
does anyone know if kawaski or the dealers are finding this a common problem? being that the bike is relatively rare i wouldn't be surprised if they're not aware of it.

last time i went to the parts counter the guy there didn't even know zr-7's existed, kept insisting i had a ninja :laugh:

scott :)

·
Silver Member
207 Posts
Shuo:

YOU ARE DA MAN!

I had adjusted, tightened, tweaked and fiddled with just about every other nut, bolt and screw looking for that cursed buzz without success. Five minutes after reading your post, the buzz was gone!

THANKS!

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
You're welcome.
I just had fairing apart after my last crush (I ususally crush my bike between 10th and 16th each month), and I decided to take closer look to the headlight. Somebody on the old board (sorry, I don't remember who) narrowed the problem to the headlight, so it didn't take a long time to figure out this screw. For now, it looks like this screw is there especially to make reflector seat tight. I remember that this buzz appeared after I adjusted my headlight first time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Alex,
I just got rid of the buzz, so thank you for your post. I had even brought my ZR to the dealership I bought it at and they said that the buzz was comming from the windscreen and they couldn't fix it, I figured they were wrong, and now I know it. I would have never been able to figure it out myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The noise seems to be gone

Just by chance a locking tab in the headlight assembly broke and I had Kawi replace the headlight assembly. After replacing the headlight assembly, I no longer notice any annouying buzz sounds front the front of the bike. Maybe you could get a dealer to replace the headlight assembly under warrenty.

·
Silver Member
479 Posts
Stan, diagram on maintenace page is the same one that is in my message. There is not an adjuster screw that is close to the bottom. Correct screw is right above it. And I don't really know is this screw correct or not, I didn't disassemble the whole headlight. I turned this screw and free play of reflector dissapeared. Looks like it helped couple of people also. But may be your buzz is from different place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
With 3700 miles on my ZR-7S, most of them putting up with that (&^$%^$*$ buzz, I was ready for drastic measures: taking it in to the local dealer's "service" department.

After reading this thread, though, I checked the Service Manual picture of the headlight assembly and located the screw Shuo was talking about, and even though I couldn't see it last night on the bike, I could reach it easily with the screwdriver. Couple turns and no more buzz.

Another happy and buzzless ZR-7S owner.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, let me try again. Has anyone adjusted the headlight on a "S" model? If so, does the left/right adjustment knob have a lot of free play in it?

Thanks, Zrman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts