RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Ninja 650 that is completely stock with 2K miles and I have been having issues with it backfiring through the air box. It seems to happen more frequently when I downshift and engine brake and then slowly get on the gas. It then "pops" through the air box and hesitates. This has been happening since it was new. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they don't have any ideas and I'm not able to recreate it for them.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I am also noticing that it seems to be backfiring through the exhaust now too, but that is much less pronounced.

Very frustrating!! please help

·
見る
2,998 Posts
I have a 2019 Ninja 650 that is completely stock with 2K miles and I have been having issues with it backfiring through the air box. It seems to happen more frequently when I downshift and engine brake and then slowly get on the gas. It then "pops" through the air box and hesitates. This has been happening since it was new. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they don't have any ideas and I'm not able to recreate it for them.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I am also noticing that it seems to be backfiring through the exhaust now too, but that is much less pronounced.

Very frustrating!! please help
A leak in your air injection system (a.k.a smog pumps or AIS) can cause a backfire through the intake. Check that it is sealed well or maybe consider buying a smog block off plate. Backfires through the exhaust are a result of lean air/fuel ratio, which is a result of emissions control. Your muffler generally does a good job of quietening them but as the fibreglass packing burns out of your muffler you will notice your exhaust note and the popping more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joeyg29 same with mine, except I see it when I downshift and engine brake too. I have been working with my dealer who has gotten the regional Kawasaki rep involved. Hopefully they will find a solution. If they do I will certainly post it here. I have also fowarded this and a few other related threads to my dealer for their review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joeyg29 same with mine, except I see it when I downshift and engine brake too. I have been working with my dealer who has gotten the regional Kawasaki rep involved. Hopefully they will find a solution. If they do I will certainly post it here. I have also fowarded this and a few other related threads to my dealer for their review.
I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

·
見る
2,998 Posts
I must say, I could be classified as somewhat of a leecher as well. I don't know a lot about motorcycles yet so I ask more than I help. But I always try and post the answer.
I was talking more about the guys who come online, ask a question, get a reply within a day or so and are never seen again.

Observing and learning is fine, but forums only survive through member interaction.

Post up comments on threads, create new ones...it's all good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was talking more about the guys who come online, ask a question, get a reply within a day or so and are never seen again.

Observing and learning is fine, but forums only survive through member interaction.

Post up comments on threads, create new ones...it's all good.
I must say, without joking, other people on this forum do inspire me to try and help others as well. I try and see if I can find people with issues that I've had already and comment how I fixed it. Hasn't occured often yet, but the more I learn..

·
Registered
6 Posts
So… did you guys find a solution or are you just gonna leave us hangin? I have a 2017 650 and it’s doing the same thing. It’s almost caused me to crash while turning a tight turn more than a few times.
For me the problem was with the secondary throttle valves. I believe the secondary throttle position sensor (not 100% sure on this part). Haven't had a problem since i got them looked at.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My former 2K8Z1K had a hesitation right off idle. Really showed up at curve apex when getting back on the throttle. I was able to correct it with a throttle position sensor adjustment. While it was set to spec, I increased the voltage to just above the upper limit--1.013vdc to 1.070vdc. When I went to do the same with the '12 C14 that I had, there were tamper-proof screws in place. The tool is available, but I ended up riding for 53k miles as it wasn't as bad as the Z1K.

Picture showing the pig-tail harness available from Kawasaki.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Font Book Handwriting Writing Publication

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts