RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
'Twas a beautiful ride! 'cept it was 40 degrees and I'm still nervous on the street. My problems include trying to smooth out throttle/clutch engagement, not being able to use my mirrors 'cause elbows in the way, and I can't find a jacket with "GET OFF MY *** - I'M STILL LEARNING" printed on the back.

Questions: Anyone else have mirror issues? Opinions on he "crampbuster" throttle paddles? (maybe I'm arthritic, but 10 miles and hands were sore from throttle/brake hand position and holding on for dear life/clutch use with left hand)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
can't find a jacket with "GET OFF MY *** - I'M STILL LEARNING" printed on the back.
Now that's funny.......maybe you can find a "Student Driver" sign and affix it to your rear fender.

Ok, back to the "thread that's been jacked"........

I was an MSF Rider Coach for 2 years (let the cert. lapse....lots of inter-service politics involved...that's another story). Anyway, whenever I had experienced riders saying, "I'm just here because I have to, I won't learn anything....yada-yada." I'd guarantee them that they would learn something useful. Didn't have any disappointments. Just go in with an open mind. Is it a "cure-all"....nope, but it's a very good start and gives new riders a basis to build on.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Questions: Anyone else have mirror issues? Opinions on he "crampbuster" throttle paddles? (maybe I'm arthritic, but 10 miles and hands were sore from throttle/brake hand position and holding on for dear life/clutch use with left hand)
Ok, mirrrors are usually an issue. There are a few different "mirror extenders" that move them out so you aren't seeing just your elbows and shoulders.

Cramp busters, throttle rockers, etc. I would wait until you get some more seat time. They do work great and I used one on my ZR-7...still have it in the garage.... but the problem is, with new riders, if you get in a "panic" situation and try to release the throttle it may not happen because you can't just loosen up on the throttle and let it snap closed. You either have to roll your wrist forward or totally let go. And, since you are a new rider I'm thinking that you probably are holding on a bit tighter than you need to. Loosen up a bit and you won't get near the aches and pains you are now suffereing. Grip the bars enough to get the job done. You'll be suprised on just how light of a touch it takes and still have control.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,137 Posts
Like Martin said, go in with an open mind and you will learn something.

shootr, some tips for your sore hands.
1. Relax, dont have a death grip on the grips.
2. Adjust the controls so your hands are in a more natural position. You may have to turn the handlebars in the clamps because the controls probably have locator pins that wont allow them to be repositioned on the bars.
there are other less recommended ways to adjust the controls too...
3. Support yourself with your stomach muscles instead on leaning so much on your arms.

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Blackdog said:
and Tom :rant
Money won't count when your dead.
:wtf:
Your family might disagree with that. If you have no life insurance beneficiaries, then you'd be correct. ;)

Funerals ain't cheap my friend.... :(

B

·
0 Posts
Martin64 said:
Ok, back to the "thread that's been jacked"........

I was an MSF Rider Coach for 2 years (let the cert. lapse....lots of inter-service politics involved...
You mean No one liked you!!
or was it that wonderfully condescending attitude you personify?

I don't think riders should learn in the street!!
:AR15firin
Oh and TOM I know very well the cost of funerals.
Especially after I paid for my little brothers you @$$
and my only "beneficiary" who's 19 he rides too.

If you want to rave on about money.. I don't. :flamethro

:deadhorse

Nice link rich_earth :angel:
thats something every rider should read..

50 ways to save your life

·
9,816 Posts
Blackdog said:
Oh and TOM I know very well the cost of funerals.
Especially after I paid for my little brothers you @$$
and my only "beneficiary" who's 19 he rides too.

If you want to rave on about money.. I don't. :flamethro

:deadhorse

Nice link rich_earth :angel:
thats something every rider should read..

50 ways to save your life

I paid to have my 21 year old son buried in 1999. I won't respond to any more of your posts...and I won't call you any names, but I'll add this: Grow up, get rid of the attitude, etc.

B

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son!

I don't care if you reply or not! :eek:
and its you who seem to have an attitude! :poke:

·
9,816 Posts
shootr said:
That's right, my first bike, a shiny new 2007 650R to learn on. In a parking lot getting used to things and lost grip on the clutch, nailed the throttle, and right into a low wall.

Ruined rim, left peg broke off, handlebars bent, tank dented and plastic scratched up. Now they think the front might be bent also.

I'll get it fixed ('cept the tank and plastic, will learn to ride before getting them fixed!) because it was a great 6 miles!!!

Someone tell me things will get better!

Had to share my misery though...
Hey Shootr, sorry your thread went South. Tom

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You mean No one liked you!!
Are you gonna take your ball and go home?

Hey shootr, we'll get your thread cleaned up and reopen it for you.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.