RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my bike in and oil/change, 7500mile checkup and chain adjustment only costed me 86$. But I didn't have my tires inflated enough. So now the center of my tire sticks out about two inches and the sides are worn. The guys at the shop said I'd be safe riding for about 2500 more miles. And then I'd have to get a new tire.

Think i'll be safe going on this Canada trip without replacing?

Also they recommended michelin tires. Is this a brand you guys recommend? I want the stickiest tire ever lol, yet able to ride distances with. Any suggestions, how much would they cost? And should I just have the shop install it to be safe?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would recommend replacing your tires. It is unsafe, and foolish, to ride on a tire like that for 25 miles, or 2500 miles.

I think the undoubted top sticky race tire would be the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. If you do a lot of highway though, Pilot Roads are a better alternative.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would recommend replacing your tires. It is unsafe, and foolish, to ride on a tire like that for 25 miles, or 2500 miles.

I think the undoubted top sticky race tire would be the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. If you do a lot of highway though, Pilot Roads are a better alternative.
the regular power pilots and the 2CT (dual compound) seem to be the ultimate choice of tire for most bikes, but its totally your preference. Motorcycle-superstore has at least 30+ different tires to choose from, all of them fit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So will most kawi shops allow you to buy your own tires and have them install them or no?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The key point is whether the shop/dealer charges with the wheel off the bike. If you are mechanically inclined then you can do this yourself and save some $$.

Also just ask your local shop/dealer, they might just match the price or give you a break on installation charges.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you want the stickiest tire ever or do you want distance? Pilot Power Pure, Power 2CT, BT-016 or Dunlop Q2 are some really good, really sticky tires. If you want performance that will last, Pilot Road 2, BT-023, or Pirelli Angels.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
my stock tires rolled not quite 10K miles. i replaced'm with the BT-023s (from southwest mototire ), which the manufacturer claims will provide 20-30% more miles; we'll see about that.

i have started patronizing an independent shop, which charges $48/tire to mount if i buy the tire elsewhere and bring in the bike. the owner said he will match internet prices and reduce the charge to mount if i order the tire from him, plus there's no disposal fee ( i don't understand that...).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you want the stickiest tire ever or do you want distance? Pilot Power Pure, Power 2CT, BT-016 or Dunlop Q2 are some really good, really sticky tires. If you want performance that will last, Pilot Road 2, BT-023, or Pirelli Angels.
This. Nobody has (or ever will) create an uber sticky tire that also pulls touring tire mileage. You want sport/touring tires. These are a middle ground between distance and traction performance. Im looking at replacing my stockers as at 17,xxx they are shot. In the ST world, some of the tires being thrown around the most are the Pilot Road 2's, Angels, Avon Storm 2's, Roadsmarts, and Conti Road Attack Sports with the Angels being the newest craze that alot of people are trying out.

It seems that you arent very big on self-maintainance so either A) find a shop that will mount "bring ins", or B) have the shop order/install them for you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think i'm going to go with the 2ct tires. I spoke with a product tech at motorcycle superstore and were very helpful. The 2ct tires are better than the plain pilot powers as they are dual compound. So it has miles for streightaway and the soft compund on the sides for cornering. The reviews are awesome. Don't have as many miles as the Road. But the way I see it is... the tires are the most important part of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just put on the 2CT Power Pure a couple months ago - feel great in the corners that's for sure..

One thing though - the way the tire is grooved, it seems to "edge-trap" itself in those rain grooves on the freeway - you know which one's I mean? The ones where the lane has grooves running parallel, spaced about an inch apart - the tire catches those and does a faint wobble/shimmy - the tech at the track told me that's what was causing it, and that there is nothing to worry about, but it is a little unnerving..

On smooth pavement they run great though..

Another thing about the Power Pures - the profile is pointy, and a couple times I went way over on the side of the tire, and it felt like it went *way* over on it, like I was about to lowside - the thing is, I can't tell if that is an ok place on the tire to be, or if that was indeed a near lowside? Never have scraped my pegs though so maybe i wasn't that close to lowsiding?

Someone told me that a race/hi-po tire like that will fall over dramatically onto its side which can be unnerving, but that is what it is made to do... So I dunno..

Here's a pic of me running the 2Ct Powerpures at a trackday a month or so ago:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool, thanks for the info:p Yea I heard a little different profile for these tires. It gives a lot more road feedback to the rider instead of just riding and not knowing if you ran over a dead bird or a penny.

Btw, i think you hit a cone back there. J/k:p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow this rear 160/60 pilot power 2ct tire is on complete backorder on every website.... lame... anyone find one that is available?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts