RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I wanted to change the brake fluid in my Ninja 650. Is there a particular order to flush out the front brakes? Do I flush the left side caliper (further away from the master cylinder) first or do I flush the right (closer to master cylinder) first? Or does order not matter in the front?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Hello, I wanted to change the brake fluid in my Ninja 650. Is there a particular order to flush out the front brakes? Do I flush the left side caliper (further away from the master cylinder) first or do I flush the right (closer to master cylinder) first? Or does order not matter in the front?

Thank you
Why are you flushing the brake fluid? Your bike is less than 2 years old.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Brake fluid is highly hydrophilic. I have brake fluid testers and in my high humidity area it's not odd at all to see brake fluid with above 2% water content within a year. Below 1% is good, above 2% you should keep an eye on, and above 3-4% it's bad. Once water gets into the fluid high intensity brake performance deteriorates fast, not to mention potential corrosion issues.

If your bike doesn't have ABS, just go for it. It's relatively straight-forward. If your bike does have ABS, I'd really recommend a pneumatic brake bleeder or equivalent, since bleeding the air from the complicated circuit due to the ABS pump is often a small nightmare. I use and prefer pneumatic kits, but there are also hand-pump units.

And finally, be uber careful with drips and splashes. Brake fluid eats paint. Cover everything likely to get dripped on beforehand (I recommend using dog training pads as used here), and douse with water afterwards just to be safe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think furthest first.

FYI Ive found a unique way to bleed abs bikes that works for me. I dont have a minivac ( i dont have a garage :) ) It wastes more fluid though. I put a length of clear plastic tubing over the bleed nipple, the size needs to be a good tight fit over the bleed nipple and you need a few metres of it(yes, meters(6ft for those who are metrically impaired) and run it over the handlebar or even higher if you can and then back into a receptacle on the ground. Open the nipple and start pumping. Once you have an amount of fluid in the tube and it’s running through the caliper and into your waste receptacle, look closely at the fluid in the tube for any bubbles and continue to pump until it runs clear. Be careful!!! The reservoir on our bikes is small and itll take an amount to fill the circuit and theres a lot of waste. This is best done with a friend who can keep the reservoir topped up for you.

Once its clear, tighten the nipple pinch off the tube with small vice grips or just bend it over on itself, wrap a rag around and remove from one nipple, wipe off spillage and wash area immediately with water. Repeat for other side.

At the end of the day ABS or not this is simple physics and you just need the fluid to displace air which will naturally go to the highest point in the circuit which is the clear tube over your handlebar.

I might be crazy but this works for me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The general rule is start farthest from the reservoir. I can vouch for the method AusER6Guy uses, as that's what I do even though I don't have ABS. No one specifically said it, but do not get any fluid on your paint, unless you don't like your paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts