RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 concours with 9500 miles . I was just into 2nd gear while leaving a traffic light under perfect weather conditions in Florida and my councours began to bog down . The brakes were engaging without any action on my part . I came to a stop in the middle of the lane and my friend on a 13 year old concours who was following me hit my left bag and went down in the median . My friend and his bike were fine. The truck behind him stopped and we horsed my bike onto the median . My brakes remained fully engaged for 2 minutes or so and then finally relaxed . I rode around the nearby parking lot and then rode it 5 minutes home. It seems that for some reason the master cylinder fully engaged . If that had happened at a higher speed I might be dead . Im going to Trailer it to my closest dealer. Anybody else ever experience this or have a better idea what happened ?

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Do you have the stock brake lever on the bike? I have heard of an occasional issue with the abs pump, but not many.

Kawasaki has usually fixed research bad pumps under warranty. Even if the bike was no longer covered.

You should find a new riding friend. There is no excuse that is good enough for running into you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the stock brake lever on the bike? I have heard of an occasional issue with the abs pump, but not many.

Kawasaki has usually fixed research bad pumps under warranty. Even if the bike was no longer covered.

You should find a new riding friend. There is no excuse that is good enough for running into you.

Thanks for the response .I do have a stock lever. I will ask the dealer about the abs pump . It was a tough situation ...I think I will hang onto the friend .

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
What happens next time when you need to stop quickly? Does he knock you in front of the dump truck? I'd be more concerned about this than the brake lock up. That's fixable.. He was following too close.

When someone doesn't have that basic understanding, that is scary. Hopefully this is what it took for him to learn. Don't let them off by offering an excuse.

Always follow the rider you can't trust, if you are forced to ride with them.

Is your bike 100% stock? No peg lowering kit? I asked boitthe lever, but the pedal can do the same thing if it doesn't have enough play. The fluid can heat up, locking the system. When it cools down, the pressure releases.

In theory, you could do this if the master cylinder reservoir , front or rear, is too full, but you would see this.

The way yours cooled down and released makes me suspect this more so than a bad pump. Those typically stay locked.

·
見る
2,941 Posts
I would probably consider emptying the brake reservoir and flushing the front brake lines. If there is some crud in the reservoir then it could be blocking the fine needle hole in the bottom of the reservoir, meaning that the pressure is maintained to the brake pads. Letting the bike sit for a while allows the brake fluid to push the crud back into the reservoir - and on it goes.

I'm kind of on RC's side about your mate. No-one should be following that closely, especially since you said the brakes started to bog down, which implies not an emergency stop.

But hey - maybe you both learnt something.

Keep us posted on the cause of the issue - it might help other members who experience the same problem.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
OZ, your flushing comment. I like the idea. I My c14 is old,but I've flushed its brakes several times. Twice, per year, since 2010.

I bought it used, in late 2010. It only had 1700 miles on it and it was in perfect condition. Stock, except for a slip on exhaust .
The first time I flushed the brakes, they looked like they were full of pepper. The fluid looked ok . It wasn't discolored, but those chunks were visible. Once I flushed, they never came back. I say "they" because it looked like pepper chunks, or flakes. Perfect size to plug a small orfice.

Reactions: Ozninjaguy

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Please let us know how how this turns out....hopefully, it doesn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2020 concours with 9500 miles . I was just into 2nd gear while leaving a traffic light under perfect weather conditions in Florida and my councours began to bog down . The brakes were engaging without any action on my part . I came to a stop in the middle of the lane and my friend on a 13 year old concours who was following me hit my left bag and went down in the median . My friend and his bike were fine. The truck behind him stopped and we horsed my bike onto the median . My brakes remained fully engaged for 2 minutes or so and then finally relaxed . I rode around the nearby parking lot and then rode it 5 minutes home. It seems that for some reason the master cylinder fully engaged . If that had happened at a higher speed I might be dead . Im going to Trailer it to my closest dealer. Anybody else ever experience this or have a better idea what happened ?
I just had something going on...The rear brakes would drag after the first couple of stops...I think it was going on for sometime before I noticed it.I thought the rear caliper was sticking so i replaced it...No change....I decided it had to be in the master cylinder...I took it apart and there was some gunky stuff inside...I cleaned and bled the brakes and its fine....May not be the same thing going on but Master cylinders on these things are pretty cheap

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your ABS has air in the system. You need to activate the ABS system. I had the same problem, bled my brakes multiple times, didn't cure it. Took it out in the country and slammed on the brakes front and rear, cleared up after doing this twice. I did it many times more. It stops quick and straight, it will cure it. You can feel the ABS cycle. Let me know if it works.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Air in a system will cause you to not build pressure when you apply the brakes.. It won't cause the system to lock up. If you fixed yours by bleeding, you had something else happening.

This is a fairly well known issue that is abs pump related. Not air in the system related . Your hitting the brakes unstuck your pump, for now, but won't end up fixing anything long term.

·
見る
2,941 Posts
This is a fairly well known issue that is abs pump related. Not air in the system related . Your hitting the brakes unstuck your pump, for now, but won't end up fixing anything long term.
That's pretty much what I thought - but the Aprilia is the first ABS bike that I have ever owned, so I couldn't really contribute to the conversation. Especially since I'm experiencing the dreaded 'ABS light always on' situation and can't track down the problem.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I was able to cheat a bit on this answer. We have had a few concours 14 owners and a handful of ninja 1000 go through this same ans issue.

Kawasaki gave them new abs pumps, even though the warranty had expired several years before they had issues. This men's Kawasaki knows they have issues..

They all acted like Roger described.....occasional lock up, then they act normal like you fixed it. At some point, they lock up 100 and you call the tow truck, or worse.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Regardless of the causeof the lockup it's still recommended to replace the brake fluid every 2 years at minimum. The stuff absorbs water from the air and will at best cause the fluid to be gunky. At "medium" is it forms water in the lines and that boils under hard braking (vs DOT4 which has a high boiling point) - but by "medium" I still mean bad. At worst is it rusts and corrodes parts to the point or failure.

I'm also not talking about just replacing the stuff in the reservoir. Replace the fluid in the entire system. Then BLEED the brakes according to the manufacture's procedure. ABS bikes are often quite different than the old separate front and rear brake systems of older bikes. MotionPro makes a great inexpensive bleeder that's basically a one way check valve. You don't need anything fancy, expensive or vacuum operated.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Obo, for sure that needs to be number one for everyone. I think if we did this, yearly, we might avoid the brake issues in the first place. It doesn't take long to do, and the cost is cheap.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Also if you have a hydraulic clutch the same applies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts