RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Ninja 650 that is completely stock with 2K miles and I have been having issues with it backfiring through the air box. It seems to happen more frequently when I downshift and engine brake and then slowly get on the gas. It then "pops" through the air box and hesitates. This has been happening since it was new. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they don't have any ideas and I'm not able to recreate it for them.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I am also noticing that it seems to be backfiring through the exhaust now too, but that is much less pronounced.

Very frustrating!! please help

·
見る
2,936 Posts
I have a 2019 Ninja 650 that is completely stock with 2K miles and I have been having issues with it backfiring through the air box. It seems to happen more frequently when I downshift and engine brake and then slowly get on the gas. It then "pops" through the air box and hesitates. This has been happening since it was new. I have brought it to the dealer several times and they don't have any ideas and I'm not able to recreate it for them.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I am also noticing that it seems to be backfiring through the exhaust now too, but that is much less pronounced.

Very frustrating!! please help
A leak in your air injection system (a.k.a smog pumps or AIS) can cause a backfire through the intake. Check that it is sealed well or maybe consider buying a smog block off plate. Backfires through the exhaust are a result of lean air/fuel ratio, which is a result of emissions control. Your muffler generally does a good job of quietening them but as the fibreglass packing burns out of your muffler you will notice your exhaust note and the popping more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 and mine does the same thing. it only happens on partial throttle or when it's at idle and I gently blip the throttle. also worth saying it's been happening since mile zero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joeyg29 same with mine, except I see it when I downshift and engine brake too. I have been working with my dealer who has gotten the regional Kawasaki rep involved. Hopefully they will find a solution. If they do I will certainly post it here. I have also fowarded this and a few other related threads to my dealer for their review.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Joeyg29 same with mine, except I see it when I downshift and engine brake too. I have been working with my dealer who has gotten the regional Kawasaki rep involved. Hopefully they will find a solution. If they do I will certainly post it here. I have also fowarded this and a few other related threads to my dealer for their review.
I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

·
American Legion Rider
261 Posts
I really wish people that ask for help would come back and report what worked if anything or what had to be done to fix it.

·
見る
2,936 Posts
I really wish people that ask for help would come back and report what worked if anything or what had to be done to fix it.
That's the problem with forums these days. So many one-hit wonders who just want an answer, but don't want to contribute.

Reactions: Anddam

·
見る
2,936 Posts
I must say, I could be classified as somewhat of a leecher as well. I don't know a lot about motorcycles yet so I ask more than I help. But I always try and post the answer.
I was talking more about the guys who come online, ask a question, get a reply within a day or so and are never seen again.

Observing and learning is fine, but forums only survive through member interaction.

Post up comments on threads, create new ones...it's all good.

Reactions: Anddam

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was talking more about the guys who come online, ask a question, get a reply within a day or so and are never seen again.

Observing and learning is fine, but forums only survive through member interaction.

Post up comments on threads, create new ones...it's all good.
I must say, without joking, other people on this forum do inspire me to try and help others as well. I try and see if I can find people with issues that I've had already and comment how I fixed it. Hasn't occured often yet, but the more I learn..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts