RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to get my bike ready for the year and I noticed the oil is low. So an oil change is going to happen before I get a chance to ride it. I'd like to put synthetic in so it's good for a couple years with the miles I put on the bike.

What's a decent brand that people like that isn't the most expensive on the planet? Also where is a good place to order it? The local dealer bike shop has crazy prices.

I'm in WI right now, but may be moving to FL where it's hotter. I don't know if that changes what type of oil I need or not.

Thanks, and as always with me... expect more questions that are probably stupid, because I'm not mechanically inclined :killingme

·
Registered
99 Posts
She’ll Rotella T6 (doesn’t have the energy savings stamp). Used by many bikers across all brands and modes. It’s a 5W-40 or 15W-40 but cheap and decent synthetic.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
5W40 Rotella T6 works just fine in bikes rated for 10W40. I've run it through 3 VFR800's for about 250k miles, done a few oil analysis just to be sure and the fact it's about a quarter the price of other "motorcycle specific" synthetics is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The important number is the last one 40, wich is the weight. The first number followed by a "W" is rather generic, meaning the (W)winter designation. 5W is for colder enviromment, 15W for warmer. 10W is about the middle. The manufacturer does not know where you live, and unless you live in Siberia, or the North African Desert, it would have little impact.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The important number is the last one 40, wich is the weight. The first number followed by a "W" is rather generic, meaning the (W)winter designation. 5W is for colder enviromment, 15W for warmer. 10W is about the middle. The manufacturer does not know where you live, and unless you live in Siberia, or the North African Desert, it would have little impact.
That's good to know. I picked up some of the Walmart brand they had in stock. They were 8.50/qt. It didn't sound to bad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ive run t6 in my 650 since i copped the bike in 2014. if you really need a 10w40, the zx crowd swears by amsoil or motul, but i may just run a castrol full t4 synthetic since its JAS MO rated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts