RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the 2016 model doesn't appear to reveal significant changes.

So, how about the 2017?

?.

I find myself not as curious as the preceding years as I become more and more less likely to purchase another Concours model.

Instead, mine will be around for quite a while and will only be used overnight and long adventures.

This is in anticipation of adding another bike once I get into a house back in TN.

The C14 has quite a bit of capability as it is right now. Each owner only has to personalize to suit preference.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I have no idea where I will be regarding bikes in 2017. By then, I should have finished off the lower 48. 4 riding buds have either given up riding or moved away. A couple others have lost the stamina for multi-week tours.
I may start doing the shamrock tours in roadrunner magazine. Haul a bike to the basecamp, and do the four 'day loops'.
Won't need a touring bike to do that.

Reactions: motocopter

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
If you look at the old , original Conours 1000, Kawasaki has no trouble letting the bike go for many years without update. I think you may see it go into 2020 with no updates other than emissions related and color changes.

It a tough bike to make changes to. There not much you can change without changing the intent, or spirit . What would you do?

I would like to see the low rpm power restrictions removed, but otherwise, I dont know what id ask for.

I feel like fancy electronics would end up being like a super nice 2010 car with a 10 disc cd changer in it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I could live without the secondaries.

Clear-coat on the paint would really be great!

Optional OEM handlebar supports bringing the bars a little closer, and not higher might be considered. Heck, why not have an option at the time of purchase? The buyer would get one set to their preference.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea where I will be regarding bikes in 2017. By then, I should have finished off the lower 48. 4 riding buds have either given up riding or moved away. A couple others have lost the stamina for multi-week tours.
I may start doing the shamrock tours in roadrunner magazine. Haul a bike to the basecamp, and do the four 'day loops'.
Won't need a touring bike to do that.
Have been up in the NE states yet?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I toured New England summer '14.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Were they still doing CD changers in 2010? Boy that was a flashback for me! I know I'm a Connie rookie, but I like its cable throttle better than the RBW I had on the Triumph. Perfect spring tension on the return also. Haven't missed cruise so far and I used it in town and everywhere on the Triumph. BUT there's no reason the factory cruise as found on the Venture/Vaquero/Nomad couldn't be offered as standard (or dealer installed accessory) with full warranty.

There are two things I would change so far: (1) go ahead and put an accessory power outlet on the left side as standard; (2) more range on the windscreen vertical movement. I like the factory low position but the high position isn't quite enough. Aftermarket tall screen fixes the high but messes up the low.

Oh perfection; how you elude us!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The throttle by wire on the Voyager is unique in that it still has a cable and still feels 'old school '. At the other end of the cable is where the magic happens so that the throttle doesn't move under your hand when under cruise control. If Kawasaki implemented that on the Concours, it would feel as it does now. For the way I ride, I don't notice any difference on the trophy.

Now that I have experienced electronic suspension adjustment, I would continue to choose it if offered on the bike I am looking at.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The C14 stock suspension is one that works great for me. The only thing I would like to so is be able to tweek compression.

I just might a rare case where I do not feel compelled to modify the stock stuff. I works for me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I toured New England summer '14.
There is a mapped out gps file in a folder just awaiting to be loaded and followed. It's got an excursion into Manhattan Island just for that experience.

My option then is to enter Canada from the Niagara Falls gate, and then ride up and over the Great Lakes.

If I can get myself back to TN, that is where I will launch from. ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got a great deal on a leftover 2014 and have spent the past few months tweaking it to my specs, so am unlikely to trade up anytime soon. That said, here are a few things that, in combination, would really tempt me (or at least keep the magazine reviewers from giving the bike such a hard time for being "old").

1) RBW + Cruise
2) Variant of the current ZX-14R engine (sans the low-end neutering of the current bike)
3) LED or HID lights (preferably with something like BMW's shine-around-the corner feature)
4) Another gallon of fuel
5) Slightly less "ribbed for your pleasure" styling
7) Better stock rubber
7) A smaller muffler!

One thing I DON'T want them to change: Analog speedometer! I don't care if it's nothing more than a digital image, I want a needle!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too like the current display and the text size. It is easy for me to read. The K1600 required me to put on my readers to see in focus. An additional gallon of fuel would be welcome for sure. Although I've had a couple of 230 mile tanks without stopping, and each time was really ready for a break. I did carry a one gallon Rotopax fuel can on my last two trips and never needed the fuel. It was nice to know it was there.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I got a great deal on a leftover 2014 and have spent the past few months tweaking it to my specs, so am unlikely to trade up anytime soon. That said, here are a few things that, in combination, would really tempt me (or at least keep the magazine reviewers from giving the bike such a hard time for being "old").

1) RBW + Cruise
2) Variant of the current ZX-14R engine (sans the low-end neutering of the current bike)
3) LED or HID lights (preferably with something like BMW's shine-around-the corner feature)
4) Another gallon of fuel
5) Slightly less "ribbed for your pleasure" styling
7) Better stock rubber
7) A smaller muffler!

One thing I DON'T want them to change: Analog speedometer! I don't care if it's nothing more than a digital image, I want a needle!
I like that my Trophy has the analog gauges, but also allows you to display digital speed on the center display. I felt that Kawasaki should have done that as well. I usually kept the display on temp or tire pressure. Of course, on the trophy I can monitor all three at the same time.

Stock rubber never bothered me. It was gone in a couple months anyway.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
There is a mapped out gps file in a folder just awaiting to be loaded and followed. It's got an excursion into Manhattan Island just for that experience.

My option then is to enter Canada from the Niagara Falls gate, and then ride up and over the Great Lakes.

If I can get myself back to TN, that is where I will launch from. ��
I went up into Canada in September and we took the Chi-Cheemaun ferry from Tobermory on the tip of the Bruce Peninsula to South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island. Some nice camping in Tobermory. That is a hammock under the tarp.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went up into Canada in September and we took the Chi-Cheemaun ferry from Tobermory on the tip of the Bruce Peninsula to South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island. Some nice camping in Tobermory. That is a hammock under the tarp.

Canada in September sounds interesting. Were there some remaining warm days?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Canada in September sounds interesting. Were there some remaining warm days?
There were warm days for us. It is always hit or miss depending on the jet stream. Have to be prepared for anything. I wore mesh gear, with rain gear for wind and rain break, as well as heated vest, and fleece pullover for cooler temps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stock rubber never bothered me. It was gone in a couple months anyway.
I didn't think the stock tires were going to bother me either (apart from being kinda noisy), but now with 4,500 miles I can see what people were talking about. They still look great, no flat spots, but for some reason it seems to take about three times as much effort to lean the thing over and hold it in a turn.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
When you replace the tires, and use the 190/55 out back, you will regret every single inch you rode with the stock tires.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
When you replace the tires, and use the 190/55 out back, you will regret every single inch you rode with the stock tires.
I waited until the 4th rear to go with 190/55 out back and personally didn't notice a difference between a new 190/50 and a 190/55.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does it seem like the 190/55 tire gets favorable simply because fresh rubber rolls better than old, worn out rubber?

Or, is it a track day upgrade?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts