RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my 2009 650r has a little over 7k miles now, with a little over 700 of those miles being mine and trouble free. Today she left me stranded on the side of the highway. So the problem first started while i was riding on the street doing about 20mph in second gear, there was a 2015 Mustang GT next to me so i pulled in the clutch, and gave a couple of revs of acknowledgment (about 5k rpm), and just as i stopped revving the engine and was about to release the clutch, the engine backfired the loudest its ever backfired before and just cut out. Alright, no big deal, nothing to serious, so i just started her back up. As i keep riding the engine would very loudly backfire on every gear change and everytime i would decelerate in gear. Then as i was riding along a little down the road the engine started to surge for a little bit, i was at about 40mph in 4th or 5th gear, and the engine just started to surge up and down in revs really quickly. Id never experienced this before and it felt very strange. I pulled in clutch and the engine just settled down at idle and i revved it while holding in the clutch to see whats going on. I couldnt replicate the problem, so i just kept on riding. Then i got onto the highway.....bad idea. As i got on the onramp and started to accelerate, the engine just started to surge power and rpm's in just about every gear. The highway had about 20-30mph traffic and the bike kept on surging as i was clutching and declutching in 2nd gear. The next exit was still a good distance away so i just tried to keep going, but eventually the bike would not even let me rev past about 3k, i went full throttle lock and it still would not go about 3k. So i just completely stopped on the side of the highway, and shut her down. I got off and did the whole "lets walkaround the bike look to see if i can spot something wrong" dance. Engine was still there. No oil spewing everywhere. So i just tried getting back on. She started right up, and would still rev to about 3k still, so i just decided to limp her to the exit. NOPE! The bike would idle just fine, but every time i tried to put her in 1st gear, the engine would just shut off. So it came time to push the bike for a couple hundred feet, and i just sat and rolled while idling in neutral off the exit. I shut her off for a minute or two once i got off the exit. And i started her back up again and she stopped having any of the previous issues!!! How? I dont know. When i would neutral rev her to about 5-6k she would make this hissing noise almost like a turbo blow off valve. And the radiator seemed to be screaming its little heart out when i let her sit idling in my driveway for about 2 minutes. But no other problems.
My question is, does anybody know what caused my bike to do this? What should i check for to make sure nothing is wrong with the bike? When checking the oil level in the window, should i see the oil level when the bike is on kickstand, or only when bike it fully upright?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have only had a 650 for a few months so can't comment much. there are far more experienced owners than me on this forum. The engine cut-out at idle once you put it in gear....does your bike have the engine cut-out facility if you engage 1st while the side stand is down? If so, check your wiring and connections around your sidestand...the other stuff about surging and not going over 3T is beyond me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only had a 650 for a few months so can't comment much. there are far more experienced owners than me on this forum. The engine cut-out at idle once you put it in gear....does your bike have the engine cut-out facility if you engage 1st while the side stand is down? If so, check your wiring and connections around your sidestand...the other stuff about surging and not going over 3T is beyond me.
As I was reading your comment I realized that I had left my kickstand down while I was sitting on the side of the road, and I forgot to put it up when I started the bike. so it was the kickstand being down that wouldn't allow me to put it into gear.
Thanks for the comment it helped answer one of my questions!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: oil level - always check with the bike vertical and on level ground.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
One moment the engine runs fine, then you show off, then engine goes kaput? SOOo, stop showing off! hehe

Kidding aside, it could be your fuel filter got clogged when you turned up the rpm. Bad gas maybe? Or something got sucked into your air filter (bird strike, perhaps) and blocked it when you revved. It could be a lot of things. I suggest you download (google) a pdf copy of the service manual, so you may eliminate a bunch of things.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Another thought - "backfired the loudest its ever backfired before" - perhaps you have some water in your fuel. Ethanol has a tendency to attract water. It absorbs it from the atmosphere, one reason why you should run your fuel low before topping up so that you can have as fresh as possible fuel in your tank. Also, a backfire is an ignition of fuel against the normal combustion cycle of the engine - occurs back through the fuel system. A loud noise in your muffler is "after fire."

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Another thought - "backfired the loudest its ever backfired before" - perhaps you have some water in your fuel. Ethanol has a tendency to attract water. It absorbs it from the atmosphere, one reason why you should run your fuel low before topping up so that you can have as fresh as possible fuel in your tank. Also, a backfire is an ignition of fuel against the normal combustion cycle of the engine - occurs back through the FUEL system. A loud noise in your muffler is "after fire."
* intake system, not fuel system.
Not being a douche oz, but trying to help the poor fellow get correct information.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
* intake system, not fuel system.
Not being a douche oz, but trying to help the poor fellow get correct information.
Yeah, I know, I was just too lazy to correct it after I thought about it. Correct - fuel intake system - be it carburetor or FI.

gantt - never though that you were being a douche - I'm always happy to be corrected on matters of fact.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
So the air filter should be the first thing I take a look at? Anything else I should check?
Empty your tank and start with a fresh load....that is only if you think that there might be water in the tank. Once again - I'm fairly new with the 650 and have not experienced what you have.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
That would be my first guess, either he just filled up and got poor fuel from a filling station, or he was nearing the end of the tank and had water in his fuel but since water does not mix well with fuel all the water was at the end (on top of) the fuel.

That or you have something that is causing an air leak. A hose has come off, or the TB's are not fully seated in the rubber boots...etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright so i had the day off and decided to take a crack at fixing Nicoletta again, i did the IAP mod thinking it could help smooth out the engine surging. But no luck. This video was shot right after i did the mod. And it seems to run pretty much the same as before, although now it seems to afterfire even more, and i can see flames on every afterfire.

Anyways, here's the video. Maybe someone can help me better based on the video
https://youtu.be/NSJV0tFPK58

Just a note, the first time the bike died, it was simply idling on its own and it died on its own. Once i restarted the engine, i added throttle, and it died on its own after i released the throttle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pull the plug and look at it.
I already replaced both spark plugs, the originals looked fine and had correct gap. But i already had them out and new ones were cheap so i replaced them. But they werent causing the problem.

Any other thoughts as to what it could be?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I already replaced both spark plugs, the originals looked fine and had correct gap. But i already had them out and new ones were cheap so i replaced them. But they werent causing the problem.

Any other thoughts as to what it could be?
I did not think the plugs where the problem, but checking if they had signs of other things. YOU answered that, Im going to listen to your vid again. Ive seen them act like that with bad fuel/dirty injectors or straight up crabs. This may be off also, did you check the coils? Things wll act up if they have a small split, once heated up they can actually leak the spark. I doubt the ECU is messed up, its not very common for those to go out anymore.

I know i heard your fuel pump, but they can cause weird things to happen also. Under load and heat, the bushing could be warn enough for the armature to drag causing the pump to deliver fuel inadequately.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The spark plug for cylinder #2 had a slight browning to the insulated part of it. Ill try and find it in my garage and take a picture of it. And its not bad gas because i drained the tank and refilled it with new gas after the problem started and the engine is still having the same problem.

I looked at the coils when i was taking them out, but i dont know of any signs to look for a bad coil. Any way for me to test the coil?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah if you can get hold of a spec sheet you can use a multimeter to check the resistance of the coils.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright so after 6 weeks of troubleshooting the problem I've finally got the solution to fix the problem of engine surging. And I hope that I can help anyone else who ever gets this problem.
So first, you feel the engine randomly start surging while on a nice sunny day. And you get stranded on the middle of a highway, you barely manage to limp the poor thing off on the first exit you can. Then she miraculously is fine n' dandy after you've already come to a crisp boil pushing your beloved off the highway. You quickly get her home and shut her down and grab some chicken breast and brown rice after that mighty workout you just had pushing your fatass girlfriend Nicoletta off the longest stretch of exit-less highway in all the land. Then after she's cooled down a bit, you decide to start her back up hoping that weird surging was just a one time fluke. NOPE!! The engine surging and afterfire seems worse than before. Looks like it's Googling time. You jump on your old friend who helped save your *** all those countless times before. Helping you with homework, giving you copy and paste essays at 5am right before that papers due, answering all those weird random questions we all have like "how many minutes old am I" "what's size pens do girls like" and of course, "cats doing funny stuff". So you start searching keywords describing your problem, "650r engine surge" "650r running rough" "how to increase your pen size by 3inches". You get quite a few results, you start reading through countless pages of forums. So you decide to try the easiest solutions first. So you adjust the idle speed. Problem still there. You then decide to embark on every motorcyclist big repair job, figure out how to get to all the important engine stuff by removing that bigass gas tank in the way. You find a couple of videos and step by step guides on how to remove it, you gather up all the tools you need, reread the instructions, and get down to it, it takes you nearly an hour, but you've succeeded. You finally get to the air filter and although it's in decent condition, you go ahead and give it a good cleaning since it can't hurt. Then you spend another half hour putting itall back together and pray that your amazing mechanical skills of cleaning an air filter solved the problem. It doesn't. So back to Google and the forums. You read some more stuff and decide that the spark plugs are your culprit. people online swear that it'll solve your problem. Back to taking off the tank, and now ripping off your airbox too this time. You get the spark plugs out, they look in good condition, color is right, gap is dead in between the recommended range. But you decide to go ahead and replace them anyway since they're cheap and it won't hurt. You throw all the parts back together and rub your balls on your tank and say a quick prayer before you turn that key. Engine surge problem still there. Back to the forums. Some say throttle cable has to be causing the problem. So you take a look and play around jiggling the cables and they seem to working just fine. At this point it's been over a month now without having ridden your beloved Nicoletta and you've become angry and closed off from other people. You begin taking your frustration out on your friends and loved ones. Work keeps holding you back from spending your time finding a solution to the problem. So you just become more frustrated. You read a couple forums about the amazing results of the IAP mod, and you're lifted with this new found sense of hope, you run out to homedepot 10mins before it closes and buy some hose and 3way connectors, you do the mod, put airbox and gas tank back on with anxious excitement that this might actually just work and solve all the problems in the world. No luck. Then someone on the forums says it's gotta be your coils. At this point you've become so desperate, any possible solution you hear online seems like a good idea. You take apart your bike for what seems like the 100th time now, its all muscle memory now, only taking three minutes to get to the coils, you open your service manual desperately searching for how to test coils, you grab your voltmeter and fiercely stab the positive and negative probes in. Your coils are in perfect range. They're not your problem. You've ran out of ideas to try. There's no more Google searches left to search. No more forum posts left to try. No more service manual pages left to read. You come to a dark realization of what it truly means to have loved and lost someone you cared for with all your heart. You begin to withdraw from reality, you think back to all the good times you had together, and pray that you could of had just one more. You begin to warily put her all back together one last time. You decide you want to hear her sing one last time for you, even if she sounds like an old cheap hooker on her last straw. You slowly place the key in the ignition, trying to savor every last moment you have together with her. You turn the key into the second position and watch the dash light as if it were the first time, remembering how sweet your first ride together was. You wipe away the tear streaking down your cheek, already knowing what dark fate lies ahead for your beloved Nicoletta.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
The suspense is killing me. Good story so far though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts