RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 650 out for the first time since my motard wasn't in tip-top shape to ride in time for the TD. I rode with Fastline MC org at Grandsport Speedway in Hitchcock, Texas. I had an awesome time with it throughout the day.

The single-compound Pilot Powers surpassed my expectations after a few warm up laps. Cheap tires too so I was happy with my initial purchase being for the street. It's no Pirelli Supercorsa though that my motard has mounted. :D

Anyways, here's 2 pics.

And vids: (I'm no where near fast)

Equipped with the Contour GPS here's a few vids on Contour's Storyteller site:

http://contour.com/stories/gss-track-day
http://contour.com/stories/sifu-at-grandsport-speedway-drz400sm

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cool vids, looks like fun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Definitely get to the track if you have the funds and the opportunity! It's such a blast, and I hear Road Atlanta's supposed to be one of the better courses out there. I grew up in Atlanta, but never got a chance to get out to that track. Now that I have the bike, it's just one more reason for me to go and visit family hahaha.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Awesome! Never taken a bike to a track. I wouldn't have a clue how to handle a bike like a track guy does!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well your first couple times out, you'll definitely want to attend a track day that has some type of instructor riders, so that they can be there to show you the ropes. It takes alot of time to even start dragging a knee through corners, which the pros do effortlessly. It's definitely a completely different style of riding, and like everything else takes time to become proficient in, but MAN is it a good time! I always recommend people to the track - not only is it great entertainment, it also teaches you skills about how to handle your bike, and that will ultimately transfer over to the street and make you a better, safer rider.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Lol, I don't need another hobby! I have purposely stayed away from the track as I know I could get addicted fast and cash is tight. I do like watching other's videos though, and completely understand how proficient track riders are safer on the street and more skillful than I am.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Road Atlanta is recognized as one of the top road courses in the world. I used to go to the AMA Superbike Showdown every year but for some reason AMA decided not to do it this year. I'm super pissed off about it too. I wrote letters of complaint which were never addressed. It has me seriously considering dropping my membership.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice vid. I would love to do some track riding but I need to find one up by me. When I googled I could only find Esta which is a dragstrip. Anyone know of any courses to ride at in Upstate NY?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Monticello opened up their track to bikes last year for the first time, but decided not to do it again this year. There is NJMP down in south nj which has tons of open track days to pick from but depending where you are in NY might be a 3-4 hour drive down. Will have to trailer your bike. But if you go to tonys track days website they have tons of people who leave from there or even further north who you could meet up with and split gas money as they trailer your bike down.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Navijib,

Where did you mount the camera? I have a Contour HD and stuck the camera to the side of the fairing, but it looks like yours is higher.

Also, how did you eliminate wind noise?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice. I so wanna do a track day, one day. Still need leathers and boots. Closes track is 2 hours. One day....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice, the bike really screams at that speed.

There's a track 30 mins away. I already have plans for a track day and the Lee Parks total control. Track days are $300 a piece + a track bike. So no obsessive track days for me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know an instructor at our local track, I think he may have me talked into taking a course, which is a couple hours of instruction then rest of the day on the track. $150 for the day per person.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Navijib,

Where did you mount the camera? I have a Contour HD and stuck the camera to the side of the fairing, but it looks like yours is higher.

Also, how did you eliminate wind noise?
I mounted it on a ram mount that was bolted to the top triple tree where the handlebar mount is supposed to go. Pic incoming.

Also, for wind noise-- nothing really other then I customized the mic to a lower setting. I'm surprised wind noise was minimal.

Fastline MC is only $115 for lightweights at GSS. Absolutely affordable. Plus, you can cornerwork for a TD credit. An absolutely great organization if I must say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts