RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I went on an awesome 600 mile ride. Problem is I was getting some major discomfort. Legs going numb and pain in the sit bones. Now I know most people on here say the Corbin seat can help with comfort, but would it help in a situation like this? The numbness I had makes me think that the overall riding position isn't right, which then leads me to think that another bike entirely would be more appropriate for a longer ride like this.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Legs going numb? Hmmm, I've owned many different style bikes and haven't had that problem. Remind yourself to move around! A Corbin is $$$, Karla sent her ZR7 seat to Spencer. www.greatdaytoride.com We just got back last week from an 11 day 5,000 mike trip and she said it was a big improvement. She feels no need for a Corbin now. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I've heard good things about Spencer ...hard to beat a custom seat. :)

I've had good results with the Airhawk products. Had one on my bike during the 2300 mile trip from NYC to Tennessee (and back) for ROTR 11. It doesn't win any style points(!) but it is effective. It comes with straps to attach on top of your seat but I dispensed with the straps and simply attached the Airhawk using a couple of velcro strips.

http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Medium-Cruiser-Pad-AH2MED/dp/B0041CG336/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2

I'm assuming you are travelling on highways and interstates on the longer trips?

I find the zr-7s to be a VERY GOOD highway bike. There's a zero gravity double bubble screen on mine. Hard to imagine that a small screen like that can actually make a big difference. The air simply flows over my helmet at around 80-90 mph on the interstate. The bike also has virtually no vibration at that speed. Also, with the extra weight (525 lb) that the zr has, tractor trailer dirty air doesn't really bother it as much as a lighter bike (I make it a point not to stay behind the tractor trailers for long...) Oh, also, if you take breaks every few hundred miles, it should help with blood circulation.

As with anything, riding longer distances becomes easier with practice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard good things about Spencer ...hard to beat a custom seat. :)

I've had good results with the Airhawk products. Had one on my bike during the 2300 mile trip from NYC to Tennessee (and back) for ROTR 11. It doesn't win any style points(!) but it is effective. It comes with straps to attach on top of your seat but I dispensed with the straps and simply attached the Airhawk using a couple of velcro strips.

Amazon.com: Airhawk Medium Cruiser Pad - 14in x 14in , Size: Md AH2MED: Automotive

I'm assuming you are travelling on highways and interstates on the longer trips?

I find the zr-7s to be a VERY GOOD highway bike. There's a zero gravity double bubble screen on mine. Hard to imagine that a small screen like that can actually make a big difference. The air simply flows over my helmet at around 80-90 mph on the interstate. The bike also has virtually no vibration at that speed. Also, with the extra weight (525 lb) that the zr has, tractor trailer dirty air doesn't really bother it as much as a lighter bike (I make it a point not to stay behind the tractor trailers for long...) Oh, also, if you take breaks every few hundred miles, it should help with blood circulation.

As with anything, riding longer distances becomes easier with practice.
Some highway, but actually the majority was back country roads. Still in the 60-90 mph range though.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
the corbin helps a lil but..it doesnt fix it..i run 250 mile runs to victoria (4-4.5 hours)and ill say that my problem is lack of cuhsion on my actual body ie no butt...so i dont blame the seat so much..but my honda xl600r i can ride all day long with its stock seat..so seating position is more than contriibuting to this

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the corbin helps a lil but..it doesnt fix it..i run 250 mile runs to victoria (4-4.5 hours)and ill say that my problem is lack of cuhsion on my actual body ie no butt...so i dont blame the seat so much..but my honda xl600r i can ride all day long with its stock seat..so seating position is more than contriibuting to this
Unfortunately that seems to be where I am coming to as well. I will have to see what I can do to modify the seating position, but based upon the age of this bike I don't really want to sink a ton of money into modifying the seat height, pegs, etc.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi, i have had some real discomfort as well.
No numbness, but "diaper-rash" in the (sorry for this...) area where you "glutes-maximus" changes to the upper leg (no better way of explaining that...)
What helped (after long experiments with different undergarments) was:
Long thermounderwear and at the start of each ride.. a firm dash of Talc powder ...
This keeps the skin dry, the main problem for me was the "moist"( sweat )that damaged the skin and presto: rash...
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The area you are referring to is called the "sit bones". You can feel the most pronounced when you ride a bicycle for example. My issue isn't "swamp ***" though as yours seems to be. Mine almost is like I have nerve or blood flow agitation from pressure on my sit bones

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I believe the Airhawk cushion was developed for use in hospitals, initially.
For long term disabled patients who were bedridden and could not move freely....they helped to prevent bedsores and poor circulation. It was then adapted for use in motorcycles and also automobiles. In many ways, sitting on a bike for many hours have the same effect on our bodies as being non-mobile and bedridden.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Corbin moves you back and down. Not always a great thing. At least wasnt for me. I upgraded the foam in my stock seat (Sargent did the work) and it was better. My butt still hurt after a few hours and then I put more weight on my feet which hurt my knees. Not everyone is meant to be a long distance rider.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
see thats the thing tho its not so much butthurt as its numb and tingles ive damn neer had my feet asleep.....i stretch out where i can on the hwy and shift myself around...best thing i can say is when you stop for fuel stretch out for atleast 15 mins..makes a world of differance...i useualy dont have that luxury as im flyin to make sure i dont miss the only ferry across to bc

your right on the airhawk or atleast its based of medical stuff...ive been dealing with similar designs due to my dissabled mother since 88

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am happy with the seat and the riding position. I too get pain in my sit bones after about an hour and a half of riding. I guessing this is more due to lack of position altering and adding cushioning wouldn't make much difference in the case. I am interested in this airhawk stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do a seach for a product called Backjoy. Within the last few days I read a thread similar to yours and several people came back and said that using a Backjoy with the stock seat helped immensely. This was for a sport bike. I'd never heard of Backjoy until I read that thread. It adjusts the sitting position of your hips, tailbone, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts