RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2016 Versys 650 LT from a dealer in WV. Just did my first oil change. I noticed that I've got what I believe is an 02 sensor into the muffler. On past threads it seems the US versions don't have the sensor.
Do the 2015 and 2016 models all have the sensors now or did I end up with a non US model? I've also read about some non US models being restricted. Now I'm wondering which version I have??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed that it sure looks like my muffler is welded to the header pipe. Whats up with that? Kind of makes it hard to put a slip on, on it??? I've read that the bikes that have the 02 sensors use different fuel injectors and a different ecu, something about a closed loop vs open loop system. Could this dealer have sold me a non us model? I've also noticed that my paperwork shows a one year warranty on the bike. I was told that the LTs have a two year warranty.
Anyone out there have a 2016 LT? Does yours have the 02 sensor and welded on muffler?? I'd sure like to know if this dealer pulled one on me. I'll call Kawasaki USA today and see what they say.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
No, you have a US bike. Most manufacturers are going to closed loop systems now, and slip on exhaust are becoming a thing of the past. You have to buy a full system if you want to change out the exhaust to annoy your neighbors. Just get a quality loud horn mounted on the bike to let people know you are in their blind spot when they start to move over into your lane.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct. I called Kawasaki USA and they took my VIN. All the 2015 and 2016 models have the one piece exhaust systems and 02 sensor. As much as I'd like to, dropping $1000 for a new system, and then another $500 for a pc 5 with the auto tune seems a bit pricy for the little HP gain that I've told I'd gain. I have been told that running a PC5 and auto tune works well with the stock exhaust. Some say the auto tune doesn't work the well?? It seems there aren't that many maps available for versys. Dyno Jet only has one base map for it.
Any one out there with a 2015 or 16 running a pc5 with auto tune??

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
You are correct. I called Kawasaki USA and they took my VIN. All the 2015 and 2016 models have the one piece exhaust systems and 02 sensor. As much as I'd like to, dropping $1000 for a new system, and then another $500 for a pc 5 with the auto tune seems a bit pricy for the little HP gain that I've told I'd gain. I have been told that running a PC5 and auto tune works well with the stock exhaust. Some say the auto tune doesn't work the well?? It seems there aren't that many maps available for versys. Dyno Jet only has one base map for it.
Any one out there with a 2015 or 16 running a pc5 with auto tune??
Just buy the exhaust you want. You don't need to do anything to the fueling unless you want to. Like you said, as far as the tuning if it really makes any difference at all in terms of performance (acceleration times) I'd be surprised at all.

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
Auto tune is entertaining. You tune fueling for feel.

Just guessing, but I'll bet something about it bothers you? Notice vics reaction. His zx14 has excellent fueling, stock. His reaction would be a big Why?

My ninja 1000 was bad, so it makes more sense.

I would recommend this. Have a definite goal in mind. Know what you don't like. It's way easier to "improve 1/4 throttle, 4000 rpm" than it is to "just make it all better"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm being told that the best gain for the buck is a pcv and auto tune while leaving the stock exhaust on . A header and slip on will run nearly $1000 and not mapping it would seem like a waste. By running the auto tune, Id end up with a good map and a nicer running bike. I'll get the bike broken in and then put the pcv on.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Auto tune is entertaining. You tune fueling for feel.

Just guessing, but I'll bet something about it bothers you? Notice vics reaction. His zx14 has excellent fueling, stock. His reaction would be a big Why?

My ninja 1000 was bad, so it makes more sense.

I would recommend this. Have a definite goal in mind. Know what you don't like. It's way easier to "improve 1/4 throttle, 4000 rpm" than it is to "just make it all better"
This isn't entirely true. Just as many people as a % of owners, complain about 14R's fueling/throttle response as do N1ks, Z1ks, 650s. Go to Ivan's site. Look up his 14/14R products. Fixes all the same exact issues you complain about your bike.

I have 2 ECUs, one flashed with a popular ECU flash for 14Rs and an OE ECU. Many people have the flash product I have. Many report better and smoother throttle response, low end is better, and bike is faster. Frequently people say (literally) that the bike pulls way harder. I can put them in back to back and try them out to feel and hear the differences. and I have.

Here's my problem. I've done actual performance testing. The bike doesn't pull way harder, in fact in straight acceleration it's actually .1 second slower on average with the flashed ecu (3rd/4th gear acceleration test). Now when I read or hear someone telling me the bike pulls way harder with their same flashed ECU and this same person tells me how much more low end, how much smoother, and how much everything else is better it makes me question it all because I know for a fact the bike doesn't pull way harder it makes me question everything they're claiming.

IMO upgrades have the most impact between the ears of the rider. For one thing, even if a bike picked up 2/10ths in the quarter (10.5 to 10.3) which would be an ASTONISHING increase in performance it would be difficult to feel that difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts