RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - new to the forum, having been lurking for a few weeks, reading the Fork Swap informational thread.

Has anyone swapped the forks on the newer models? I have seen plenty of information on swaps for pre-2017 models and I believe the headstock is the same across the new and earlier models, so I am planning on giving it a try.

I've got a 2019 Ninja 650 and I've got the following parts on the way:

2003 ZX636R Top and Bottom Yokes
2005 ZX6R C1H Forks (including 2003 Tokico calipers)
2005 ZX6R Axle
2003 ZX6R Front Brake Master Cylinder
ZX14 Nissin Calipers

I plan on keeping the Ninja 650 front wheel and replacing the front wheel bearings with a thinner type to accommodate the 25mm ZX6R axle. The bearings I'll need are used on other motorcycles and so I believe they're be capable of this use case. They'll need a replacement hub spacer inside the wheel and a custom machined 1mm spacer behind the bearing. I'll give them a try and test them out before having the front wheel machined to suit proper ZX6R wheel bearings.

I have a few questions still to answer while I wait for the parts to arrive (this week hopefully).

1 - Will the Ninja 650 headstock bearings need replacing to suit the ZX636 stem?
I haven't been able to find any mention in previous swap threads. I don't know if this means I don't need to worry about it or if it's an oversight on otherwise very detailed write-ups / guides.

2 - Will standard clip-ons work with the Ninja 650 fairing fitted above the top yoke?
I think I'll need to use some 3-inch rise aftermarket clip ons to avoid clashes with the fairing and bars, but I'll see if standard 50mm clip ons will work when fitted above the top yoke before I order some.

3 - Will the standard Ninja 650 Master Cylinder be any use with ZX14R Nissins?
I'm not sure whether the MC will be up to the job - I have the ZX636 MC on the way too just in case, but I would prefer to retain the Ninja650 if it's of equal piston size / quality.

If anyone has already done this to a 2017+ Ninja 650 please do let me know any advice you may have.

Cheers!

Pingping

·
Registered
267 Posts
Awesome, another bike modifier... Welcome aboard!
I’ve been wondering the same thing (has anyone done a fork swap on newer models) I haven’t seen it done but it must be possible. I get excited when I read that others are having a crack at this stuff like me. I’m gonna do a brain dump of advice. Please take what you want from it. Its your bike. Do it for you.

Q1 if you compare the bearing no’s online (all balls racing) you’ll find they are the same for the 650 and the 636 https://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html

Q2 unless someone has done the swap this is hard to answer. A lot of people stick with bars for this reason. Not to say they won’t fit just if you want to avoid an issue ....

Q3 it will work but not well. Recommend a 3/4inch or 19mm master cylinder from Nissin you don’t need brembo to have good feel. The smart people know it’s a simple hydraulic circuit. The 6r item you’ve ordered will do the trick

I recommend measuring the fork length and making sure the zx6r ones are the right length. Also stem lendgth on the triple can be different.
Recommend taking it out and measuring first.
Also whilst zx6r forks are small (41mm) and light the older 10r forks are 43mm and just look beefier. Recommend 10r forks
I actually did two fork swaps on mine as a result of this and I’m much happier now with the bigger ones. 2008 zx10r top and bottom triple are bolt on fit on a 2009/10 and can hold 50/54 forks.
Make sure you post pics factor in twice as much time off the road than you estimate

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh and if you have ABS you need to figure out how to mount the sensor on the older forks. Have a look at my fork swap thread @1179 posted pics of his solution. Another guy called 6maniac over on kawiforums posted his too. Moving to clips will mean a shorter run on all the cables and lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts