RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dissatisfied with the riding position of the bike when it was stock:(. I didn't have the budget for a supersports so I bought the closest thing (Plus i got an awesome deal from the dealership since it was the last piece). Don't get me wrong, I love this bike and its a great bike for people who will never go to the track/ are not interested in racing. Also I feel beginners will feel non-threatened by the power. I have a friends with 600s and 1000s and its easy to keep up with them till about 70mph and then they'll flee past. So if you do a lot of city rides with friends you won't feel threatened.

Just finished 3000 km on my 650R and finally I got these sport bars on... WOW:D

This is a brilliant mod and I highly recommend it to people who are thinking of upgrading to a supersports just due to riding posture. As soon as i had them fitted, my first impressions were that cornering was easier and the front end of the bike was so much more responsive. If you are around my height (6') you will benefit a lot since the position is more out of the wind so you can duck in easier without having your elbows bent which can be tiring. I love my 650R and now I don't I'll be upgrading to a SS in the near future.

THANK YOU NINJA650SHOP... and thanks to all the forum members who have helped me decide to get these.

·
Administrator
89 Posts
Congrats govinamo! I bought my 2009 Ninja 650R last year for my 2nd bike. I upgraded from a Suzuki GS500F. I love the acceleration and look of my bike, especially in that sexy red color! I too have been looking at the sport bars for almost a year now, but haven’t been able to fully decide on them due to lack of money.

I ride a lot of longer distance tours from Boston to Miami and I have mixed feelings about my body position. I am 6 feet 2 inches and it’s hard to drive when it is very windy, as well as it hurts my elbows leaning on the tank at higher speeds. I just completed my first 3000 Miles on it, but very similar to your 3000 km. :D

Just like you, I didn’t have the money to buy a super sport bike. However, I do like that I can ride more comfortable than on a super sport, because I have issues with my left wrist. Overall, I think I made my decision to finally buy these and I will get foam grips as well.

My only concern here is still the clearance of the levers and the windshield at full turn. I know many people say that I won’t ever make a full turn driving, but I have heard it can crack the windshield when you try to lock the bike. I have read that if I set the levers lower it should work fine, but I haven’t seen any pictures or someone actually say it works out. If you know more, please let me know! Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you set the levers up how they are supposed to be, with levers somewhat down they will clear the windshield. My bike is parked at work right now at full lock. Clears the tank at full lock just fine. Clip Ons do not clear the tank at full lock from my understanding, but sport bars are fine. If someone else doesn't pipe up with pics I can probably take a few.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly as millenix said... it'll clear the tank n windshield just fine. I had an issue as soon as i got these fixed that the brake lever was touching the windshield.. this can be very dangerous especially if you are planning to make a U turn from a red light.. i had the people fix it tho.. primarily the way of fixing it was to twist the levers to sit lower than the stock position. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
been looking at these for my 2011 650r, and likely going to pull the trigger and order them this weekend. I had an opportunity to find someone with the sport bars on their 650r and sat on it and got a chance to see how it felt briefly and that certainly helped. I'm only 5'10 but would like a bit sportier position on the bike without having to bend my elbows and have them sticking out to do it. I'm going to install them myself but I do have one question, can you reuse the stock grips with them or do you need to order another set of grips? If so, can anyone recommend grips that will fit from the 650 store as well? I just don't want to get the bars installed to find out my grips won't fit and be stuck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the progrip 717's that i got from 650shop when i put mine on. I like them a lot. The upside to ordering grips is you only have to take the throttle side stock grip off!

·
Registered
9 Posts
how are they with aftermarket shorty levers? do they still clear the windscreen?

·
Registered
30 Posts
how are they with aftermarket shorty levers? do they still clear the windscreen?
I was just about to post the same question, thinking of grabbing some shorty levers from pazzo at the same time and doing it all at once, but I won't do it if I have to cut the fairing or windscreen

·
Registered
30 Posts
bought the sport bars this morning, just waiting for the confirmation email and the tracking number showing it's shipped. Can't wait to get these on the bike and then will take a run out to Pazzo and see if I can check out their levers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my sport bars today, had them on within the hour, just used a compressor to blow air to get the left grip off.
The rest was pretty simple, had to bend the meal loop holding the wires a bit to accommodate the brake line. And everything clears, the tank, the fairing, I have my levers set on 4 I believe so it's relatively short. Just driving today to and from work they feel amazing, tucking is so much easier, it feels like I'm on an ss

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got my sport bars last week.. and wow, do I LOVE them. I'm about 6'1/6'2 so the upright stance really got my blasted by the wind. The lower stance is alot better, better handling, I just feel more comfortable.

The air compressor trick to blow off the grip is so helpful.

I installed it completely, then realized I put the bars on the wrong side (oops)!. The clutch/brake lever were hitting the windscreen. So had to take it apart and do it all over again. Now, it's all better!

THIS MOD IS WORTH THE MONEY. :FIREdevil

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fitted the Pazzo Shorty levers & found they fouled the windscreen, couldn't get the clearance by rotating them.
Ended up just grinding out the bottom edge of the windscreen to accomodate them, all good now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I fitted the Pazzo Shorty levers & found they fouled the windscreen, couldn't get the clearance by rotating them.
Ended up just grinding out the bottom edge of the windscreen to accomodate them, all good now.
are you positive you had the bars on the correct side? I had the same issue, switched them, then was all good

·
Registered
3 Posts
are you positive you had the bars on the correct side? I had the same issue, switched them, then was all good
Have double checked, but all looks good.

Did some research & found this on Ninja650.com website for 650R '09-'011 Sports Bars.

'There will be a slight touching of the windscreen with aftermarket levers, as the perches for those levers are thicker than stock. If you have aftermarket levers, you may need to cut allowances into your windscreen for the levers to "sink in to". As shown below, it will be very close, but you will have no touching with stock levers when installed properly.'

Took some photo's of them fitted with the windscreen mod....

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey NinjaCannon,

I used a dremel grinder with a sanding disc for the cut outs. Be careful to use a low speed else the material will melt.
No polishing required.

Col.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I want to get these bars for my 15' 650, and will order them from 650shop. I guess I only have one question after reading everything....the bars obviously put the rider in a more aggressive riding posture, more akin to a SS bike then touring...so my question is is it fixed or do I have to choose how low the bars are? I am having a local bike mechanic throw it on for me since he is a family friend, and wasnt sure what kind of info i need to give him. He just said drop off the bike and pick it up after I am off work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts