RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does this change the character of the bike? I am in the process of trying to buy a Z1000 and tomorrow I'm looking at a bike that has all the 636 parts (front forks/brakes/clip-ons and rear shock). This guy won't let me do a test ride (don't blame him) so the only Z1000 I've ridden was bone stock. I'm trying to figure out how much of a difference the ZX parts make on the bike. My concern is mainly I don't want to be leaned over as much as a ZX-6R (my last bike was an '02 ZX-6R) as part of the reason for the Z1000 is it's more comfortable to ride than a standard sportbike.

Also, how much does it improve the handling? Is there anything specific I should look at to make sure he didn't cut corners or anything? The rest of the bike is stock, just has the suspension work done. 15k miles and he's asking $3,600. Much better than the last one that wanted $4800 for an '03 (it did only have 4,500 miles but that still seems steep).

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The forks would be an upgrade to the stock suspension and they are more adjustable. Unless he mounted clip-ons to the tubes or changed to a lower handlebar the riding position should be the same. I have the stock suspension, so I couldn't tell you what to look for on the swap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's definitely a further reach, but fortunately the guy still has the stock bar so I'll be able to play with it.

I'm picking the bike up tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the only concern would be the history of the suspension. More often than not buying 636 forks from ebay or the like holds a great chance that they were previously on crashed bikes.

I ended up tracking down my 636 forks to a member on this forum. I feel much better about them now.

Oh and I forgot to mention that you maybe need to move the forks a few mm up or down (unless they were installed correctly). I had to move the forks 5 mm higher and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll ask him tomorrow about where he got the forks from. He seemed like a pretty straight guy, had several nice bikes in his garage. He did have to notch the fairing around the headlight to fit the forks, he pointed it out (I probably wouldn't have noticed). I just asked him if he'd take $3500 (was asking $3600) and he agreed. The bike hasn't even been ridden this year, has cobwebs on it. I'll have to give it a nice once over once I get it home and get some pics.

I will have to play with the suspension a bit once I get it. If there's a good thread on setting up the 636 suspension I'd appreciate a link (I've done a little searching and have only found a little stuff here and there).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you don't want such a leaned forward riding position, you'll probably want to put the stock bars back on, either that or get some aftermarket bars - a lot of guys on here like the Renthal Ultralows, which are a bit lower than stock but not as low as clip-ons.

If you do put stock or similar bars back on, you might need longer brake lines (depending on what length lines he used when he installed the forks - you might want to ask him), since the 636 forks are a bit longer than the stock Z forks, and the radial mount calipers are also a bit lower. Lots of threads with info on this and most people on here are quick to answer any questions you might have.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't want such a leaned forward riding position, you'll probably want to put the stock bars back on, either that or get some aftermarket bars - a lot of guys on here like the Renthal Ultralows, which are a bit lower than stock but not as low as clip-ons.

If you do put stock or similar bars back on, you might need longer brake lines (depending on what length lines he used when he installed the forks - you might want to ask him), since the 636 forks are a bit longer than the stock Z forks, and the radial mount calipers are also a bit lower. Lots of threads with info on this and most people on here are quick to answer any questions you might have.
Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely be using the search feature a bunch. I'm about halfway through the picture threads (both of them) and gathering idea's for what I want to do to the bike. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.