RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my 650r and am dead set on moving up to a zx10. Budget is calling for probably a 04-07 and initially I was set on a gen 2 until I started reading on the forums that they are made out to be these horrible machines compared to the rest of the line up. Now, I know that is a bit of an overstatement and realistically you still got 170 hp beneath you... But, are they really noticeably worst than its predecessor? Will I really be thinking to myself "man I would have beat that hellcat if I got a 1st gen"... probably not.

Not to mention the stock dampener. That just seems to be a bonus as somebody who plans to ride this bike back and forth to college all the time (45 min drive).

Watching youtube vids people seem very happy with their 2nd gens. It happens to fall in the top10 0-60s according to a wikki page. So I mean can it really be that bad? I'm sure ill be tripping balls either way coming form the 650 hehe.

Not sure how productive this thread is going to be, but I am sitting in the library thinking about how much cooler my ride home would be tonight if I had a zx10r instead of the 650 :sneaky:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not rode one myself but..I would say take criticism of the bike with a pinch of salt, over the years I've found personal choice over hearsay is a better way to go, try and get a test ride first and you will know if you like it. My 2 cents

·
Administrator
2,643 Posts
With a lot of older models people tend to judge them by current standards/offerings. Pretty much an unfair comparision. Maybe do a search for reviews by motorcycle mags dating around the time the bike was released - you get a original opinion about the bike at the time of release.

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 ZX10R if you have riding ability and no fear this year "2nd gen" 06 is a very quick and with some fork tuning is a tough bike to beat.
It'll snap into a turn and carve hard with sticky tires "I run Pirreli Diablo's" ill match race pretty much any bike out there new or older I've had both and prefer the sexy lines and stout power and get up in the R's and she goes from calm Mello nice cruising sport bike to a blistering lightning bolt that's not only agile and rolling rubber up the sidewalls to a real-estate hungry monster. 0 to 198mph straight line is impressive I did change up my chain n sprocket to Alloy 520 conversion and shorty "Top Speed Racing" twin mufflers under and out the tail. After market rear sets ehh OEM feels just as comfy. There's a reason this year and model are either hard to find in mint condition, low mile bikes or a pile of busted up junk from an unskilled rider that thought he had it but was in over his head with this kind of power. They are sought out for the beautiful headlights and front cowel arrangement.
Thanks. keep carvin and wear your gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts