RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always put the 3M reflective on my bikes and added it to the 14 bags in the down time waiting for additional parts to mount them to the bike.

I have NO IDEA why they look like they reflect a yellowish color in the pic - must be my camera flash and overcast sky not playing well. They reflect white in person. (yea, I got a little larger gap in the pieces on the LH bag :doh )

If anyone wants the backing paper off the pieces I made to use as a template, let me know and I'll drop them in the mail to ya.

This is about the best deal I've found on the material - 3/4 down the page, two Plain 8" by 12" Sheets of Black
Reflective 3M self adhesive material

Reflective BMW Saddle bag and motorcycle decals

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry but that just gives someone in a car something to target fixate on. I have friends that use clothing and reflectors so that they stand out but in reality they are avoiding more people that I am out on the road. I never have problems trying to avoid people without all the reflective gear.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Sorry but that just gives someone in a car something to target fixate on. I have friends that use clothing and reflectors so that they stand out but in reality they are avoiding more people that I am out on the road. I never have problems trying to avoid people without all the reflective gear.
So when you are on the road, you don't notice the police car or railroad work truck sooner than the '65 pickup with red tape over the one taillight that is still partly functional?

Even as a rider, I see some bikes with one little taillight on a dark road and have a hard time judging how far ahead of me it is because there is nothing else visible on the black bike with black clad rider.

I guess road workers should stop wearing the high viz vests, jackets, etc since they serve no purpose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So when you are on the road, you don't notice the police car or railroad work truck sooner than the '65 pickup with red tape over the one taillight that is still partly functional?

Even as a rider, I see some bikes with one little taillight on a dark road and have a hard time judging how far ahead of me it is because there is nothing else visible on the black bike with black clad rider.

I guess road workers should stop wearing the high viz vests, jackets, etc since they serve no purpose.
Not what I am saying at all, when that stuff is on a bike for some reason people tend to focus in on it and I have no idea why people do it to bikes. Actually cops get hit all the time parked on the side of the hwy because people focus in on the bright lights. I have some friends that are cops and they same the same thing, the less people see the better most of the time.

If you can't judge how far ahead I am then don't worry about it because I have already seen you and I am taking steps to avoid you.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Not what I am saying at all, when that stuff is on a bike for some reason people tend to focus in on it and I have no idea why people do it to bikes. Actually cops get hit all the time parked on the side of the hwy because people focus in on the bright lights. I have some friends that are cops and they same the same thing, the less people see the better most of the time.

If you can't judge how far ahead I am then don't worry about it because I have already seen you and I am taking steps to avoid you.
Believe me, I ain't parked when I am on my bike. I still ride like I am invisible, but do everything I can to make myself more visible when riding in low light or crowded situations.

I understand what you are saying, but don't agree with the logic that you are better off being invisible to the drivers than visible. At least the ones paying attention will see you.

Reactions: shreveportSS

·
Registered
966 Posts
Believe me, I ain't parked when I am on my bike. I still ride like I am invisible, but do everything I can to make myself more visible when riding in low light or crowded situations.

I understand what you are saying, but don't agree with the logic that you are better off being invisible to the drivers than visible. At least the ones paying attention will see you.
I agree. A single taillight does not provide the reference points for most drivers to judge distance at night. Reflective material adds that 3rd dimension. This may also be the reason for tailgating at night as they can tell exactly how far away you are.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
There are studies out there that show the high vis gear does not help as much as we hope it would. Its how our eyes work. We are built to see motion more thna color. A vehicle coming directly towards you is not "motion" in the same way as side to side.....It said it wont really hurt, but does nto help near as much as we think it might. Good info here...https://backyardbrains.com/experiments/eye

As I age, my eyes get worse at night. I can pass any eye test. Usually better than 20/20, but if you tested me at night...lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have ever ridden with others running reflective material on their gear or bike at night, you know that you can see them MUCH farther away than a bike/rider without. Not to mention riding in a pouring rain storm on the slab. You know, the kind where it's raining so hard that cars are pulling over and you can barely see the tail lights of the car in front of you. Give me reflective material EVERY time in that situation....I STILL don't understand why most rain gear is black or dark colors :rant It's easier to find now, but a few years ago it was nearly impossible to find *packable* rain gear in bright colors and reflective material.

At any rate, to each their own and that's why we have choices. I run reflective material on all my bikes and I like it. If someone else don't, that's cool too, that's their right.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I dont understand most about motorcycle gear, really. Who makes a hot weather jacket THEN colors it black? Really? A nice light gray, blue, pink...anything is better. Brown would be better....

Anyway, for visibility. Yes, reflective material will get you seen easier, but they are learning that was never the problem. If seeing was all it took, police cars, with lights flashing, would not get hit by the side of the road. Construction workers, orange barrels, etc..plenty of visibility, yet they get hit all the time.

I think we see too much of it for it to register as important. I remember seeing a school zone, in Orange/Yellow for the first time. I remembered THAT. Now, I have one in my neighborhood. I cant tell you, without looking, where it starts and where it ends.

When approaching an intersection, you'll get seen easier switching from the left portion of the lane to the right...just a few feet of sideways movement vs staying put in the center. Try it, and you'll see the person turning left making eye contact with you as you start the sideways movement.

I believe doing things like that, and adding the reflective stuff actually helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems like we are confusing or mixing day-glo or Hi-viz colors / material with reflective material.

Hi-viz - safety or day-glo orange, yellow are to stand out in daylight.

Reflective - is to be seen better at distance in the dark.

I run the reflective material to be easier seen, farther away at night or under very low visibility conditions such as fog or heavy rain storm. Under these conditions, the reflective material absolutely works.

I will take some pics tonight at a measured distance and post as an example.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I dont understand most about motorcycle gear, really. Who makes a hot weather jacket THEN colors it black? Really? A nice light gray, blue, pink...anything is better. Brown would be better....

Anyway, for visibility. Yes, reflective material will get you seen easier, but they are learning that was never the problem. If seeing was all it took, police cars, with lights flashing, would not get hit by the side of the road. Construction workers, orange barrels, etc..plenty of visibility, yet they get hit all the time.

I think we see too much of it for it to register as important. I remember seeing a school zone, in Orange/Yellow for the first time. I remembered THAT. Now, I have one in my neighborhood. I cant tell you, without looking, where it starts and where it ends.

When approaching an intersection, you'll get seen easier switching from the left portion of the lane to the right...just a few feet of sideways movement vs staying put in the center. Try it, and you'll see the person turning left making eye contact with you as you start the sideways movement.

I believe doing things like that, and adding the reflective stuff actually helps.
I do the side to side movement when someone approaches from a side street. I know that when I started wearing High Viz that drivers waited for me to pass when they would have easily pulled out before. They also move into the right lane when I am approaching way more often when I am wearing my High Viz and have my modulating LEDs than when I am in black with just the headlights.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took some pics of the bags tonight. First pic is of front of bag, second pic is of rear.

Distance about 25 Feet.

Distance about 50 Yards.

·
Registered
2006 Buell XB12Ss, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2018 BMW R1200RS
58 Posts
Awesome, number9. Thanks. I just ordered a couple of sheets. I had reflective pieces on the saddlebags of my K12000s and loved them. The really glow for added visibility.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.