RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the 470 ohm fuel gauge modification and thought I'd share my readings.
I'm measuring this in US gallons (which is less than an imperial gallon) and quarts (4 quarts to the gallon).
I did NOT have the bike on the center stand, instead I strapped it upright and sat on the bike to take the pictures. I was trying to duplicate actual riding conditions when viewing the gas gauge.

Hopefully the pics will come out starting with "T" which is topped off at 5.8 gallons and ends at "E" which is a 'bone dry' tank having just rebuilt my petcock.

I started filling with 1 quart to check that there were no leaks from the petcock and I can testify that when set on 'PRIME', the petcock WILL flow fuel with only 1 quart of gas in the tank.

I measured by quarts all the way up through 2 gallons because of the way the gauge was reading at low levels of fuel, which is what really matters. So, the first 2 gallons are in quarts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reactions: Zed7

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once it touches the red line above E you still have 1.75 gallons. No range anxiety.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Once it touches the red line above E you still have 1.75 gallons. No range anxiety.
That’s great to know. I carry an extra 2L of fuel when touring as a just in case after hitting E in the western US and finding myself 50 miles from the next station. Never ran out but it was nerve racking. Great to be able to quantify what I have left in the tank. These bikes get surprisingly good mileage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never tested any bike I have owned that had a gas gauge. I just learned it by fill ups.
The next time I empty my ZRX tank I'll do the same. It is good to know, especially when the needle dips towards "E".
Jatra, of course you will still have to carry that extra 2L fuel with you because the first time you don't take it you just know what'll happen. LOL.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
That's the advantage of the zr7(s)... the reserve option on the fuel tap. So unless you drive around on reserve you will always have some fuel left if you run out on main. Now as for do you have enough to get you to the next gas station, that depends on how far the station is. lol.

You could be carrying an extra 2L and it still not be enough if you are out the middle of nowhere or the closer stations are closed.

If you carry a bit of clear tubing worst case you can siphon from someone. It might be a car/truck or a buddy's motorcycle.
If you don't have a jigger unit for the tubing then also carry some chewing gum. (to get the possible gas taste out of your mouth..)

Reactions: Zed7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts