RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, my first bike, a shiny new 2007 650R to learn on. In a parking lot getting used to things and lost grip on the clutch, nailed the throttle, and right into a low wall.

Ruined rim, left peg broke off, handlebars bent, tank dented and plastic scratched up. Now they think the front might be bent also.

I'll get it fixed ('cept the tank and plastic, will learn to ride before getting them fixed!) because it was a great 6 miles!!!

Someone tell me things will get better!

Had to share my misery though...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have you taken the MSF class? If not...take it and things will get better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
amad said:
Have you taken the MSF class? If not...take it and things will get better.

I second the MSF class. I bought the 650R and it literally sat in my garage for 3 weeks. I told myself I wasn't going to ride it till I finished the MSF class. I had never riden a bike before my MSF class. I figured if I am going to drop a bike learning how to ride, better it be a cheap bike from a MSF class versus my expensive brand new bike. I never did drop it in the class, but no doubt I would have if I would have started off with my bike before having this class. The class I took has us training on 125cc bikes so they were easy to learn on. Ie they didn't take off fast, they were easy to shift, heck you could completely let the clutch out in 1st gear without even touching the gas and it wouldn't die. They were very forgiving bikes! I am so glad I went through it and easily worth the $235 I paid for it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I dropped mine in the driveway sitting still when my hand slipped off the clutch. I had never been on a motorcycle before buying my brand new 07 650r, but I just picked it up and kept going. I did get my license, and will take the MSF class next spring because it was full with no openings this last bit of the year. Luckly I only scratched the fairing the size of a quarter, but I knew I would probaly do it so it did not bother me as much. I guess I feel every time I look at the scratches I remember what not to do.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
This maybe a little late now, but the Kawi dealer I bought my bike from had some old 125cc out back that they would let you tear around on and learn as long as you bought a bike from them. My buddies that bought bikes there did use the 125, I on the other hand was much too impatient and just took the new 650R home with no experience and started riding. Yes, I ran my crotch into the tank on more than one occasion, had a run in with a very violent pack of foaming, frothing, blood thirsty weiner dogs and tried to kill myself, but like someone else said, it gets better! Remember, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
forgot this....one of my much more experienced rider friends, turned the choke or throttle up on the bike as so it wil not die on a level surface when you let the clutch out without giving it gas. I do not kow if it is a good for the bike or safe, but it helped me and if anyone else here can lend some advice, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Too bad we don't have chokes.

You could adjust the idle adjustment screw to raise your idle? But that doesn't sound like it would really accomplish anything useful... the best way to learn to go is just to teach someone not to fear the throttle and to know that the clutch distributes power. I taught my ex to get moving better by having her hold the throttle open so the rpms were steady at 5,000, then to slowly inch out the clutch to the friction zone, so that she understood that no matter what the throttle was doing, the CLUTCH was ultimately what decided when and how fast you took off... that helped her a lot.

jsmith6 said:
forgot this....one of my much more experienced rider friends, turned the choke or throttle up on the bike as so it wil not die on a level surface when you let the clutch out without giving it gas. I do not kow if it is a good for the bike or safe, but it helped me and if anyone else here can lend some advice, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's going to happen. Be thankful that your first wasn't your last like it is for so many. The bike can be replaced. You, however, cannot.

I strongly agree with the others about the MSF class. It's a good opportunity to learn as well as meet other riders, first timers and old timers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I trade off my SV650 in 2003 for a Z1000. I guy that bought the SV from the shop said he knew how to ride. So after he signed the paper work for it, the shop rolled it out front. He revved it up and let the clutch out, bike shot up and took off straight into a 6" curb. The shop owner he looked like PeeWee Herman holding on for dear life. :killingme

Broke the front wheel, bent the forks into the radiator, killed the tank. $1500 damage out the door!! :killingme

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
so yeah, I did the dumb today. Pulled into a parking spot, thought I had the kickstand all the way down, apparently didn't. I hop off the left side, and luckily had my left hand on the handlebars still because the bike comes down almost on me. I kept my hand on the handlebar and got the right one under the tank/seat and caught it, but scraped the rearview mirror a little though. Could have been a lot worse, but as I said I got lucky. I guess it's just a warning that no matter how good you think you have gotten there is always a noobie inside you somewhere!

:stooges: :smashfrea

·
Registered
292 Posts
at least u understood the fact that u were inexperienced and were doing a smart thing by practicing in a parking lot, and not on the road with the cages. i think the outcome would have most likely not been as good had u been mixin it up with cages.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Z fan. While it wasn't smart to start on a brand new bike, it is extremely smart to have been in a parking lot. You could have been riding around in a neighborhood or road with a lot of catastrophic crash possibilities.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've taken a course up here in Canada similar to the MSF. Still, I worry about this when I go and pick up my bike in February after the snow is (hopefully) gone. I'll have to get frame sliders and bar protectors so that I don't have to worry about getting more than a few scratches.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Compstall said:
Dude, why didn't you buy something cheap first? :slap:
exactly my thought. First bike + shiny new = not a good idea.

Always get something used to start out on. That way it's not so upsetting when you put a ding into it, fall over etc. etc.

I strongly suggest taking the MSF class ASAP.

But to answer your question: Yes, it does get better! :agree:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everybody - thanks for all the words of encouragement. You all know the answers to most questions (wanted new shiny, too dumb to think of trying old ugly, etc.) Got her back yesterday and even though it's in the forty's, will go for a little ride tommorow. Wish me luck!!!

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with getting a new bike to learn on. And it's probably just as expensive to crash an older bike as it is a new bike.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Shootr, Good Luck and be safe. KDOG...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.