RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the difference is between these bikes. I mean will the Honda really leave the Ninja in the dust? I just recently bought the 650R and I love it and won't be upgrading probably for a while. I just wanted to know...are our bikes that slow? Also I am just comparing to 600cc...not 1000cc...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Totally different styles and classes of bikes.
650R is classed as a sports bike, whereas the CBR is a super-sport and made for the track. Yes, the 650R in the right conditions and with the right rider will out accelerate the CBR, but only to a certain point when the CBR hits it's strides.
Also the riding position is very different, more relaxed on the 650R and more aggressive on the CBR.
Plus you are comparing a 65-70HP, 2 cylinder bike to a 100+HP 4 cylinder track machine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, ok. Yea I mean I wanted to start off with a good fast bike, and I feel that the 650R is pretty fast. See I have never owned motorcycle before. Anyways, I just wanted to know because like I said I am thinking about upgrading (not for a while) and I don't want to upgrade to something that I won't really feel a difference in. Thanks though for your answer. Look like my next bike is the CBR, mainly cause Kawasaki doesn't offer red.

·
Registered
414 Posts
lol

...really?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
apples and oranges!

The new 650R's MSRP is $7200.
The Honda 600RR MSRP is $11,200 (2010 model)

Are you sure you want to spend well over $4000 more for a bike that is not as good for a beginner?

Good luck with that...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I second that BRP

As someone who has ridden for years I've seen people start on too powerful a bike and end up in a pine box or even worse... paralyzed, crapping and pissing into a bag the rest of their lives. (let that thought simmer). I started on a 250 and worked my way up. I didn't saddle a 600 super sport until after about 3 years and over 30,000 miles of experience, and looking back I probably was not ready for a bike like that. In my opinion the 650R is too much bike for someone who has never ridden. Taking the MSF course will help out a lot. That should be the first thing on your list (plus it gives you a nice insurance discount!).

Whichever you choose, be alert and conservative at all times while riding. Have fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Truthfully, I'm very glad 600cc super-sports didn't exist when I started riding, I don't believe I'd have survived. I started on a little Honda CB125 and wrung it out as much as humanly possible, it was very forgiving of my errors and by the time I upgraded (at age 18) I was ready for a higher level of riding.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Word up Queen. Those smaller bikes are a riot in the twisties. I took a 250 Rebel to western NC once.... feels like you're riding a bicycle.... easy to throw around

·
Registered
13 Posts
Word up Queen. Those smaller bikes are a riot in the twisties. I took a 250 Rebel to western NC once.... feels like you're riding a bicycle.... easy to throw around
Yup, lotta fun. I keep a 150cc scooter around to play hooligan on these days.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I mean kawasaki does have red bikes but mainly green is their color. I have a 650R and I did plenty of research and still am. I am happy with my purchase. I just wanted people with real world experience that have ridden both to just tell me roughly the difference in power............also in my opinion, I could have the most powerful motorcycle in the world but that doesn't mean you have to use all the power to max.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well I mean kawasaki does have red bikes but mainly green is their color. I have a 650R and I did plenty of research and still am. I am happy with my purchase. I just wanted people with real world experience that have ridden both to just tell me roughly the difference in power............also in my opinion, I could have the most powerful motorcycle in the world but that doesn't mean you have to use all the power to max.
Well I think you threw a lot of us off when you said you wanted to "start on a fast bike"; so kind of mixed signals. To answering your question directly related to the thread search up 650r drag on youtube.

Some guy races the cbr600; the 650 holds up for a bit and then the top end of the cbr eats it; and like you said, you'll never use all the power and the 650 provides more than enough for riding in the streets.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I think I must of missed a word when I was typing the post. I didn't mean that I wanted to start on a fast bike, just that comparing the 650R to other Motorcycles I don't want it to be a slug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 650 r pulls hard well past the legal limit. The only thing I like better about 600s is the sound of the 4 cylinders, now that I put an exhaust on my 650 ill be satisfied until she breaks.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts