RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Better steering, lighter feel , and much nicer if you run into twisty roads.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm planning to pull mine off over the winter and give them to somebody who just wants to run interstate. Is the increased height at all noticeable with the /55? By my (probably wrong) mental calculation, it should be a little less than half an inch taller, right? I'm always reluctant to do things that make this bike taller...already gained some height with a different seat.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
It's technically 9.5mm taller, right? 190mm x (0.55 - 0.50) which is 3/8-inch. I will probably stick with 50 aspect. I can't disagree with the anecdotal evidence, but I don't see how or why this would make a big difference. I change my own tires, so I know I will experiment with it at least once. Agree the OE 21's are loud, especially mine are 5-years old and new! They hold pressure well so far and I'm happy that the TPMS matches my manual gauge. I like Bridgestone, but I will probably try PR3's and Angel GT's. Whatever turns out to be the best interstate/highway tire. Twisty roads scare me; I like to go straight.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Daddyflip, you might be right for migration to the dark side. How does the 40k mile car tire sound?

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
It's technically 9.5mm taller, right? 190mm x (0.55 - 0.50) which is 3/8-inch. I will probably stick with 50 aspect. I can't disagree with the anecdotal evidence, but I don't see how or why this would make a big difference. I change my own tires, so I know I will experiment with it at least once. Agree the OE 21's are loud, especially mine are 5-years old and new! They hold pressure well so far and I'm happy that the TPMS matches my manual gauge. I like Bridgestone, but I will probably try PR3's and Angel GT's. Whatever turns out to be the best interstate/highway tire. Twisty roads scare me; I like to go straight.
Its a decent difference, and very much worth the extra 6.00 the larger tire costs. If you google it, you'd find 95% of the users liking the change. https://www.google.com/search?q=190/55+for+concours+14&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Its not so much the height, its the sharper profile of the 190/55. It also corrects most of the speedometer error.

Kickstand is also more secure.

After all, its a tire. New tires are always nice. The way this size fixes the turn in, its worth having. Its not night and day, but its a feeling that will make you think it should come with this tire size.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
After an entry into a turn, I find noticeable counter-steer bar pressure is needed to maintain track. I wonder how the 55 series tire might help this.

On edit: More so at slower speeds.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The bike is a beast in the curves regardless. It is a very high speed bike and nimble and high speed usually add up to twitchy. I don't want twitchy at 120. The Trophy is not as comfortable at high speed, but much better in the curves.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting. For certain the Concours is not a problem for me in the corners, it's just something I notice. Even my Z1K was like that, but it would turn on a dime. It was fun to rider after riding the C14--it felt nearly weightless.

The bike is a beast in the curves regardless. It is a very high speed bike and nimble and high speed usually add up to twitchy. I don't want twitchy at 120. The Trophy is not as comfortable at high speed, but much better in the curves.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Interesting. For certain the Concours is not a problem for me in the corners, it's just something I notice. Even my Z1K was like that, but it would turn on a dime. It was fun to rider after riding the C14--it felt nearly weightless.
This is why two bikes is a blessing

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Not a problem for me in the corners either. Very planted. But compared to the Versys or the KLX250S, it take muscle to move the Concours around on tight roads. Especially with luggage loaded for a trip.

If you push it really hard on tight roads, it will upset the suspension.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did a few twisties with mine this weekend--the first since returning from a long highway trip that brought mileage to 4,500 on the OE tires. The bike felt terrible in the curves...high-effort, not at all stable, and not at all confidence-inspiring. I think it's the front more than the rear, but they're both coming off before I do any more sporty riding. I'll probably give the 55s a shot...I know my speedo error, but still like an accurate readout from the gauge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just bought a set of Bridgestone T30 GTs for $216 shipped from Jake Wilson. That's Shinko price territory, couldn't pass it up. Looking forward to getting the new shoes on her.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Had to go read about those tires. Same load rating as the PR3s Dual compound to boot! Pretty-good prices.

Do you change your own tires pechorin75?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Until now I've been spooning them on, but finally broke down and bought a No-Mar changer yesterday. Pricey, but they get really positive reviews (and they're $100 off right now, if anyone's in the market). Also bring good prices used, so figure I'm not risking much. The Connie will be the first test case on that...looking forward to a less frustrating experience.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I keep kicking the No-Mar can dow the street, and keep changing tires the hard way. Finally bought a bead-breaker last year. Stylin' now! ?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts