RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 636 front fender on and thought that I’d do a little write up on how I installed it on stock Z1000 forks if anybody was ever thinking of doing this mod.

The reason why I installed it was simply for looks and because it would go with the ti. and black on the bike. To me the 636 fender’s just look a little more sporty than the stock fender and give the bike a racier look I guess. I would have done it earlier, but I’ve been looking for months and haven’t been able to find one in decent shape! Seems most all of them are either scuffed up or cracked, side panels and table missing tabs etc etc and the one’s that are in good shape were going for a ridiculous amount. I’m sure that they were all off wrecked bikes that were trashed. Finally found one that was in pretty good shape and bought it off Ebay. The one that I bought was off an ’06.

I’ve done some research and found a few topics where people had asked before if it was possible to mount a 636 fender on the stock forks of a Z1k, but everyone said no. I was still determined and knew I could make or get some small brackets and do a little modification where needed.

Anyway, as you can see in one of the pictures below that the mounting holes are actually spaced pretty much the same distance a part as the stock fender, only the 636 fender mounts a lot lower. I used a couple of very small rectangular brackets with drilled holes to mount the lower portion of the fender. The bracket on each side is hidden behind the sidecovers, so you could never see it. The bracket is held on with a screw that is attached to the stock threaded hole on the fork, all hidden behind the cover. This allows you to then just put a screw through the side of the cover going through the bracket with a washer and nut on the end to secure it.

I originally was going to do the same thing and use another small bracket for the upper mounting hole on each side (which will still work perfectly fine to mount it this way), but when I installed it like that, I just didn’t like the way it fit or looked from the inside even though you cannot see it from the outside. I just wasn’t pleased with it that way. So, I drilled a small hole through the mounting bracket on the fork and then put a long screw with washer and locknut of course all the way through. Simple as that and it looks factory from the outside as it’s all hidden inside. It is just as sturdy and snug as it is stock. The fender also has the mounting the holes for brake line clips in the very same locations as the stock fender does, or at least they do on this ’06 fender, so no need for any modification there.

Also, I needed to make a hole on each side of the fender for the mounting brackets on the forks to slide through so that the fender could go all the way on. See below about what I mean. Without making these holes, the fender would sit very high above the tire.

Fender's side by side for comparison.

Mounting hole comparison.

Shined up and painted side covers.

Knotch cut out on each side so the bracket on the forks can slide through it. (No, the cut isn't perfect, I dremeled it down after the pic)

Screw going through the drilled hole in the bracket for the upper mounting hole.

Don't forget stainless hardware so it doesn't rust.

Installed

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Nice mod... Off topic: What building is that behind your bike?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks really good, you're right it is sportier. And nice write-up!

:righton:
Thanks!

Nice mod... Off topic: What building is that behind your bike?
Just a local office park near by where I live. I took a few photos of it infront of one of Google's headquarters where their colorful sign was all lit up that looked cool in the dark, but since it was getting night time, the pics came out blurry. Maybe I'll try it again in the day time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts