RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the way home yesterday when the bike started to stutter. I look down and my display was going on and off. I get to a stop sign and the bike dies. I can’t get the display or any lights to turn on, the tachometer creeped it’s way up to 13 and stayed there. After getting it home I put it on a trickle charge overnight (it’s a brand new battery) and the only thing I got out of it was abs flashing up for .3 seconds when I turned the key.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
I was on the way home yesterday when the bike started to stutter. I look down and my display was going on and off. I get to a stop sign and the bike dies. I can’t get the display or any lights to turn on, the tachometer creeped it’s way up to 13 and stayed there. After getting it home I put it on a trickle charge overnight (it’s a brand new battery) and the only thing I got out of it was abs flashing up for .3 seconds when I turned the key.
Any thoughts?
Hi - welcome onboard. Did you remove the battery from the bike? Also, trickle chargers will not charge a completely dead battery - they are only meant to maintain a full charge. Try a battery charger overnight and let us know how you go.

Also, if the above works, you might want to check that the battery is receiving a charge from the regulator/rectifier. If that is toast, your bike will run off the batterys charge until it's flat - then you walk.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
58 Posts
Sounds like the regulator/rectifier to me. But if you manage to fully charge battery, run the bike at 2500-3000rpm, chercking output, which should be 12.5volts approximately, if lower it's the rectifier . Do this instead of taking the bike out for a ride on a fully charged battery, else you'll definitely end up pus;hing the bike home. :-( after 20-30 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
Sounds like the regulator/rectifier to me. But if you manage to fully charge battery, run the bike at 2500-3000rpm, chercking output, which should be 12.5volts approximately, if lower it's the rectifier . Do this instead of taking the bike out for a ride on a fully charged battery, else you'll definitely end up pus;hing the bike home. :-( after 20-30 miles.
A good reg/rec should be charging at around 14V.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
My guess would be the same however it's too new to be a component like this typically.
The OP hasn't been seen since the day he posted - so maybe he sorted it out....though I would like to have known what the problem was, for future reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts